It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq violence: Diyala mosque bomb attack 'kills 20'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

A suicide bomb blast inside a Sunni mosque in central Iraq has killed at least 20 people and injured dozens more, officials say.

The explosion hit the Abu Bakr al-Sadiq Mosque in the town of Wajihiya in Diyala province, police said, wounding around 40 people.

A surge of violence in recent weeks has seen a number of mosques targeted.

More than 2,500 Iraqis have died in violent attacks since April, according to UN figures released this month.

Witnesses said the bomber in the latest attack had detonated his explosives as the imam was giving his sermon.

SOURCE
Another day of terror and death in a country that the west supposedly liberated to bring about peace and prosperity. 2,500 dead since April. What a tragic state of affairs Iraq has been left in.

Though, it appears that some of the reasons for these horrific attacks are the result of the ancient dispute between the two most prevalent sects and commented on by the author:

The recent rise in violence comes amid heightened tensions between Iraq's Sunni and Shia communities, amid claims by the Sunnis that they are being marginalised by Prime Minister Nouri Maliki's Shia-led government.

What is also truly shocking on top of the absurd number of people dying on weekly basis, is the little to no coverage beyond a scrolling marque stating the new recent death tolls and the few articles posted online from time to time. Why are we no longer seeing the in-depth stories, why no public outcries, why no interest anymore?

This site keeps a running count: Iraq Body Count

According to this site the current totals as of 2003-2013

113,265 – 123,994

If you check out the site, you will see that these tragedies are consistent and ever present.

I have my own theories, but would love to hear what you all think.

Is this just the perpetuation of an age old rivalry or has the continued extraction of western forces from the nation leaving it in a more archaic and chaotic state then prior the invasion?

Do people still care anymore?

Does the western have any responsibility in this?

Do this kind of conflict ever end?

I put these questions to you.

regards

edit on 19-7-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I guess the lack of interest in the thread is evidence that perhaps peoples attentions have tired of Iraq and the issues it suffers from.

I presume the population at large gets bored with anything after enough time...

Backstreet Boys....Clinton/Lewinsky...Iraq......

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
Though, it appears that some of the reasons for these horrific attacks are the result of the ancient dispute between the two most prevalent sects and commented on by the author:

Exactly

Sectarian violence.

This site keeps a running count: Iraq Body Count

According to this site the current totals as of 2003-2013 113,265 – 123,994

The vast majority of Western troops have been gone for a while now. Whats with the link?
I know many here still believe Millions were killed. I'm glad to see you posting more realistic numbers and admitting to the fact the Sectarian violence is still taking it's toll.

Originally posted by MDDoxs
I guess the lack of interest in the thread is evidence that perhaps peoples attentions have tired of Iraq and the issues it suffers from.

I think many here may possibly recognise the spin.

I dunno for sure...

I know I do.

edit on 19-7-2013 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Does the western have any responsibility in this?

Nope as we went home as per their request.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Here is an interesting perspective on the topic.

I'm not completely in agreement with it but it's still interesting.

Sectarian Violence Rises Sharply In Iraq

More than 2,000 people have been killed in Iraq since April. That's as high as it's been since the sectarian war of 2006 and 2007. Many people compare the recent violence to that conflict, but there are some key differences....

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Until there is another dictator in office to rule the different groups with an iron fist this will continue to happen, unless one group wipes out another finally. Those are about the only ways this will end.

The US was only able to keep it somewhere in the neighborhood of being in check because both groups hated US troops more than each other. When the Iraqi government asked them to leave, it opened the door for them to go nuts (more than they already had been). The Iraqi military and police weren't even close to ready for this, and it shows.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

MCEVERS: Many analysts blame Iraq's troubles on the U.S., for turning away from Iraq after U.S. troops left in 2011.There is a concerted U.S. diplomatic effort underway to keep Iraq from imploding. But Mardini says the U.S., in particular the White House, could do more.

So it's our fault that old hatred reared it's ugly head once again?

Everyone knew this was going to happen when we left.

IMO.
edit on 19-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Yeah,
It was fashionable to cry about death tolls in Iraq when it was in conjunction with an anti American agenda but they've got what they want and the US is out of there.
Still lots of people dying every day.
So how do we explain any death on the planet without being able to blame the USA? We all know that everything is Americas fault. (but not Obama's)

I don't know.
Maybe people should check out any part of history prior to 1776. See if people really never killed others before the US existed.
edit on 19-7-2013 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

It's sad, isn't it. Been going on before we brought "democracy" to the region, it'll go on long after we've returned to the earth.

Let me ask, where does America's responsibility end? When does it end?

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
It is almost just a normal occurrence for the region.
Hard to imagine how the people of the area just continue to put up with it
and not make any efforts to stop it. They must not have any real investigative
skill

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

The sad part in all of this is that they are not even targeting their so called "enemies" anymore (not that I want them to target anyone). They are just attacking innocents and civilians...

People who just try to make it day to day and live a "normal" life. How normal is a life in a war type of state is beyond me, but I am sure some people out there that just want to be at peace with this whole thing...

-SAP-
edit on 19-7-2013 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Actually it all started when the US came and took over and installed the shiat, we the Arabs knew that it will end up like this because we know the shiat more than anyone else in the world , the shiat hate us sunnies more than anybody , even more than the Jews , Jews have rights in Iran more than the sunnies , and that's why saddam was the right person in that region , he was the only one who could deal with the situation over there , and of course the US government knew that but only cared for the oil , and when they secured that its off and away time , let those bastards kill each other who cares as long as we have what we came for .

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr UAE

Wanna try again?

Sunni Shia fighting is as old a the country itself.

Meh

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

It's not that I disagree with you on this point , this conflict has been there from the beginning I know , but it wasn't as bloody as it is today in Iraq , not even close , but do you disagree with me that Iraq was better off before the invasion ? This is what I meant.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr UAE

Better or worse

Sunni and Shiites are killing each other.

How about personal responsibility?
Are they not responsible for their own actions?

What?

Are they a bunch of brainless religious fanatical automatons?

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr UAE
reply to post by neo96

Actually it all started .... .

You know I havent seen anything mentioned about Iran and the Saudis part in the sectarian conflict. Are we going to discuss those two? You do know they are the major suppliers and supporters of those two camps killing each other and those caught in the crossfire.

Wanna go over that bit of ground?

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I don't agree with the invasion by the US. I wish they would have stayed away. But, to be fair, according to Wiki, many more people died under Sadam's regime. US culpability only goes so far...

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I'm not debating here , all I said was that Iraq was better off before the invasion , yes Iran is controlling Iraq now , and the imams of shiat are threatening us sunnies that they are coming after us , if you know Arabic I will be glad to put links of YouTube vids of their imams addressing their followers that it is a sin not to kill a Sunni , and as for the KSA (and I'm not a Saudi) they have no power in Iraq , but let me give you an information about us sunnies , for example here in my country UAE ( when it was called coast of Oman ) more than 50 years ago, shiat people were living with us peacefully , they were never harmed , on the contrary , they had the same rights we had , but over there in Iran after the Khomeini came in to power , the sunnies lost all their rights , and ask any Iranian Sunni about this fact , they don't raven have the right to builde their own mosques .

Anyway as i said ,I'm not here to debate , I just wanted to say that Iraq was better off before the invasion , we who live in this region know it .

I have to go now cuz it's time to sleep , goodnight

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr UAE

Good

There isnt anything to debate.

All the supporters of those two camps have blood on their hands

Sleep well

top topics

join