It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deep connections to certain animals?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
So, I want to know if anyone who has or has kept greyhounds had this same experience.

I've never had a greyhound. As far as I can remember it, I woke up one morning out of the blue and I felt strongly compelled to research about these beautiful dogs. I feel so, so strongly connected to these dogs (and I've never shared my life with one) that I tear up whenever I see one. I have a beautiful beagle that we rescued from Kentucky (i'm in WNY), and I love my beagle just as much as I could anyone else. But...

I never would have picked a beagle. I'm glad I have her, and I think she was meant to be in my life. Short summary: My wife found her on facebook on a sunday morning. She was scheduled to be destroyed the following morning because the "shelter" that picked her up only had 22 kennels. My wife literally cried over this dog and called the shelter, we pulled some strings, and had a few generous (strangers, basically) pay for, and transport the dog. She's a beagle, we live in an apartment, we are only allowed 2 pets. We have 4 cats and 4 aquariums, well over the size limits of fish tanks. (125 gallons in living room, only allowed a single 20 gallon)
Our beagle never barks. She's a quiet beagle. Our landlord knew we had the extra cats and stuff, she was fine with it. When she saw Lucy we thought she'd be upset. She allowed us to keep her too. So, my wife felt connected to this dog when we first got her.

And I feel this indescribable love for greyhounds. Everything about them. I have no idea where this came from. But once I can afford it, I know I'll spend the rest of my life with these lovely dogs.

Anyone have any experiences/stories like this?

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Wow, I have had some similar experiences. I have a 3 legged dachshund puppy that my wife saved, basically no one wanted her, I didn’t really either. But I fell in love with her and I kept her after the divorce. Now, just in the last few days I've felt eerily drawn to snakes, researched them, learned more about them in three days then I ever would have. Can’t explain it. I know its not quite the same, but weirdly similar.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Greyhounds are a special breed. This guy spent about a year with us, while finding his "forever home"...

My breed is GSDs and I will always have a special place in my heart for them, but I do understand the attraction to Greys.

If you have a greyhound rescue close to you, you could volunteer and get to know a lot of great dogs and really help the breed.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Just want to start off saying, I have a Black Lab "Jack" and my gf a Beagle "Rubi" and they are awesome. My gf wanted a Beagle really bad, always has, and my friends fiance had an uncle or something looking for homes, well Rubi was given to an old lady who couldn't keep up with the responsibilities to take car of a puppy, and when we laid eyes on her she named her, and me also, just knew she was ours for her entire life, it was meant to be.

My father had rescued a Grey Hound that was a track dog, retired, needing a home. His name was Timber, and he was a great dog. They seem to be dumb, we called him peanut head sometimes, but when you look into their eyes, at least with Timber, you could see his loyalty and who he was. We didn't get along good at first, but that changed over time. Timber was then plagued by a series of seizures, where he could barley move, and would shake, and look scared. It wasn't like a seizure I've seen a human have, but most likely due to the fact he was a track dog, and was probably given drugs for any number of reasons during this time.

After years, when a high school team mate of mine was playing his rookie year in the Superbowl starting for the Giants, and the weekend of my fathers birthday, he got called into work a crossed the country in TX. Timber had recently been diagnosed with bone cancer. My Dad was in the slumps a bit, but Timber had been given pain killers from our vet, and he was happy he was feeling himself again. Well, we let Timber out to use the bathroom and he went for a run as he used to do all the time, just loved running. He didn't come back... hours passed and we couldn't find him, it was icy and cold out, snow on the ground; then finally we heard him in agony outside, we let him in and his rear leg was no good, all swollen, and we could tell something bad had happened. He went for a run, and because of the pain killers we think, he didn't know he was "in pain". Either he slipped and fell, or the cancer weakened bone just went. The next morning my mother and I brought him to the vet and he said he needed to be put down, his bone had shattered and their was no more they could do. We called my father in TX and for the first time ever, I heard my Dad cry. He tried to hide it, but the silence told me he just couldn't hold it back. I spent Timbers last moments with him looking into his eyes, and it was surreal. Only once before have I had to do this, to my old Black Lab, "Black Jack". I'll never forget those 2 moments I had to give the ok to end a dogs life to end their suffering. They really are mans best friend!

I say ask your landlord first, any pet should be kept for life, but no doubt Greyhounds are amazing dogs.
edit on 7/19/13 by SixX18 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/19/13 by SixX18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
By caring for the beagle and getting attached to it, you are learning to communicate with the beagle through collective consciousness. Both parties have to want this for it to happen, both parties have to respect the other or the communication can be onesided. The beagle is impressed by the big dog and is influencing you to want one. It is not evil, it is not wrong. A person should know that this can happen though.

We have to learn to deal with this, some people are influenced easy by this alpha communication and sometimes connecting to a corrupt or evil person can link their minds. The church tried to teach people strong morals and to resist temptation or actually this communication with the wrong kind of people.

Slip slide, and the saying that you are who your friends are by association applies, even though association does not mean you automatically leave in communications that you do not want. Your mind controls your body, your body does not control your mind is another saying my father used to tell me. If you believe something it will happen, we can move a mountain if we want to.

Tell your dog that you aren't getting another dog, especially a big one. He will understand and hopefully quit bugging you. Learning to block what you do not want is good, but to do this you should know what is happening. People were picked as bosses or teachers for their ability to send out the alpha signal to control people. If the person is knowledgeable and good, this is a good thing. If they are corrupt or believe in things that are not true, this can be a problem. It is also a good way to condition society, a person believes what an alpha says more than other brain waved people. In business it was beneficial to promote a person who disrupted people, they could be trained to control the workers.

So your dog is boss in your house I guess

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
My neighbor rescued 2 greyhounds that had to go together as a pair a few years back they also loved (thought they loved at the time)
this breed of dog.... they did tons of research and they thought they were ready.
These dogs require a special care they are rambunctious they need training and tons of exercise.NOT a apartment dog in any means.
They also ran away quite often finding anyway to get out of their fenced yard and this exhausted them to a point of wondering why they took these dogs in. The dogs destroyed their back yard from running in circles ripping up their lawn. They stuck through it although it was doubtful at times they would, but these dogs finally calmed down a TAD and turned into 2 very nice dogs they were still a little jumpy but they were good dogs in my opinion. These neighbors have since moved to a larger home/property when asked why they were moving from such a wonderful house ( and wonderful neighbors lol) they wanted more room for their dogs ..... these dogs like their room! They did grow to love them incredibly,but you have to have the patience. Good luck.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Well, I love spiders. I admire the fact that they are perfectly adapted hunters and killers, and that they have evolved to use thier surroundings and habitat in such interesting ways. But in terms of an actual connection?

I would have to say that cats seem pretty drawn to me, and I love cats. It doesnt matter what species of cat it happens to be, furry, tabby, marmalade, male and female, young and old, massive or tiny. I cannot have a cat at the moment, because I still live with my mother, and she is allergic, and also hates the smell of cat food, litter trays disgust her, yada yada... But I freakin LOVE cats.

My friend used to have a cat, and that cat used to love me to death. I would sit down after walking into my friends place, and it would be no more than five seconds before I got a lap full of cat. She (the cat) was a sweet heart. I would wake up after a nap to find this cat ,sitting on my chest,staring down at me, playing with my beard and so on. She died about a year or so back. Two of my other friends have four cats at present, two of which are Sphynx cats, and two are devonshire rex. One of them is a kitten. All are fantastically cute, super friendly, and barmy as all hell. None of them are particularly smart though!

Theres also a cat which lives in one of the houses near my place, which regularly sits on the front garden walls of properties in a two block radius of its own home. If I walk by, and the dude is sitting on the wall, I reach out my hand and put it on the wall, and the dude will walk up my arm, and sit on my shoulder, take a walk with me, then stride off back home when I get to the end of the street.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by starlitestarbrite

I don't know WHAT was going on with your neighbors, but I have never heard a greyhound story like that before.

Originally posted by starlitestarbrite
They also ran away quite often finding anyway to get out of their fenced yard and this exhausted them to a point of wondering why they took these dogs in. The dogs destroyed their back yard from running in circles ripping up their lawn.

Were these dogs kept outside? If so, that was the problem. They are not outside dogs. They are very social and need to be with their people.

They actually make lovely apartment dogs. Most racers are kept in crates at all times, except during exercising periods. They do need a daily sprint and a couple short walks, but otherwise, they are couch potatoes.

How much exercise does a greyhound need?

Many greyhounds live in small apartments with no yard, but their owners are committed to 2-3 short walks and 1-2 long walks a day. Your level of commitment must be able to handle your living situation. A greyhound appreciates a brisk walk every day. They also enjoy a good run in a fenced area a couple of times a week. We recommend a fenced yard for your home but its not required.

Greyhound Adoption

edit on 7/19/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

No no they were not kept constantly outside or housed outside it was during the day and early eve
when they let them out for awhile they did nothing but run, digging in and ripping up their grass.
I couldn't imagine keeping these guys in a small apartment all they wanted to do was run and be outside. These 2 people really loved them to death that's what I think turned them around and they calmed down from what she told me they were young and they were brought to a shelter they were never "racers" if that's what you call it they were great with people never had a issue with that. I don't know anything about Greyhounds and they were the first I have ever seen.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by DarwinVsJesus

Squirrels. Their antics are sooo funny!

On the reverse side, I am totally disconnected from bears. I have never been around them, nor have I ever been threatened by one, yet I have nightmares about them. With so many other powerful predators to be frightened of (lions, tigers, cougars, panthers...) I have no idea why my mind focuses on bears.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DarwinVsJesus

Yep! I adopted a greyhound who had broken his foot racing....he was about 2 years old.......

he was really intense......so soft, and SO gentle!!!! He (at the beginning) had no idea how to live in a 'house' with a 'family' - used to raid my daughter's bedroom for her stuffies (plush toys), drag around the blankets...
once chewed up the upholstery of the minivan we had.....

but, he was a good boy.....
like Santa's Little Helper.

I miss him.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Ohhh!!!! That looks JUST LIKE Kelmsie! "Kelmscott".
His racer name was "M-80 Firecracker"
yeah, we dumped that name asap.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Greyhounds are a special breed. This guy spent about a year with us, while finding his "forever home"...

My breed is GSDs and I will always have a special place in my heart for them, but I do understand the attraction to Greys.

If you have a greyhound rescue close to you, you could volunteer and get to know a lot of great dogs and really help the breed.

That's a beautiful dog. I worked with Companion Animal Rescue Society of Canisius College and we had an event about greyhound adoption and it was the first time I was ever in close proximity to a greyhound. They are almost magical; the way they move is amazing.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I'll and dig up the picture of Lucy when she was in the kennel. She was #73.

Here's what she looks like now. This is proof that you can adopt a dog from a shelter and still get a beautiful, purebred dog.

I don't know how to make the picture part of the post

edit on 20-7-2013 by DarwinVsJesus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join