It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evil Facebook Data Mining!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Isn't all that evil, but entirely genius. Evil genius?

We all hear Google say: "Don't be evil" but everything they do seems kinda evil when you look at it through a lens. And for some reason, Facebook always comes out the bad guy.

Well, I used a new option on Facebook and I just have to say, it completely shattered my opinion on data mining.

I am familiar with data mining and advertising and media in general, but it was until just recently I took advantage of Facebook ads. As a business owner, and an advertiser I have to say what Facebook offers is unparalleled.

You can decide on who see's your ads, "Age, location, race" Which eliminates a ton of nonspecific people that you don't want to pay money to advertise to.

Let's say you are a Hispanic band, that sings in Latin, and heck, maybe it's jazz even. So a latin Jazz band who only really attracts Latinos from ages 35-60, and you are a local band that doesn't do gigs outside of a 50 mile radius, well, with a few well placed options, you can make sure you are only advertising to people in that demographic. More than that, you can advertise to people who know your "friends" on there, but only people who are not already connected to your band. To sweeten the deal, in doing this you are also only advertising to people who "Liked" Latin Jazz bands similar to yours. You are essentially only advertising to people who would be your kind of followers.

For anyone paying hard earned money for advertising, they know how useful, how wanted, how delightful something like this is. There is nothing worse than doing a big media campaign, dumping a huge portion of your marketing budget into it, only to learn you got 0 ROI back and you probably weren't even hitting the right audience.

That is big.

So in a nutshell, Facebook ain't that evil. And as the old sayings go, "Follow the money" and "money talks", etc. This is it right here. No grand conspiracy. Show me the money Jerry, "It's right here, in Facebook."

This kind of advertising is a goldmine.

I would literally spend thousands on something like this because I've spent thousands on something where I had no idea on my demographics.

edit on 19-7-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Are you saying this is something you have tried?

I can see the huge amount of benefits from doing this. At one time "Pay Per Click" was the in-thing.
I am not sure how that is going these days, but it sounds like this is a much better deal and has more potential to gain a market foothold.

Right now Facebook and other social media sites are not very appealing to me.

It does make sense though since Facebook has boasted over 1 billion active users a month. That is a gigantic audience. That you can specify details of which parts of the audience you want to target is phenomenal in this day and age.

I have been working on getting my patent approved for the last several months and have been racking my brain on marketing ideas. After reading this I think I very well may investigate this further.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
WHile I do not personally Facebook, my business does. Of course, being 6 months old, we are ironing out wrinkles. And our FB presence is one that i put in my crosshairs about a week ago. So this information is quite timely.

I am going to look this information up a little later this morning. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadellacZumbrum
reply to post by boncho

Are you saying this is something you have tried?

I can see the huge amount of benefits from doing this. At one time "Pay Per Click" was the in-thing.
I am not sure how that is going these days, but it sounds like this is a much better deal and has more potential to gain a market foothold.

Right now Facebook and other social media sites are not very appealing to me.

It does make sense though since Facebook has boasted over 1 billion active users a month. That is a gigantic audience. That you can specify details of which parts of the audience you want to target is phenomenal in this day and age.

I have been working on getting my patent approved for the last several months and have been racking my brain on marketing ideas. After reading this I think I very well may investigate this further.

$10 can net you anywhere from 6-10,000 impressions. Depending on whether or not the people you are targeting are interested at the given moment they see your ad, you may get a few "likes" on your official business page, or at least some viewership.

Reminding you it's very specific advertising, and targeted to the right demographic, I'd say running long term is important.

Even if you are spending $1 a day. 500-1000 people seeing it is worthwhile, and the key, repetitiveness, may secure interest if you happened to get them at the wrong time. That and strengthening your brand by them constantly seeing it.

If you are only advertising to 1000 people to begin with, they will be the only one's seeing something that you're offering. So they may see it 16 times, but it will be the 17th where they say to themselves, okay time to check it out

top topics

join