It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Environmental Mining Inquiry - NSW, Australia.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Hello ...

I currently live in New South Wales - Australia and i have noticed a large amount of Coal Seam Gas mining sites springing up around my area. I personally do not know a whole lot about this particular subject and so since i haven't posted in a while i thought i would ask all of you about this .

I have looked into these sites and found out that there are an extremely large amount of these wells being planned out and proposed for the near future , particularly in the general area where i currently reside . Its becoming so common around here that protest groups have been and are continuing to be formed to fight against putting these wells in the area , saying that the Coal Seam Gas mining is extremely bad for the environment and things of that nature HOWEVER my research into the subject has led me to multiple statements from the government and members of the council that the practice of Coal Seam Gas mining is completely safe and has no negative effect on the environment directly or indirectly .

What i am wondering is does anyone know anything about this ? IS it bad for the environment , our drinking water and the flora and fauna ? Or is the government correct in this case ? The high membership of the site appealed to me on this issue because i could get a whole lot of different insight and opinion from our wide range of members .

So if anyone has anything to contribute or personal experiences they would like to share i would very much appreciate it and i look forward to learning what i can from you .

I look forward to hearing your viewpoints .

Omega
edit on 19/7/2013 by Omega85 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Omega85

A negative impact of fracking....
yep... fracking causes earthquakes

According to the study’s authors, the culprit isn't the actual drilling itself but the injection of wastewater back into the ground afterward. Even though wastewater had been injected into old wells around Prague since the early 1990s, the authors argue that as crevices previously containing oil filled with water, from 2001 to 2006, the amount of pressure needed to keep pushing water underground rose tenfold, or 1,000 percent. The resulting pressure change triggered a “jump” in a nearby fault line known as the Wilzetta fault, and then—boom, earthquake. The well the study examined was not drilled using the controversial hydraulic fracturing techniques, commonly known as fracking.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Omega85

You might want to check out this thread www.abovetopsecret.com...

Fracking is NOT a good thing !!!!!

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Thanks you two for the replies .

I have actually heard of fracking but im not sure what it is specifically , ill definetely check those links out now and reply as soon as i can .

top topics

join