It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do the good suffer, and I succeed?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ExCommando

People say everyone has a closet with secrets... I think a more accurate description would be everyone one has a basement. Dark, damp and full of nasty things. Who we really are isn't whats in the basement.

You talking about using those things as a benchmark to improve your life makes me not worry for you so much. It took me until I was 25 to shine that light on myself I did not like what I saw. Two years later and I havent had to look back. My number one goal in life I suppose right now is to not add anything to the basement so to speak.

Cheers to you friend good luck and keep that basement clean

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

The only logical answer is that there is no God,

Quite the contrary actually... There are many "gods"... Those being entities that are more "spiritually advanced" then humans are...

There is also a god of this world.... And he is not on the side of the good...

The god of this world is evil... and he's documented in the Old testament...

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Jesus preached the sermon on the mount
3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

5 “Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth.

6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.

7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.

8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

10 “Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 “Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

The reward for the righteous in Christ is not earthly.

While I dont subscribe to karma, there is a certain ring of truth to it.

Might be time to take stock of your life and realise that you may not have what you have now for long.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Yesterday is history.

Tomorrow is a mystery.

Today is a gift.

That is why it's called the present.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExCommando

Originally posted by j.r.c.b.

So sorry for the loss of your mother. I'm also sorry for the family you have cheated on., and this quote, "What's her reward? Brain cancer. What followed was 6 of the most horrible months of my life"., MOST HORRIBLE MONTHS OF YOUR LIFE??!!! Really??!! It should have been mst horrible for your mother. Your showing bit of narcissism here. You surely don't sound happy, you sound depressed over the fact that you mistreated your family, I think you should go & speak to a professional. You've done good for your country, yet you feel undeserving. I think maybe clearing your conscience & getting over some depression will go a long way.....whether your successful or not, your certainly not happy about it. I woułdnt call that successful.....I wish you well, & hope you keep us updated in your progress....please seek help, real success, is happiness............

Appreciate your comments.

When I said most horrible of my life; it was. I could speak in dual terms, but I'm here talking about my feelings and thoughts on "why". If I was writing about my mothers experience, I would explain how terrible it was for her.

I'm not depressed, and nor am I suffering from depression. I'm simply using this forum to explore the ideas of righteousness, evil, reward and punishment. All of which don't seem interconnected even in the slightest.
I get that, I'll admit myself, it was horrible for our family when my mother had cancer, & again for us when my brother died suddenly at a young age.....but I just have to wonder why you feel undeserving. We all make mistakes. Try to forgive yourself & love yourself first, you have to find happiness & peace.....I would not consider you a bad person at all! Your here talking and worrying about it says a lot....have faith....

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

The only logical answer is that there is no God,

Quite the contrary actually... There are many "gods"... Those being entities that are more "spiritually advanced" then humans are...

There is also a god of this world.... And he is not on the side of the good...

The god of this world is evil... and he's documented in the Old testament...

People live by this and people die by this. In many cases it is self destructive. I would rather believe in only myself. That way, if I'm happy with the person I am and live morally, ethically and love rather than hate, if God does exist, I don't want to spend my afterlife with him if he can't accept me after that.

It's incredible who we could possibly become free from the shackles of religion.

Just for the record, I'm not an atheist.
edit on 19-7-2013 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   

No religion here brother...

Only truth... and its said "IT" will set you free...

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unrealised
Yesterday is history.

His story! Who's story?

The present moment is the gift of life itself. It is never not the present.
This is life - this is aliveness. This will always be this and this will always appear different.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Great post. Yeah, when did the wheel of karma break? I used to be a much more wicked person, and everything came my way. But then I decided to clean up my act, and the last decade of not doing anything bad have been really tough and depressing, while I watch people use the same dark skill set I left behind to oppress and reward themselves with power. I feel for people like your poor mother, who suffered after doing good. Not only it is a blow to them, its a blow to their cosmology - to be so good, and be rewarded with that. Whereas for you, I imagine you could shrug something like that off more if it happened: Some part of you would feel you had it coming, so it wouldn't be such a hope destroying thing.

Its just how the world is, I guess. Maybe the Buddhists are right, maybe the blessed ones are those who are able to see that life is suffering, that they may move on to something better. Maybe the cursed ones are those who find all they want from life, because they remain attached. From that view I have no spite from you. All these successes have no substance. Or maybe its like the atheists say, no God, just hairless primates running around the the laws of physics substituting for the laws of God. You conformed to the laws of nature. You found pleasure in life, and you are reproducing your pattern to create more pleasure in the world. Evolution is working.

I just hope you don't think of yourself as too evil. It takes a certain kind of virtue just to see and say what you just said. But be careful with those, they'll get you in trouble.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   

reply to post by CitizenJack

It's definitely changed my perspective on a lot of things.

I've sold my business, and we are moving overseas for a few years as a family to enjoy the simpler things in life.

I finally understand that money and success breeds an innate greed which then wants more, and more, and more; you're never satisfied with your lot, and you start to covet even more.

Guess that's what life is all about, experiences. What we chose to do with those experiences then defines us, and if we're wise enough, we can learn, embrace, and grow into better people.

The sins are always going to be there; I don't believe in atonement. But I think I can make amends in some shape or form.

This sounds like a huge step in the right direction. I agree with another poster here, you sound as if your heads on straight & headed down a good path....keep us updated...I'm interested in how you make out & looking forward to hearing of your new journey, & new experiences in life....

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Perhaps you are being overly critical of yourself? We all have dark elements that reside within our being; sometimes they are brought out and we act on them, sometimes they are kept hidden until a later date. The point is that we are complex creatures made up of positive and negative attributes, and have characters that are vulnerable to committing evil deeds when it is convenient or beneficial.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   

You know your mom's source of strength. Maybe you should look to her source of strength in your time of need?

Sometimes He will even use the tragedy of one to bring OTHERS to Christ. Such is the case with Lazarus in John chapter eleven. Lazarus was very sick, but before he ever died Jesus said that his sickness was "for the glory of God" (Jn. 11:2-4). Later, in John 11:45, we read that ". . . . many of the Jews which came to Mary, and had seen the things which Jesus did, believed on him." We also read in John 12:11 that many believed on the Lord Jesus Christ BECAUSE OF LAZARUS. Had Lazarus not suffered and died, these people may never have come to know the Lord Jesus Christ. You see, God was in complete control. Jesus KNEW that Lazarus was sick, but He chose not to go and heal him (Jn. 11:6). He had a REASON for the sorrow and death in the family of Lazarus. No one suffers in vain. God always has a reason, and sometimes He is trying to show someone their need to receive the Lord Jesus Christ. Could this be true in your own life? Think about it. Could the Lord be convicting you of the fact that you are a sinner, and you need to be saved?
www.biblebelievers.com...

I'm not pushing my views. I'm just trying to give you answers to your question.

edit on 19-7-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Hello my dear brother,

I read your thread and it is a common thing. Good thing though that you are thinking about this issue. Have you considered an infamous thing called karma? I know there is so much misconceptions and disinfo about it.

However, without the concept of karma much in the patterns of one's life will always remain unexplainable.

Please consider this quote:

34.5 Questioner: If an entity develops what is called a karma in an incarnation, is there then programming that sometimes occurs so that he will experience catalyst that will enable him to get to a point of forgiveness thereby alleviating the karma?

Ra: I am Ra. This is, in general, correct. However, both self and any involved other-self may, at any time through the process of understanding, acceptance, and forgiveness, ameliorate these patterns. This is true at any point in an incarnative pattern. Thus one who has set in motion an action may forgive itself and never again make that error. This also brakes or stops what you call karma.

34.4 Questioner: Thank you. Would you define karma?

Ra: I am Ra. Our understanding of karma is that which may be called inertia. Those actions which are put into motion will continue using the ways of balancing until such time as the controlling or higher principle which you may liken unto your braking or stopping is invoked. This stoppage of the inertia of action may be called forgiveness. These two concepts are inseparable.

LINK

Hope it helps. The explanation has much more meaning into it than what is written if you think about it.

Peace be upon you my brother.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

terrible things are terrible only because you see them that way. It is all a matter of perception. You live for yourself first. Those who give their life to the others often neglect themselves and their bodies. Maybe it is just that. And id say you succeeded because you could move on, simply. Most would be stuck in the past or with PTSD and others mental weaknesses. Being able to move on without looking back and making peace with the past is a strenght. Probably why those in powers now.. are still in powers.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Why do the good suffer, and I succeed?

Satan? Shrug.

How did a misogynist bigot come to power in Germany during the mid 1900's in an age of enlightenment and kill 6 million people?

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

I want to be honest.

I'm not a good person. I've cheated, lied, been unfaithful. I've killed (for my country, but let's keep it real, I pulled the trigger).

And yet, after all of this, I'm rewarded with huge financial and business success; I have a wife I don't deserve, and a perfect, gorgeous baby girl. I've got it all.

On the flip side, my mother; the light of my life. Devoted her life to spreading the word of God; she spent years working in orphanages in the darkest reaches of the world. She gave tirelessly of herself, and not a person who met her wasn't changed in some way for the good.

What's her reward? Brain cancer. What followed was 6 of the most horrible months of my life. She spent the whole time in the hospice bed ridden, in pain, and ever so slowly lost her body, mind and spirit.

The last 24 hours she lay there gasping for breath, until she suffocated to death with me by her side.

How does this make sense? I've never really believed in a God or a higher power, and this only furthers my opinion.

Good people suffer, while those of us with darkness inside of us flourish.

I just don't get it.

you don't have it all, you just think you do. monetary reward means nothing in this world. perhaps it's time you look at what really matters in this world, the love and respect your Mother attained is far greater then anything you have accomplished, nor probably ever will while looking at life such as you do. but good luck in any case, i hope you actually attain something real in your life.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

reply to post by CitizenJack

It's definitely changed my perspective on a lot of things.

I've sold my business, and we are moving overseas for a few years as a family to enjoy the simpler things in life.

I finally understand that money and success breeds an innate greed which then wants more, and more, and more; you're never satisfied with your lot, and you start to covet even more.

Guess that's what life is all about, experiences. What we chose to do with those experiences then defines us, and if we're wise enough, we can learn, embrace, and grow into better people.

The sins are always going to be there; I don't believe in atonement. But I think I can make amends in some shape or form.

It sounds to me like you are making a re-evaluation, taking accountability for what you have done that is negative, and recognizing what you have that is positive. It's all anyone can do, and more than most will, or can.

Most monsters are made when people refuse to acknowledge those monsterous tendencies within themselves. So many of us do not have the courage recognize ourselves, and so never change. This impulse to not recognize and take responsibility for our negative actions is such an intrinsic manifestation within the human condition that much of our worst travesties in history can be stripped down to this phenomenon, expressed in either an powerful individual, or in an entire group, society, or culture. Like most people, I am no exception to this. I am sorry for your loss, but keep trying and good luck.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Only the intelligent persons are good in natural order, not those who are good, but foolish.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

I want to be honest.

I'm not a good person. I've cheated, lied, been unfaithful. I've killed (for my country, but let's keep it real, I pulled the trigger).

And yet, after all of this, I'm rewarded with huge financial and business success; I have a wife I don't deserve, and a perfect, gorgeous baby girl. I've got it all.

On the flip side, my mother; the light of my life. Devoted her life to spreading the word of God; she spent years working in orphanages in the darkest reaches of the world. She gave tirelessly of herself, and not a person who met her wasn't changed in some way for the good.

What's her reward? Brain cancer. What followed was 6 of the most horrible months of my life. She spent the whole time in the hospice bed ridden, in pain, and ever so slowly lost her body, mind and spirit.

The last 24 hours she lay there gasping for breath, until she suffocated to death with me by her side.

How does this make sense? I've never really believed in a God or a higher power, and this only furthers my opinion.

Good people suffer, while those of us with darkness inside of us flourish.

I just don't get it.
Karma is a bitch and will often build an evil person up before knocking him down. You could lose everything tomorrow or in ten years. But believe me, you will lose in the end unless you repair your Karma. And the only way to do that is through love. Your Mum may have brain cancer but by the life she's led, I'm willing to guess she's been a million times happier than you, with all your success. If you were happy with yourself you wouldn't be coming on ATS and telling strangers you're a bad person.

edit on 19-7-2013 by IBelieveInAliens because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by borntowatch

The reward for the righteous in Christ is not earthly.

From a Christian perspective, I agree with BornToWatch here. Following the teaching of Christ brings spiritual rewards, most of which come after earthly life.

The earthly rewards come mostly from Satan who was cast down to earth as "Lord of this World". If your experiencing a change of heart and start following JC, then expect to be treated as he was in his life time.

You may have turned the corner already, so be prepared for some "bad luck".

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join