It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do the good suffer, and I succeed?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I want to be honest.

I'm not a good person. I've cheated, lied, been unfaithful. I've killed (for my country, but let's keep it real, I pulled the trigger).

And yet, after all of this, I'm rewarded with huge financial and business success; I have a wife I don't deserve, and a perfect, gorgeous baby girl. I've got it all.

On the flip side, my mother; the light of my life. Devoted her life to spreading the word of God; she spent years working in orphanages in the darkest reaches of the world. She gave tirelessly of herself, and not a person who met her wasn't changed in some way for the good.

What's her reward? Brain cancer. What followed was 6 of the most horrible months of my life. She spent the whole time in the hospice bed ridden, in pain, and ever so slowly lost her body, mind and spirit.

The last 24 hours she lay there gasping for breath, until she suffocated to death with me by her side.

How does this make sense? I've never really believed in a God or a higher power, and this only furthers my opinion.

Good people suffer, while those of us with darkness inside of us flourish.

I just don't get it.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   
You've lied, cheated, killed and been unfaithful to your angel.

You'll have to live with those things, and if you have a conscience, you should find them hard to come to terms with.

You haven't flourished.

You have been given a beautiful flower, only to stomp it into the ground.
edit on 19-7-2013 by Unrealised because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ExCommando

Perhaps you're looking at it backwards. You think that you don't deserve this great life/family because of the things you've done.

You do, however, know or at least believe you don't deserve it, just as you believe your mother didn't deserve to die in such terrible circumstances given the good she did in her life.

Humility can come in many forms, and obviously your mother raised you with a conscience, otherwise we wouldn't reading your thread right now. Perhaps it was her wish for you to be happy and successful, even with your shortcomings.

My condolences to you for your loss.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Terrible things happen in this world and each and everyone of us is on its waiting list. When our name gets called may be earlier or may be later.

My advice is don't turn to religion for answers, they don't have them.

link   

Hey their friend it is truely a messed up world we live in. First off I'm sorry for your loss and the pain you must have endured. It sounds like your mother truly was a wonderful women.

The only comfort I can give is perhaps change perspectives. Your mother didnt probally care about money and being successful. She sounds like the type of women who found joy in life through helping others. And spreading the word of god to her was something of great importance. She was able to do these things in her life . From her point of view she probably felt truth wealth .To be able to do the things she loved and to fight for her cause. Many of us dont get those opportunities in life. God or no god your mother lived "her" life and nobody elses like alot of us do nowadays.

edit on 19-7-2013 by CitizenJack because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
link   

This world is designed so that evil gets its reward...

The greedy will prosper... While the needy suffer...

The selfish thrive while the selfless waste away....

The violent get excused... While the meek are pushed aside...

Our world is backwards...

And the sad part is.... It always has been

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Glad to see an honest person when it comes to mentioning "fighting for their country".

Why you ask? Who/What runs this world? God may have created it but for some of the reasons you listed as well as others it feels as if Lucifer/The devil runs this world.

link   
reply to post by 74Templar

Thanks for reminding me.

Yes, I forgot to give condolences, also.

I'm sorry for your loss.

My mother died of cancer, and it was hard to watch.

Just try to be a good person, OP.

link   

Originally posted by Unrealised
You've lied, cheated, killed and been unfaithful to your angel.

You'll have to live with those things, and if you have a conscience, you should find them hard to come to terms with.

You haven't flourished.

You have been given a beautiful flower, only to stomp it into the ground.
edit on 19-7-2013 by Unrealised because: (no reason given)

What do you mean by "my angel"?

Yes, I do have to live with my choices and decisions; thanks for being compassionate enough to take the belittling and hurtful approach. Seems you're enjoying watering your own "flower".

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   

The fact that you state that you are 'not a good person' and that you 'do not deserve' reveals how successful you really are.
When one believes one is not worthy, one acts this out.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by CitizenJack

It's definitely changed my perspective on a lot of things.

I've sold my business, and we are moving overseas for a few years as a family to enjoy the simpler things in life.

I finally understand that money and success breeds an innate greed which then wants more, and more, and more; you're never satisfied with your lot, and you start to covet even more.

Guess that's what life is all about, experiences. What we chose to do with those experiences then defines us, and if we're wise enough, we can learn, embrace, and grow into better people.

The sins are always going to be there; I don't believe in atonement. But I think I can make amends in some shape or form.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   

So sorry for the loss of your mother. I'm also sorry for the family you have cheated on., and this quote, "What's her reward? Brain cancer. What followed was 6 of the most horrible months of my life"., MOST HORRIBLE MONTHS OF YOUR LIFE??!!! Really??!! It should have been mst horrible for your mother. Your showing bit of narcissism here. You surely don't sound happy, you sound depressed over the fact that you mistreated your family, I think you should go & speak to a professional. You've done good for your country, yet you feel undeserving. I think maybe clearing your conscience & getting over some depression will go a long way.....whether your successful or not, your certainly not happy about it. I woułdnt call that successful.....I wish you well, & hope you keep us updated in your progress....please seek help, real success, is happiness............

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

The fact that you state that you are 'not a good person' and that you 'do not deserve' reveals how successful you really are.
When one believes one is not worthy, one acts this out.

I'm sorry, I don't understand?

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExCommando
The sins are always going to be there; I don't believe in atonement. But I think I can make amends in some shape or form.

At one ment - atonement is coming to this moment and having no thought of before or next. Thoughts of before and next are what makes you a shape or form. You are actually formless until you believe thoughts.
Forget who you think you are and realize yourself as this ever changing present moment which is ever fresh and new.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by j.r.c.b.

So sorry for the loss of your mother. I'm also sorry for the family you have cheated on., and this quote, "What's her reward? Brain cancer. What followed was 6 of the most horrible months of my life"., MOST HORRIBLE MONTHS OF YOUR LIFE??!!! Really??!! It should have been mst horrible for your mother. Your showing bit of narcissism here. You surely don't sound happy, you sound depressed over the fact that you mistreated your family, I think you should go & speak to a professional. You've done good for your country, yet you feel undeserving. I think maybe clearing your conscience & getting over some depression will go a long way.....whether your successful or not, your certainly not happy about it. I woułdnt call that successful.....I wish you well, & hope you keep us updated in your progress....please seek help, real success, is happiness............

Appreciate your comments.

When I said most horrible of my life; it was. I could speak in dual terms, but I'm here talking about my feelings and thoughts on "why". If I was writing about my mothers experience, I would explain how terrible it was for her.

I'm not depressed, and nor am I suffering from depression. I'm simply using this forum to explore the ideas of righteousness, evil, reward and punishment. All of which don't seem interconnected even in the slightest.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   

I hear ya brother, sins are like scars on the soul. They will always be there to remind you of the events that took place.

But scars are just that, the wounds heal and we learn to avoid that which caused them. It sound like you have a level head on your shoulder. I wish you the best in your ventures sir, and that you find peace in this world. Your family sounds blessed to have you.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by 74Templar

Perhaps you're looking at it backwards. You think that you don't deserve this great life/family because of the things you've done.

You do, however, know or at least believe you don't deserve it, just as you believe your mother didn't deserve to die in such terrible circumstances given the good she did in her life.

Humility can come in many forms, and obviously your mother raised you with a conscience, otherwise we wouldn't reading your thread right now. Perhaps it was her wish for you to be happy and successful, even with your shortcomings.

My condolences to you for your loss.

You have stated this so elequently 74Templar. I also read his post as being unhappy & non deserving. But you put it in much better words....
.....I Truly wish only the best for you OP. Take care of that wonderful family you have, feel you are blessed to have them in your life.......
edit on 7/19/13 by j.r.c.b. because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   

I hear ya'. I've wondered about that kind of thing a lot. Prayerful people who try hard to do what is right .... suffer horribly. But then people like Charlie Sheen engage in all sorts of bad things and abuse their bodies .. but they prosper and thrive. I don't get it ...

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by CitizenJack

It's just tricky when you shine the light on your soul and really look deep into yourself. Sometimes you don't like what you see.

I think experiences have forged me into the person I am today, for good and bad. My dad committed suicide when I was 12 and I found him; I saw and did some messed up stuff in the forces. We all go through our own experiences, but I just question how often we really, truly and honestly look at who we are, and use that benchmark to fuel change.

Hopefully someone reads this forum and it helps, in some small way. No matter how good things look from the outside, it's not always the case.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
The only logical answer is that there is no God, there is no fate and there is no luck. The past is history and the future is yet to be decided. Only today matters. Seize what you have now, let go of the past and you will be able to look forward to the future.

We learn from every mistake we make and the consequences, whether directly or indirectly, shape who we are. Now you realise that there is no God to punish you for the past, you can let yourself be free and make up for it with your wife and daughter. Your daughter is the future and it is up to you to make sure she doesn't repeat your mistakes.
edit on 19-7-2013 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join