It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 40-Year-Old Photo That Gives Us A Reason To Smile

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I got the photo to work...please read on...

nice story and cool pic..

But I have to ask myself also..

when do we learn to be racists?

www.npr.org...

In late July 1973, was wandering the streets of Mount Clemens, Mich., a suburb of Detroit, with his camera. As a staff photographer for the Macomb Daily, he was expected to keep an eye out for good feature images — "those little slices of life that can stand on their own." The slice of life he caught that day was a picture of five young friends in a rain-washed alley in downtown Mount Clemens. And what distinguishes it are its subjects: three black children, two white ones, giggling in each others' arms. "It was just one of those evenings," Crachiola remembers. "I saw these kids — they were just playing around. And I started shooting some pictures of them. At some point, they saw me and they all turned and looked at me and struck that pose that you see in the picture. It was totally spontaneous. I had nothing to do with the way they arranged themselves." This week, Crachiola, who now lives in New Orleans, posted the vintage photo on his Facebook page. "For me, it still stands as one of my most meaningful pictures," he wrote in his post. "It makes me wonder... At what point do we begin to mistrust one another? When do we begin to judge one another based on gender or race? I have always wondered what happened to these children. I wonder if they are still friends."

edit on 18-7-2013 by baddmove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

Good questions!

The other thing I notice from the story and the pic is that the children are not afraid of the camera and no one is accusing the photographer of being a pedophile for taking pics of kids.

We have really messed up society.

P

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358

Good questions!

The other thing I notice from the story and the pic is that the children are not afraid of the camera and no one is accusing the photographer of being a pedophile for taking pics of kids.

P

Real people just being real...

Ah, the good old days...

I had black friends growing up and I loved them..

we were best friends..

I Would like to know..

at what age do we become racists?

I'm still friends with my black friends and i still love them..

edit on 18-7-2013 by baddmove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
this still goes on. my neighbors that are black, moved here from Mississippi,and they are over here playing with our grandkids and our grandkids go over there all the time. maybe this dosen't happen in the big cities, but it happens here in rual towns, and its not big or unusual news.

cool pic tho.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   

You learn to be racist the same time you learn to be sexist, homophobic, violent, aggressive, bigoted, and everything else that makes for a worse world. It's called childhood (especially the first five years of development).

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I grew up with grandparents from the south. My grandmother told me we were better than blacks. I questioned her as to why and she said "we just were" or something to that effect. I was 12 and didn't get it and even was so bold as to deny it.

My son never heard anything racial in our house and when he started 1st grade he saw his first black person and he called him a chocolate person. That was his custom...to name things after what he knew as in broccoli was trees and chicken and dumplings were 'chicken and clouds'.

Children are innocent and friends are friends. It is outside influence that changes their original perception into something they learn to think as bad.

Shame on parents or others who do that to the children.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I remember my time of innocence and that picture captures it perfectly. We are taught things that are so untrue in life. We need to remember who we were before we were given the ideology of racism. I remember the clean days. The days I wouldn't have cared about color, race or anything dissenting for that matter .Man, I would pay big bucks to be 8 years old again. It's unfortunate that when we do grow up, we learn things the wrong way. We become separatists due to perceived differences. Its all so wrong.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Great photo!

To bad Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would claim the picture as racist because the white kids have the black kids in headlocks. Their motto after all appears to be "Nothing better than racial tension to fight racism"

edit on 18-7-2013 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Thanks Interupt42..

I git the photo from your post..

you rock!!

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyofGlass

You learn to be racist the same time you learn to be sexist, homophobic, violent, aggressive, bigoted, and everything else that makes for a worse world. It's called childhood (especially the first five years of development).

nah, that's BS my friend

I never was raised that way and I don' t think you were either.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove

Originally posted by LadyofGlass

nah, that's BS my friend

I never was raised that way and I don' t think you were either.

And are you racist?

I think you just agreed with him without knowing. Ignorance begets ignorance, racists raise more racists.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by interupt42

Great photo!

To bad Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would claim the picture as racist because the white kids have the black kids in headlocks. Their motto after all appears to be "Nothing better than racial tension to fight racism"

edit on 18-7-2013 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

And couldn't it be suggested that you too are making a racist comment by implying that only certain people of a certain colour would make the made-up statement you're hypothesizing about?

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by cuckooold

Yes, clearly most racist think that a picture of white kids intermingling with black kids as a GREAT picture.

I never said that ONLY Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton or that "certain people of a certain colour" would make that statement did I?

So couldn't it be suggested that perhaps you tried to play devils advocate, attempted to make a studious jab, or perhaps you look into things with Prejudice or claim racism first as a safety net?

Are those two known two help diminish racial tension or they help add fuel to the fire? Is not uncommon for them to jump on the racial motive before all the facts are out?

Maybe sarcasm would be a more appropriate way of taking the comment, than taking only a piece of the context to label it as racist?

I wonder if you would have labelled me as racist for not liking Obama despite me
thinking that Romney nor Bush were any better? Nor you would you have taken into consideration that I consider Neil deGrasse Tyson a brilliant man?

edit on 19-7-2013 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Yeah, the whole point of what I said is that you become what you learn in the crucial years of your development. Unless you have some life altering or mind shattering event that makes you reanalyze your programming. Ah well...

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Nice & cool pic. A nice picture can make a long term relation with us, especially with shooter.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Kids learn to be racist from 1: older people
2: other kids who have already been influenced by other older people.

Now,that is not to say that kids don't notice differences between races-kids often ask,innocently,stuff like"why is that person brown?"
That is just natural curiosity-its what they learn from adults which taints their innocence.

To dis people on race alone is not something kids are capable IMO.
They have to "learn"that dirty behaviour.

It would almost be more forgivable if we were all racists as kids,then "learned"that we were wrong,and as adults,all learned to be friends.
After all,kids are kids-but adults should know better IMO.

Another observation-nasty governments LOVE racists as a tool to divide society.
Nothing stops people coming together to fight a common cause such as a corrupt/authoritarian goverenment like a good ol' divided society-and racists are perfect to acheive that.

As always just my opinions.
edit on 19/7/2013 by Silcone Synapse because: spaces added

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

When they indoctrinate you in the school system.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

By now many have no doubt seen the Cheerios commercial with the by-racial family.
I read a blog yesterday, wished I saved a link, which talked about their childerns "non reaction" to the people involved. The blogger seemed a little surprised that his childern just didn't notice such things.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove

When do we begin to judge one another based on gender or race?

When we stop listening to our instincts.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358

Good questions!

P

amen.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join