Utah State Senator wants to end compulsory education

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Article

Osmond told the Deseret News that he wants the public to view education as an opportunity rather than a requirement.

"Let’s let them choose it, let’s not force them to do it," Osmond said.

No doubt he wants the great state of Utah to become a powerhouse in the world just like, say, England was around 1500....??

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Yeah.....

Great Idea.....

Guess a population of dumb people are much more easy to surpress.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

The population is too smart, and occasionally even complains when we take away their liberties.
Let's make them dumb as dirt! Good idea! For someone...
edit on 18-7-2013 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Sounds libertarian in nature.

Less government intervention in our lives, not more.

Much how Ron Pauls view on drugs got demonized in the press, as well as his few on the Dept of education and really with its track record is pouring more money in a broken system the ideal solution?

We at least need to start the public debate on how to fix Education in America, which could easily include moves away from compulsory state mandated education to private homes and such.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Sounds like a libertarian.
Like all things libertarian, there's a veneer of merit. Underneath, it's morally and biologically bankrupt.

Of course he could be fighting for the freedom to pursue religious "education". Makes it easier to control the masses.

Either way, it's a "1984" and "a clockwork orange" double feature.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazyewok
Yeah.....

Great Idea.....

Guess a population of dumb people are much more easy to surpress.

Yep, as the current education system has already proven, you know the state mandated one?

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
And the problem is?

State Sen. Aaron Osmond (R) argued that certain "parents act as if the responsibility to educate, and even care for their child, is primarily the responsibility of the public school system."

So it's the 'states responsibility' to educate a child not a the parent?

"As a result, our teachers and schools have been forced to become surrogate parents, expected to do everything from behavioral counseling, to providing adequate nutrition, to teaching sex education, as well as ensuring full college and career readiness," he wrote in a post on the state senate's blog

That is the truth is it not?

Things parents use to do in the '1500's'.

People are free to support indoctrination, and throw billions of dollars at kids expecting that intelligence is determined by how many billions of dollars are thrown at them.

That is the case Americans should be rather 'smart'.

Since it is not the parents job to raise and educate their kids, well then the state can start feeding them putting a roof over their heads, AND pay Child support.

Oh wait.

I forgot this was a shot at the GOP.

My bad.

Been paying attention to the education system in this country where the 'teacher' puts their jobs over a students education something seriously wrong with that picture.

link   
reply to post by benrl

Home education is great....as long as the parents are capable.

No point leaving a kid to be home schooled if his parents are illitrate morons or religius nutz.

You will just get another idoit kid then.

link   
reply to post by benrl

And you think that no education at all would be better for you somehow??

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

And in what way would making education non-compulsory make this better?

note it is not a proposal to make STATE education non-compulsory - you CAN already home school or private school if you want.

This is a desire to make ANY education voluntary.

Oh...but I forgot...it's the GOP.....and it is anti-liberal....so it must be wonderful.....

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

reply to post by benrl

Home education is great....as long as the parents are capable.

No point leaving a kid to be home schooled if his parents are illitrate morons or religius nutz.

You will just get another idoit kid then.

Yea state education is great... as long as the teachers are capable.

No point in leaving your kids education in the hands of an apathetic teacher who has no vested interest in the child due to the Morons and Bureaucrats in charge of education.

You will just get another mindless sheep than with no deductive reasoning.
edit on 18-7-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

This is a desire to make ANY education voluntary.

Oh damn the HORROR that people should actually have at least 1 choice in this country!

Come now where of the purveyors of prochoice at now eh?

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
After reading the blog posting and two news articles, its clear that the headline is misleading.

He doesnt wish to "end compulsory education" completely. What he wants and expects is that every child still gets an education, just that it is not law that the state is responsible for it. He's trying to push some tiny bit of educational responsibility back on the parents, who largely have abandoned education as one of their duties.

First, we need to restore the expectation that parents are primarily responsible for the educational success of their own children.
That begins with restoring the parental right to decide if and when a child will go to public school.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
reply to post by benrl

And you think that no education at all would be better for you somehow??

Where did I say that? Aloysius are you too a victim of the poor education system?

Reading comprehension fail? I don't blame you but the system you are supporting, AS I SAID we need to start this debate on how to fix the problem.

Which could include these types of discussion involving parental responsibility in the child's education as part of it.

All those "options" we have in America, still require my taxes to being dumped into a broken wasteful system.
IT needs to be overhauled from the ground up, and that includes the laws surrounding it.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

I think the senator needs some more education.
smh

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

So you want a dumber America?

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

reply to post by neo96

Been paying to present day America?

Mission Accomplished.

Before what passes for what most people call 'education' that began with Carter's DOE we put men on the moon.

What have we done lately?

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

reply to post by neo96

You know what I want?

I want an America that puts Knowledge before all else.

I want an America that sees education as an investment in all of us.

I want an America where EVERY man, women and child have equal free access to education.

Education from k-post graduate should be 100% free and tax breaks are given to post HS students to encourage contiued VOLUNTARY education.

Carrot works far better than the stick.

In order for the above to happen, we need to talk about this, including crazy ideas. Problems this sever call for drastic measures, not following the Status Quo.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Yesterday, or maybe it was this morning, somebody posted a video of some kid who put a firecracker in his mouth and then lit the fuse. Based on actions such as that do you really think public education is doing a lot of good?

Does it really matter?

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Not saying your school system does not need complety renovating .

But leaving education to parents could be just as worse.

In UK you can home school but the parents have to be inspected and reach a minimum standards which works.

But haveing no regulations or standards is setting yourselfs up for disaster.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join