It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Installing 2 Video cards, good or bad?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Hello,

I just wanted to say a few things. Using a slower video card for PHYSX could actually bottle neck with your PC Cpu making things seem even slower. You can indeed use ANY geforce/amd card to SLI with as long as it uses the SAME driver. You can use a GT8800 and a GT9800 if you wanted. It is true it will run at the speed of the slower card (even though the GT9800 and GT8800 are identical cards and speeds). You can not run a GT210 and a GT9800 as they both use different drivers. Cards that use the same driver have the same chipset and can be SLI'd. I have a customer who uses 6 monitors for his stock market stuff.. The motherboard had onboard video but could not find 3 cards cheap enough with the same chipset so I got him three PCI Geforce 5700s. If your needing more monitors you must use cards that use the same driver whether you are doing SLI or not. If you are going to use a normal PCI/PCI Xpress slot for more displays make sure you disable the onboard video because it will not work. Why? Because the video card and the onboard video are using different drivers. Windows seems to have a problem with 2 different drivers at one time.

Thank you and I hope this can help someone. Note.. it does depend on the motherboard.. Newer ones have newer features that may allow different configurations but a standard i3 mobo or a standard 775 socket mobo seems to have the problem i mentioned above.

Bud316

new topics

<< 1   >>

join