It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Installing 2 Video cards, good or bad?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Hey guys, My new motherboard and CPU just arrived, my new motherboard supports dual video cards, but I wanted to know what are the advantages and disadvantages and dangers of doing this.

I have 2 video cards, one of them is a GTX 760, and an old Geforce 9600 GSO that is just sitting in her box. Would it be worth it if I decided to do it? with the GTX 760 I can play most games in ultra but some I feel like it has some low fps (haven't checked how many) but it is very playable, you can say is almost perfect but it ain't

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ^anubis^

If both the cards can be configured in SLI mode. . maybe it might be worth it.

Otherwise there is really no point.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
They need to be SLI.

Do some research on it man, you'll be surprised that it's no more complicated than legos.

But they should be compatible with eachother, so I'm going with: don't do anything until you know what it is you're doing.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

they both are SLI

thank you for the response

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Ahh..

Depends on your current hardware, quality of memory, motherboard and CPU.

The cards needs to be compatible as well or else you're just creating a bottle neck which will hurt performance.

9600 Specs
760 Specs

Why you would even want the 9600 in comparison to the 760 is beyond me. That card out performs the other 10 to 1.

So yeah, you'd probably see negligible performance upgrade from using both cards. Not worth the potential problems IMO.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Video cards have to work together too, in SLI mode. Of course performance gets better, and so power consumption and need of cooling gets higher.

I have 2 video cards in my laptop, but other one is integrated and I don't use it. They can't work together, other is meant to have low power consumption, and other for gaming.
edit on 18-7-2013 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

I see what you meant by that lol thank you

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
No its not.

The only time its worth it, is if both cards are the same, because if you SLI them, it lowers the clock speeds to the cheaper cards.

You can also Use the 2nd card as a Phsyx card only for the physics processing, and the new card for the Graphics, it could help.

But the 760 is a damn fine card and would probably be better at both than the old card, probably not worth it.

Currently I am considering upping to the 700 series from the 500, but I have a second matching pc with another 550ti so I would put the two 550 ti in one pc.

And those are good cards probably wouldn't equal the 760.
edit on 18-7-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-7-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I just went SLI this month. The video cards must be the same, so take your best card and buy the same one if you are interested. I have 2 Evgas GeForce GTS 450s and they scream through battlefield 3 on ultra settings. I only bought a second one because I found one used on ebay for $50, which is pretty darn good. Its a good idea if you are seriouse about PC gaming and want to handle the latest games.
edit on 18-7-2013 by Relative Five because: said battlefield 2, meant 3

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Thebel

have 2 120mm fans in the front and one 140mm on top, with a 92mm on CPU, thinking about putting 1 90mm in the back

have a 750watt Power supply

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
But is there a point to having two of them? I mean you can't run them simultaneously right?

edit: i just read benrl post
edit on 18-7-2013 by HawkeyeNation because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

HawkeyeNation
But is there a point to having two of them? I mean you can't run them simultaneously right?

Yes you can, if you have a SLI or Crossfire configured machine.

Effectively runs it like a dual or quad core processor, allocating tasks to the hardware that is best suited to complete it, in the quickest amount of time.

Law of averages in this case though would make his performance less good than if he just used the higher quality card.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

I think SLI performance will be greatly reduced if it even worked. The 9600 will be the bottleneck. SLI is recommended as using the SAME make,model of a card although it can work with different cards.
I would install it without SLI support and point the PHYSX processing to it and see if it helps. Even then i think the 9600 is still too slow compared to the GTX to offer any useful performance.

GTX 760 GPU
Engine Specs:
1152 CUDA Cores
980Base Clock (MHz)
1033Boost Clock (MHz)
Texture Fill Rate (billion/sec) 94.1
GTX 760 Memory Specs:
6.0 GbpsMemory Speed
2048 MBStandard
Memory Config
GDDR5Memory Interface
256-bitMemory Interface Width 192.2

9600 GPU
CUDA Cores 64
Graphics Clock (MHz) 650 MHz
Processor Clock (MHz) 1625 MHz
Texture Fill Rate (billion/sec) 20.8
Memory Specs
Memory Clock 900 MHz
Standard Memory Config 512 MB
Memory Interface
GDDR3
Memory Interface Width 256-bit
Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec) 57.6

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

This right here. Only set up 2 cards if they are identical. Your performance will suffer otherwise. If you DO have 2 of the same card, then yes, your computers performance will go way up (and depending on the hardware, can even double).

I am currently planning out a PC for the start of my 3rd year of college studies, and since I work with 3d software a lot (but am also a gamer), I am planning out a build that uses 1 Radeon 7950 with room to crossfire another one when I have more money. That, combined with an 8 core cpu and 16 gigs of ram should give me plenty to game with and wrangle polygons to my hearts content.

Good luck!

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

Those ATI cards will be obsolete a year into your rig.

I suggest spending a little extra for the 7990 or the 7970. The performance difference is totally worth the extra cash, especially in a SLI configuration.

Especially for your 3D modeling. If you can afford it just get the Titan

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   

You see AMD 5.0ghz 8 Core?

Damn I wants me that thing.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Yeah them Titan cards do all kinds of crazy things to me.

Nerdgasam.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
You really want to upgrade your system get a SSD drive, lol. I put a 500gb Samsung SSD in my 4 year old Intel Dual Core2 1.8Ghz laptop, upgraded the RAM to 4gb (it's max. capacity) and it's faster then my i7 2.4Ghz desktop, lol. It boots up in about 30 seconds running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, lol.
edit on 18-7-2013 by RedShirt73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Both being Nvidea card's but different chip's and memory you can not use them in SLI but you can set one as the PhysX processor (I would use the older one) and that leaves the other to perform the graphics processing uninterrupted by PhysX calls as well as freeing up some processor power,.

This page reads a bit like an old PC chips manual but worth a read anyway.
forums.techarena.in...
Right NOW HERE IS THE PAGE TO READ SKIP THE OTHER EXCEPT FOR A LAUGH.
superuser.com...

Good luck and be careful that is a lot of money to play with.

Just read through some of the other posts and they do know what they are talking about so take there advice the 760 is a completely new hardware to the old 8 and 9 series cards so put the old one on EBAY and don't mix them.
edit on 18-7-2013 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Those ATI cards will be obsolete a year into your rig.

I suggest spending a little extra for the 7990 or the 7970. The performance difference is totally worth the extra cash, especially in a SLI configuration.

Especially for your 3D modeling. If you can afford it just get the Titan

~Tenth

Either card you've suggested will be obsolete in a year anyways

I've selected the 7950 OC. I've done my homework on this card and it comes over clocked with extra heat sinks so you can over clock it even more. One of them overclocked with standard cooling = a 7970 out of the box, for less money. With the extra cooling I'll have in my case (and liquid cooled CPU), I should be able to squeeze even more out of it. 2 of them overclocked and cross fired should be more than enough fire power for a little while. Considering I am currently running a saphire 5770 with an out dated phenom II processor and 4 gigs of ram, This new system will meet and exceed my expectations for at least 2 years

ETA:

This is why I hate being a pc enthusiast. I love drooling over hardware, but I hate how much it costs to keep up. You can buy the latest and greatest, and it will be worthless in 5 years.
edit on 18-7-2013 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join