It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would an Atheist Pray If..

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

FYI, Jesus DOES in fact heal children...

Below is just one example of a child with 26 diseases who was instantly healed because of prayer.

"When I was on the Phil Donahue show, he asked me, “What is the greatest miracle you have ever seen?” Of course, I ... I'll never forget; the greatest miracle I ever witnessed. A woman brought her child, who had 26 major diseases, to our meeting."

"That little boy's tongue had been hanging out of his mouth all week. The first thing I saw as Brother Allen prayed was that tongue snapped back in the mouth like a rubber band. For the first time in four years, the little guy's tongue was in his mouth. I saw two little whirlpools in his eyes, just a milky color. You couldn't tell whether he had blue or brown or what color of eyes. But during the prayer, that whirlpool ceased, and I saw two brand new brown eyes! I knew God had opened his eyes, and if God opened the eyes, I knew He had unstopped the deaf ears."

"Then those little arms began to snap like pieces of wood; and for the first time, they stretched out. The legs cracked like wood popping. All of sudden, I saw God form toes out of those club feet as easily as child forms something with silly-putty. The crowd was watching by this time going wild! I've never seen any people shout and rejoice so much in all my life."

"I saw that baby placed on his feet, and he began to run for the first time in his life. He had never seen his mama before, never said a word, but he began running across the platform and I was running right after him to catch him. He leaped into his mama's arms, and I heard him say his first word, 'Mama.'"

www.miraclevalleyarchives.org...

Miracles By R. W. Shambach

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

And, what of the millions of children that prayed and weren't healed?

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by RealTruthSeeker

Okay, I get. You, as a Christian, have no responsibility in prayer. Got it!

Nom Myoho Renge Kyo is a Buddhist prayer, that they believe by millions of people chanting it, it is said to wash the world in peace.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

And, what of the millions of children that prayed and weren't healed?

The answers to some of your questions can be found in a film called "The Encounter".

The quotes below are from the 56 min. point in the film.

Kayla: I have asked. Where were you then? Hope you put on a pretty good show for you I used to pray when I was little. Pastor Jim down at the mission taught me how. At least he cared. What did you do for us?

Jesus: I took all of these hard things Kayla and I used them to turn you into the wonderful young lady that you are so strong, and enduring, such a wonderful role model for your little sister

Jesus: I was shouting into his mind and consciousness to stop, stop. I was there in that bathroom. And I heard you Kayla, your prayer before you pulled that trigger. It wasn’t for death, It was to go to a better place Kayla, if you had died that night you wouldn’t have gone to a better place. So the night before, I caused your stepfather to stumble. That made him reconsider the prospects of keeping the loaded gun in his pocket so he removed the clamp and unknowingly saved your life. It’s not the first time I saved your life nor will it be the last either.

The Encounter

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
So I'm supposed to pray to "God" to fix something that he clearly wanted to happen in the first place? I don't see the point. If he were willing to make everything alright, he wouldn't have allowed those bad things to happen in the first place.
edit on 18-7-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

Mark 4:35-41

35 On the same day, when evening had come, He said to them, “Let us cross over to the other side.” 36 Now when they had left the multitude, they took Him along in the boat as He was. And other little boats were also with Him. 37 And a great windstorm arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that it was already filling. 38 But He was in the stern, asleep on a pillow. And they awoke Him and said to Him, “Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing?”

39 Then He arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Peace, be still!” And the wind ceased and there was a great calm. 40 But He said to them, “Why are you so fearful? How is it that you have no faith?” 41 And they feared exceedingly, and said to one another, “Who can this be, that even the wind and the sea obey Him!”

---------------------------------

Sometimes, he takes us to the very edge even to the point it may seem like we're dying or going to die. To where there is nothing between us and death except him, to where there is nothing left to hold onto but him and that is where he will reveal himself and his power. This is the lesson of Mark 4:35-41, It is to teach us to trust in him.

He took me to the edge and he showed me who he is.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Get real, who's fault is it that some are starving? I live in the US, things are ok here. who should I thank for that? Man or God?

I'm pretty sure our liberties and luxuries are the product of man's hard work. If you can find your god on some farm or in a factory somewhere or shipping supplies cross country or running the board meetings that organize such functions...let me know, would you?

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

Get real, who's fault is it that some are starving? I live in the US, things are ok here. who should I thank for that? Man or God?

I'm pretty sure our liberties and luxuries are the product of man's hard work. If you can find your god on some farm or in a factory somewhere or shipping supplies cross country or running the board meetings that organize such functions...let me know, would you?

You wouldn't have those luxuries if God fearing men didn't give them to you.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Come on now, Whether you admit it or not I'm sure you would slide a prayer under your breath if this was a real life situation.

My son suffers from a rare auto-immune disease. I've almost lost him on more than one occasion.

Asking "God" to save him never crossed my mind once.

In order to accept that view you would have to believe in God and therefore it really wouldn't make sense if you did not pray in such a situation.

Pre-ordinance is a central tenant of the Abraham Faiths. The idea that God knows all and has seen all and has planned for it all is taught throughout the church's teaching. It's not avoiding the question, it's applying logic to it.

If everything is already planned for by God, who should know best after all, then it's not only unlikely he will help you, but rude of you to ask.

~Tenth

I'm sorry if someone else has already brought this to your attention, but I mean, it would be rude of me not to inform you as it would be rude for a parent to purposefully withold life saving information his child/ren.
Matthew 7:7 "Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you.
Psalm 34:4 I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.
Jeremiah 29:13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Matthew 7:8 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.
Matthew 18:19 "Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven.
Matthew 21:22 If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer."
Mark 11:24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
John 14:13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
John 15:7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.
John 15:16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit--fruit that will last--and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you.

There are more, would you care for me to share them?

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Wonders

Sweet. Share what you know

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Bing Dictionary
pray
1.speak to God: to speak to God, a deity, or a saint, e.g. in order to give thanks, express regret, or ask for help
2.hope strongly: to hope strongly for something
3.address earnest request to somebody: to ask somebody for something, especially earnestly or with passion

According to Bing, Athiests do pray.

Judges 10:13-14 Yet you have forsaken me, and served other gods: why I will deliver you no more. Go and cry out to the gods you have chosen! Let them rescue you in your hour of distress!"
Deuteronomy 32:37 He will say: "Now where are their gods, the rock they took refuge in,
Jeremiah 2:28 Where then are the gods you made for yourselves? Let them come if they can save you when you are in trouble! For you, Judah, have as many gods as you have towns.
1 Kings 18:27 And at noon Elijah mocked them, saying, “Cry aloud, for he is a god. Either he is musing, or he is relieving himself, or he is on a journey, or perhaps he is asleep and must be awakened.”

When an athiest refers to "Abrahamic Religions", that tells me that they have heard about Jesus, but have rejected him. It takes humility to ask a person whom you've publicly rejected for something you truly want or need.
James 4:6 But he gives us even more grace to stand against such evil desires. As the Scriptures say, "God opposes the proud but favors the humble."
Proverbs 3:34 The LORD mocks the mockers but is gracious to the humble.
1 Peter 5:5 In the same way, you who are younger, submit yourselves to your elders. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, "God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble."

Luke 18:9-14 To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’
“But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’
“I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

Luke 18:35-42 As Jesus approached Jericho, a blind man was sitting by the roadside begging. When he heard the crowd going by, he asked what was happening. They told him, “Jesus of Nazareth is passing by.”
He called out, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!”
Those who led the way rebuked him and told him to be quiet, but he shouted all the more, “Son of David, have mercy on me!”
Jesus stopped and ordered the man to be brought to him. When he came near, Jesus asked him, “What do you want me to do for you?”
“Lord, I want to see,” he replied.
Jesus said to him, “Receive your sight; your faith has healed you.” Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus, praising God. When all the people saw it, they also praised God.

One needs humility to ask for mercy, along with the knowledge of one's own transgression and a desire for peaceful relations due to Jesus' authority in heaven and on earth. There is more I'd like to share, a lot more, but to those wiling to "follow along" with my train of thought, using scripture as ultimate source for discussion. Thank you for your time, and I sure hope those who read this can read between the lines as well. Good day.
edit on 10/01/11 by Wonders because: For clarification

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Technically speaking, it is by no means the sole responsibility to the parent for prayers for children, anyone can pray for a child and have the prayer answered, there are conditions, of course, as with any procedure.

I must also add that children can pray for themselves and have those prayers answered, I can attest to that.

Children are not born athiests IMO, they become athiests when they hear the message and reject it.
edit on 10/01/11 by Wonders because: To add.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Wonders

Bing Dictionary
pray
1.speak to God: to speak to God, a deity, or a saint, e.g. in order to give thanks, express regret, or ask for help
2.hope strongly: to hope strongly for something
3.address earnest request to somebody: to ask somebody for something, especially earnestly or with passion

According to Bing, Athiests do pray.

Not to a god though. And that's what the topic is about.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   

No, I would not pray for the child to be healed, and I am not an atheist.

Why? Because I trust that whatever will be, despite my best efforts, is for the ultimate spiritual wellbeing for all concerned.

However, I may consider the serenity prayer to help sustain a semblance of equinamity during such a distressing and challenging time.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mysticnoon

May my brain grant me the understanding to accept the things I should not change, motivation to change the things I should, and the critical thinking to discern the difference.

edit on 21-7-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Wonders

Children are not born athiests IMO, they become athiests when they hear the message and reject it.

Children are not born Christians either. They become Christians when they are indoctrinated at a young age.

It's depressing how many people think "It was God" is a good replacement for "I don't know," which I would hope is short for "I don't know, but I intend to find out through rigorous scientific investigation". Either way, the honest answer is I DON'T KNOW, but I guess honesty isn't what people are looking for these days. Just a convenient lie, a falsehood perfectly crafted to suit the emotional needs of those asking.
edit on 21-7-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

The point is moot:

If a person does not beleive in a 'god'. sudden traua is not going to make them beleive. In fact, they are most likely going to take a more rational approach, rather than think that someone in the sky is going to miraculousy help them.

I'm not being rude.

If I beleived in such a god, then I would have plenty of questions to ask him. Why is my child even in this situation, would be the 1st? Because if he is all-loving and all-knowing, then he would have intervened before any accident or kdnapping in the first place.

No, an athiest does not 'suddenly' beleive...

Thats akin to an adult who suddently beleives in Santa Claus because they are not able to purchase any toys for their children.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealTruthSeeker
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Sometimes one has to be brought to their knees in order to get their attention.

yeah...sounds like slavery and bondage to me.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

When my grandchild was born she had medical issues that required a lengthy stay in neonatal ICU. My daughter, a firm Atheist was at her wit's end with fear and worry and felt helpless. She asked me what else could she possibly do that she hadn't already and I told her that maybe she should pray as God would listen to her whether she believed in Him or not. Together we prayed for my grandchild right there in the NICU waiting room. Our prayer was answered when my grandchild blossomed with good health and was released to go home within a week rather than the several months that had been expected.

Afterwards my daughter returned to her Atheist ways, but I will never forget that she prayed, was answered and gave thanks to God for blessing our family.

First, I am VERY glad that your grandchild recovered and made it through

But looking at that from a rational viewpoint, there are two things to consider- and this pretty much goes for a lot in life)....your grandchild was either GOING to make it or NOT GOING TO. Because there are only two variables, we can presume that only one is going to happen; thus no 'miracle'.

Its like calling someone a god if they say, 'Its going to rain today."

Well, it either was going to rain or not.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

reply to post by boymonkey74

LOL, if you met God you would have no choice but to bend the knee. You can play tough guy all you want, but in the end I'm sure you'll look pretty silly.

Slavery-kneel-submit-master-don't question-whip-punish-beg-mercy

These religious terms are synonomous with slavery; I wonder why..

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy

reply to post by AfterInfinity

So in other words, your answer is no you wouldn't? Your so tough and prideful that you wouldn't even consider that it might work. Talk about selfish, I'd hate to have my child haunt me and say "Why didn't you pray for me? God was willing, but you never asked".

ROFL
Sounds like the plot of a pg 13 horror movie.

BETTY DIDN'T PRAY FOR HER CHILD, SO HER CHILD DIED AND CAME BACK A WERE-GHOST!!!

I'm at work and you just made me bust out laughing

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join