It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Corporal arrested after assaulting female pedestrian for walking too close...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
San Marcos Cpl. jailed after illegally arresting pedestrian.

A pedestrian walking by was called over by Palermo and asked why she was walking by his traffic stop. He then asked for the woman’s identification.

When the woman insisted she had done nothing wrong Palermo slammed her against the Prius; then onto the concrete driveway near his patrol car.

During the assault, I wonder if he was telling her to "stop resisting!"

I dont even know what to say anymore. SHE WAS JUST WALKING BY...

Has it become too dangerous to simply be near a cop?

Not a week seems to go by where we dont hear about yet another cop attacking a citizen. I have to wonder about the incidents that never get reported.

To be honest, I would rather deal with a common criminal. When a cop attacks you, its your word against his...

edit on 18-7-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

That is truly a sad case. He just guaranteed that woman a healthy check.

Now, in light of current events, I wonder how soon it will be before someone gets the bright idea to utilize the "Stand Your Ground" law and shoots a cop for something like this.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

Please stop. Youre making too much sense.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Well at least the guy was arrested, that in of itself is surprising to me. Usually they are just put on "administrative leave" or some crap like that and still get their pay check every week. I hope justice is served.
edit on 18-7-2013 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

That is truly a sad case. He just guaranteed that woman a healthy check.

Maybe that was the women's plan all along?

I won't deny that cases of excessive force by the police are not rampant, but we should be cautious of lumping all officers in situations like this together.

The article really did not go into detail about evidence or anything contrary to the women's story.

I just fear the instance when a innocent cop losing his job or is charged as a result of a someone exaggerating or interfering with police operations.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaneOfQuo
I just fear the instance when a innocent cop losing his job or is charged as a result of a someone exaggerating or interfering with police operations.

Yes...."innocent" cop..... those exist right? Ok, just making sure.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Let me get this straight, are you suggesting that there are no innocent cops or those that morally and properly uphold the law?

If so, I say how dare you..

How about the good cops making streets safe and facing situations that you yourself would not o protect communities and the public.

I know many good men who are police officers and I won't sit by while you disrespect the work they do.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Here's my problems:

1. Eventually if by finance, war, or other destabilizing effect, this country will become a rather chaotic place to live. The police will have their hands full trying to maintain order in a situation where people are desperate. That time is coming.

2. In the event that the above happens the police are going to need allies among the people. If things like this continue to be the modus operandi of police forces around the country, they will find themselves alone and possibly be targets.

3. We need police. We need them to enforce laws that benefit society as a whole while respecting the rights of the people. If they cannot or will not do this they are going to find themselves on the 'other' side.

4. Police brutality has been used as catalysts of protest and revolution in many societies throughout human civilization. If they don't reign this stuff in we could be looking down the barrel of a new and very violent revolution with the police as the forefront of the ire of the people.

It would be prudent of the police to check themselves before it is done for them. I would hate to see the day any of what I posted above comes to pass. There would be many decent officers and LE organizations that would suffer greatly, not to mention the families of these men and women. The internet is making these stories known by all. Eventually they will run out of justifications, excuses, and explanations that satisfy the majority. Eventually something so horrible will be committed by police that it will spark a major backlash.

While I hope to the Lord above that this never happens, if the police don't start changing their ways, things are going to get very difficult for them.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaneOfQuo

Let me get this straight, are you suggesting that there are no innocent cops or those that morally and properly uphold the law?

If so, I say how dare you..

How about the good cops making streets safe and facing situations that you yourself would not o protect communities and the public.

I know many good men who are police officers and I won't sit by while you disrespect the work they do.

I'm not the person you're addressing, but I'll say it after having had my own unprovoked incidents with cops, and having seen plenty of examples of police corruption both first hand in my town and through all the stories on the internet. The only good cop in the past decade was Dorner. Not because he turned vigilante but because he actually stood up and pointed out incidents of corruption in the LAPD. Every so called good cop who doesn't actively work to get rid of the bad ones is a cop that's enabling the corrupt ones to continue. With the way the police force is set up though, you won't have a successful career and you likely won't remain on the force if you're a cop that actually stands against what some of these thugs are doing.

The unfortunate end result of that is, by definition there are no good cops because being a good cop and remaining on the force are two mutually exclusive concepts.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
my very good friend is a cop. A really good cop. He can be a jerk to the trash, but he can also be a really cool guy to people.

He trains all the rookies for our city for the most part. Its not a small city so we get a lot of new guys all the time.

He tells me that they are all for the most part gun ho and over anxious for conflict.

He has to deconstruct them and rebuild them again. They want to do all sorts of wrong crap. while that may be the way to go for a select few types of criminals it is not ok for the average person.

He tries to get them on the right track but he says some are just wired wrong. Those used to get fired early on since precincts do take care of their own in both respects, but lately since more and more cops are needed for some reason the bad apples are just not fired like before or harassed until they leave.

The federal government needs more uniforms apparently not real security forces like times past.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Most police officers put on their badges and guns and go to work every day for the same reason the rest of us don our professional garb and go to our jobs. They're there to work and provide a living for themselves and/or their families. The only problem is that the good, honest, hard working, morally upright officers very rarely make headlines. Granted, there are a handfull (usually young rookies, but occasionally some veteran officers) that get the badge and suddenly develop Barney Fyfe syndrome. Some want to be heroes, some want to exercise a sense of power and authority, but most want to provide a living in the best way they know how. Don't let the relatively few instances of cops overstepping their moral and professional boundaries determine your opinion of an entire profession. For clarification, I say relatively few simply because of the total number of police officers versus the number of examples that I'm sure are to follow. Obviously there are good police officers still out there, or the officer mentioned in the OP would be a free man and possibly receive a medal and promotion for valiantly and without regards to his own safety, putting himself in harms way to subdue this dangerous criminal.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Openeye

Well at least the guy was arrested, that in of itself is surprising to me. Usually they are just put on "administrative leave" or some crap like that and still get their pay check every week. I hope justice is served.
edit on 18-7-2013 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

Oh he certainly was for a while. He was on a paid vacation for doing this horrible thing to a passerby, even knocked out teeth.

Wonder why he called her over, must have been planning to do something illegal to the people he pulled over and then thought she might be a witness and took his rage at being thwarted out on her.
edit on 28-7-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by BaneOfQuo

His superiors investigated it, didn't think it added up, questioned her, and let her go. The higher ups in the police force found his treatment of her to be criminal. That should tell you something.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by tadaman
my very good friend is a cop. A really good cop. He can be a jerk to the trash, but he can also be a really cool guy to people.

He trains all the rookies for our city for the most part. Its not a small city so we get a lot of new guys all the time.

Many (most?) of our police problems come straight from top level police management. Cops act out because they believe it's acceptable and/or they can get away with it.

Your description of a cop as being a jerk to "trash" sounds very unprofessional behavior. I wonder how many people categorize him as "trash"?

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere
San Marcos Cpl. jailed after illegally arresting pedestrian.

Has it become too dangerous to simply be near a cop? ......

edit on 18-7-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

here's some advice. If you want to live a simple happy life, avoid all major institutions and their employees. That includes: schools, hospitals, justices, cops, g=v, banks, taxman, etc etc etc. They're all bad news. They're job is to try and ruine yoru life. Stay far away from them. Give them no reason to come after you. If you see one coming, slowly but deliberately walk the other way. Don't even talk to any of these workers if you can avoid it. If they call don't answer, if they come to your front door, don't answer. That way you avoid a lot of problems. Ya give them all a wide birth. The unfortunate truth is a lot of innocent people have died by getting to close. Like I'm not saying they're all bad. most people that work for these entities are good people. But they don't know any better. They don't realize what part they're playing out in the big picture. They want your money, your time, your soul, your stuff, your rights, everything and anything they can get there hands on. Again they're not bad people but they seem to have bought into the system, a lot of them, and they are out to ruine lives.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by juspassinthru

Trash is a guy who beats nearly to death a kid because he got too drunk.....

or someone first kills a person to rob them.... for fun...

or what ever else you can imagine goes on in NY, or anywhere.....ever been to a crime ridden neighborhood?

If you cant FIGHT crime then stay behind a desk. If not a ghetto will literally get you and your partner killed. I am not a cop and I know this.

Professionalism is not looking for vengeance but rather serving justice. My friend is very professional. He also gets the Job done.....

And he is one of the most decorated officers in our city. Guy is a freaking super hero.....and a great person.

edit on 28-7-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join