It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The helpful thread...........Tips and tricks for fellow members

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Hi guys

I was in the Coffee thread earlier this week when I mentioned that I had bruised a few ribs

Fellow member and friend to whom I will be eternally grateful littled16 suggested taping them up.

I did, it was amazing, what a difference, although I'll admit that I looked like a fed ex delivery when I took my shirt off
I'm laughing because I can now without wincing too much

It got me to thinking what tips could we give other members to make life a tad easier or more bearable ?

It would be better if it weren't medical as I would always advise going to a professional for assistance.

My first one

Install a shelf and brackets over the bathroom door to put that out-of-the-way spot to good use: Keep towels or bulky items there to save space in closets and cabinets. If you have enough room to install more than one shelf, keep the items you use least at the very top.

Also

We use upturned lids from jam (jelly) jars to rest our salt and pepper grinders. Saves one hell of a lot of mess

Cody

edit on 18/7/13 by cody599 because: Crap at typing

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

oOO, you have just given me a great idea for our bathroom Cody!

Ladies,

When parking your car in reverse could you kindly use the mirror to see who is behind you and not for checking that your hair is in place?

*limps away on crutches*

Seriously though... Here are 2 quickies off the top of my head :

For all of you spider haters, gather conkers (horse chestnuts) in autumn and plave a couple on each window sill, these keeps them away no problems.

If you want to know what the weather will be like the next day without watching the forecast, just keep an old pine cone somewhere in your house, when it is humid the pine cone will open and when the weather is going to be dry, the pine cone will close.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 18-7-2013 by Rodinus because: Phrase added

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Thank you Cody, that is an excellent idea (and very thoughtful of you). I might attempt that project this weekend.

Norma Jean

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I got one...

Never trust a bald barber.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Bathroom door shelves. So simple. So useful.

I get a weekly emailer from something called "instructable" - some clever stuff in there, as well, mixed up with some pretty bad ideas. Entertaining, nonetheless.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Or a thin chef monkeynuts

Isn't littled dry yet

Cody

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

No she has a dirty kitty

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

For all of you spider haters, gather conkers (horse chestnuts) in autumn and plave a couple on each window sill, these keeps them away no problems.

How and why does that work?
Going to try that one
I hate spiders, rather them not be in my house than me needing to kill them.

Here is another helpful trick for any gardeners plagued by slugs.

The homemade slug trap :

As simple as it looks, basically cut a bottle and put the neck in the base upside down and attach it with some string or tape. Then put some beer in the base, then place it in the garden close to the crops you want to protect.
It is best to bury the trap Also

Oh and don't go wasting good beer, top it up with the warm dregs of your last bottle

Cider works also, it's the sugar that sends them crazy. A good way to drown though isn't it?

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by normajean

Just thought with so many great minds on ATS we might be able to help each other

Want to borrow my drill ?

It really is a great place to put stuff and at the risk of sounding off character

Colour co-ordination really enhances it.

The wife made me type that

Cody

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by cody599

No she has a dirty kitty

I'll look for kitty cleaning in google
Although judging by the storm she had yesterday

She may need your services again

Cody

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SquirrelNutz

It's the simple things that are so useful

We have a white board next to the front door, just to say I love you or remind one of us to take that thing with us when we leave.

At the moment it has KEYS BABES after driving home again to open the door

Cody

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
with this weather I looked this up

Freeze cubes of aloe vera for instant sunburn relief when you forget the SPF.

Cody

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
If you enjoy hiking, and wish to do away with as much weight as possible, don't bother purchasing an expensive light-weight stove. Make your own for next to nothing:

It works perfectly and will boil water in 5 minutes or so using very little fuel, which can then be re-bottled and re-used. Lightweight, free (except the $1 used to buy alcohol), environmentally friendly.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

I wish I had something to contribute.

Looking forward to the helpful hints.

OP, did it hurt as you were taping your ribs?

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Helpful thread. Lots of useful information here.

I thought I might added just a little something.

For those of you who like cookies but don't like the baker that overcooked them.

When the cookies are overcooked they tend to get as hard as a rock. I am not talking about those dreadfully burnt cookies. . ( like the ones that Cody offers to the newbies ) ( though this would work for those too). ..

Take your hard as a rock cookies and throw them into an air tight container. Add a couple of slices of bread .. 2 slices for 2-3 dozen. Seal it up for a day.. .. . The result is the softest cookies you have ever laid teeth on. It is truly amazing. The cookies will be very soft and the bread will be hard as a rock. Give it a try sometime.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSubversiveOne

I love this! Gonna make one this weekend!

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Thanks for the mention Cody!

I cannot stress enough how invaluable empty coffee cans are! I use them to store different sized nails and screws and write the size on the lid with a Sharpie. I keep different small pieces for crafting in coffee cans and cover those with fabric or construction paper so they don't even look like coffee cans. At Christmas time I cover coffee cans in festive fabrics and fill them with homemade candies, cookies, and homemade ornaments for my friends and neighbors. The uses are endless!

It's also always good to keep a friendly monkey handy for when certain things need a good scrubbing, but we won't get into the details here!

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Strangely no

I asked a friend at work to tape me up

he was fast and the relief was almost immediate

It could just be that the pain was relative though

Cody

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadellacZumbrum
reply to post by cody599

Helpful thread. Lots of useful information here.

I thought I might added just a little something.

For those of you who like cookies but don't like the baker that overcooked them.

When the cookies are overcooked they tend to get as hard as a rock. I am not talking about those dreadfully burnt cookies. . ( like the ones that Cody offers to the newbies ) ( though this would work for those too). ..

Take your hard as a rock cookies and throw them into an air tight container. Add a couple of slices of bread .. 2 slices for 2-3 dozen. Seal it up for a day.. .. . The result is the softest cookies you have ever laid teeth on. It is truly amazing. The cookies will be very soft and the bread will be hard as a rock. Give it a try sometime.

I do my best

I'm still learning

Cody

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
That shelf over the door thing is brilliant. My wanna-be Mike Holmes is gonna love it. Thanks!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join