It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jimmy Carter: Eric Snowden’s Exposure Of NSA Spying Program Was ‘Beneficial’

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Famouszor
reply to post by dominicus

The republicans started it when bush jr was in office.

But no one remembers that.

Sure we do. The difference is that most of us agree that they were both criminally wrong instead of saying it's ok for Obama because Bush started it.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Came for the Carter Argumentum Ad Hominem - leaving without disappointment.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I am glad that nsa echelon spying program is becoming more mainstream by the day. I have known about it for a long time because I like computing and network magazines. I also like fringe topics and frequent alternative sites.

The problem has been lack of exposure and credibility. Information can be found if you want to bad enough.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

The republicans started it when bush jr was in office.

Honestly getting sick and tired of blaming Bush and the right for something that was written YEARS before he ever got in to office

The next year, months before the Oklahoma City bombing took place, Biden introduced another bill called the Omnibus Counterterrorism Act of 1995. It previewed the 2001 Patriot Act by allowing secret evidence to be used in prosecutions, expanding the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act and wiretap laws, creating a new federal crime of "terrorism" that could be invoked based on political beliefs, permitting the U.S. military to be used in civilian law enforcement, and allowing permanent detection of non-U.S. citizens without judicial review. The Center for National Security Studies said the bill would erode "constitutional and statutory due process protections" and would "authorize the Justice Department to pick and choose crimes to investigate and prosecute based on political beliefs and associations."

killfile.newsvine.com...

Then goes back even further to FISA:

The Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978 ("FISA" Pub.L. 95–511, 92 Stat. 1783, 50 U.S.C. ch. 36) is a United States law which prescribes procedures for the physical and electronic surveillance and collection of "foreign intelligence information" between "foreign powers" and "agents of foreign powers" (which may include American citizens and permanent residents suspected of espionage or terrorism).[1] The law does not apply outside the United States. The law has been repeatedly amended since the September 11 attacks.

en.wikipedia.org...

Bush does have some culpability BUT IT'S NOT ALL ON HIM.

I forgot who was president in 78?

So the Patriot act was an amendment on an already PREXISTING LAW.

edit on 18-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
The democracy was never functional. It's been a republic since day 1.

And this is what gets into office. No wonder our government is dysfunctional.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Carter was among the last "white hat" presidents... the rest have all been marionette clowns - with the media love they receive being more important to them than anything save the continuity of their notional empire of power.

I agree. He still is a good guy.

What bothers me however is I watched after Obama was elected the first term, and he had some meeting, and came out crestfallen. So a puppet he may be, even named a very controversial term in Hebrew, obviously has had to be a pawn before the election was run. But I don't really think they have any choices.

However, one group cannot hold the entire human race hostage and there has to be a way that they are revealed by the leaders.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

I wonder if that is the same 'majority' that is trying to skin a dude alive for being found not guilty.

With you don't form opinions based off the 'mob thought makes right'.

For a fellow that 'hates' spying then Runs to to the two largest spies who have been spying on us for DECADES, and Carter supports that ??

Something very seriously dysfunctional with Americans today.

So you think it's okay to PRE judge Snowden of SOMETHING because of association, but also happy with the outcome of another citizen's trial, regardless of any controversy, just to make a point about "Americans today" and a larger political point no doubt.
I take it you've never heard of the Salem Witch trials then. By your reckoning then Snowden is a Witch and worked in association with a heap of other Witches, except he has the runions to prove it. And that proof is that his government was totally in agreement in what he was doing. WTF.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   

edit on 18-7-2013 by neo96 because: never mind

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

I was a little on the fence about Snowden but now that I hear Carter supports his action I know Snowden is a douche.

You won't find this being mentioned on Fox, Msn, Cnn, or any others......hmmmmm i wonder why.

Because Carter is a senile, irrelevant old man??

If Snowden would have stopped at whistle blowing about the domestic spying only I would respect him. I find it hard to believe he didn’t give communist countries a LOT more. For that, he’s scum

edit on 18-7-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

Like the russians and chineese did not already know a lot about america and nato before snowden? They needed snowden to come to them to embarras the nsa and at the same time give a few more other secrets, right?

You come across like a republican hackjob to me. Neo96 as well. Republican presidents all good, democrat presidents all bad.

What happened to the end justifies the means? What happens when you can't spill corruption with american media because they won't listen cause they are under national security laws? I mean the american government has already been caught spying on the citizens AND ON THE MEDIA! What more do you want?

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Seems your buying the shmear propaganda campaign. Unfortunately for you, the verdict is out, majority see him as a hero.

Well that’s not saying much. The majority of Americans voted for a Marxist community organizer from corrupt Chicago.

Unfortunately for you, I don’t change my values based on public sentiment or mob rule.

I wonder if that is the same 'majority' that is trying to skin a dude alive for being found not guilty.

With you don't form opinions based off the 'mob thought makes right'.

For a fellow that 'hates' spying then Runs to to the two largest spies who have been spying on us for DECADES, and Carter supports that ??

Something very seriously dysfunctional with Americans today.

Nope. I mean you can try to make it appear that way. Every right winger supports zimmerman, is anti-snowden, is pro guns and definitely republican. On the other hand every "left winger" is a democrat is anti-zimmerman, pro-snowden, anti-guns.

I actually support zimmerman, pro-snowden, pro-guns, definitely neither D or R.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Nope. I mean you can try to make it appear that way. Every right winger supports zimmerman, is anti-snowden, is pro guns and definitely republican. On the other hand every "left winger" is a democrat is anti-zimmerman, pro-snowden, anti-guns.

That is one hell of an assumption not calling for Snowden's head now am i?

Point where in the ATS manual that I have to support an ex NSA spook that ran to the two biggest ones in the world?

Always do love it when people tell me what I think.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum
It doesn't really matter now does it? If Eisenhower was aware of the dangers of the military industrial complex, then surely Carter was also, so why didn't he try and do something when it mattered?

If I recall correctly, nsa spying on citizens became a thing under Bush just prior to 9/11......

On top of that I believe when a new President steps into office on the first day, they get a sit down with the mega-corp military contractor ceos and illuminati, letting him know he's just an actor on a stage, a puppet.

^^^ Yep, this. "Ok little Johnny. This is how the world really works. See that plastic toy over there on the little plastic stage? That's you. Pretty cool huh? All those plastic people looking at you, that's the people. See who's picking up the plastic people, including you, and moving them around? That's right, it's us.... And don't forget it..!!!"

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Zimmerman not relevant if all readers followed the last phrase chain of links to USA TODAY's 2~ min video interview-

www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2013/07/17/george-zimmerman-trayvon-martin-jimmy-carter/2524809/
Jimmy Carter: Zimmerman jury made 'right decision'

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Way to go Jimmy! At least he has the fortitude to call out the NSA spying program. He has more backbone at his age then any of the other living presidents. I've always thought Carter was too honest to be a politician let alone a president.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

I see this at least once a month. There's something to be said of that.

-Staff member not familiar with the news media concept of dynamic titles.
-Outdated TOS that doesn't reflect modern media technology use and standard practice by many news websites

Only an issue because of those 2 clashing.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by wujotvowujotvowujotvo

I see this at least once a month. There's something to be said of that.

-Staff member not familiar with the news media concept of dynamic titles.
-Outdated TOS that doesn't reflect modern media technology use and standard practice by many news websites

Only an issue because of those 2 clashing.

yeah that's super weak .....makes me consider staring a new forum and bringing all you guys over there with freedom to post whatever you want, remain anonymous, encrypted, servers in Cuba ........and NO MODS CHANGING THREAD TITLES!!!!!

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Why are you so hyper? Its not your site and the mods can do as they please.

Just saying!

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   

reply to post by EarthCitizen07

That is one hell of an assumption not calling for Snowden's head now am i?

Point where in the ATS manual that I have to support an ex NSA spook that ran to the two biggest ones in the world?

Always do love it when people tell me what I think.

I bet NATO spies more on nato citizens than on russia and china combined. I bet you don't have a problem with that though. Not that I love russia or china either, they have plenty of fans and don't need me.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07
I bet NATO spies more on nato citizens than on russia and china combined. I bet you don't have a problem with that though. Not that I love russia or china either, they have plenty of fans and don't need me.

If you'll pardon the intrusion, I believe the real problem is that any intelligence effort demands moral unambiguity.

The real truth is that since the gentle insertion of strictly corporate contracting into such efforts... it simply will not be controlled... there is no liability - outside political peril.

It was the subject of many arguments which were generally dismissed as ... lunatic conspiratorial paranoia.

The issue is transnational now... and the helmsmen are now, for all intents and purposes, supranational.

I could wax on... but this may be tangential enough to be considered off topic.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join