It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jimmy Carter: Eric Snowden’s Exposure Of NSA Spying Program Was ‘Beneficial’

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Ex-President Carter comes out in support of Snowden, says Democracy no longer functional

Carter has been pummeled by the media and politics for decades. This, a man of conscience, is often the butt of jokes not only from his polarized opposites, but from his own party.

I have met this man personally in his hometown of Plains, Georgia. He is well educated... a veteran of the US Navy and had a big part in the creation of the nuclear sub fleet. He is also a man of conscience and conviction... which then often runs head-on into politics and that is where he has seen his biggest problems.

As president, he was handed an economy in shambles with inflation basically running amok. His response was flawed... he tried to micromanage by way of less than perfect cabinet members and appointed office holders but his intent was to stop big corporations from basically controlling every aspect of the economy.

Anyway... as politically disliked as Mr. Carter is, we have certainly seen far worse examples in the White House since his departure.

Okay, I don't need a blindfold. Just shoot and get it over with.

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum
It doesn't really matter now does it? If Eisenhower was aware of the dangers of the military industrial complex, then surely Carter was also, so why didn't he try and do something when it mattered?

I suspect you may not be aware of your recent history.... Carter did do something....

Under the Carter Administration the most stringent regulations were imposed upon the intelligence gathering community - especially in regards to protecting American citizens from it...

(This of course was characterized by the media in such a manner as to make it seem like a 'bad thing.' With what we understand as the nature of the media and it's own 'propaganda for hire' nature - we can see why it was so. The stigma has been reinforced and settled as you can see by the posts of those fully invested in the 'political' theatrics.)

Frankly, those directives created for the purpose of restraining the misuse of intelligence resources to the ends of political and 'business' purposes were almost immediately dismantled by later administrations... most notably and haphazardly by a former CIA Director turned President... Many in the intelligence community were left scratching their heads...

Of course, this is all irrelevant now, since the global power structure became so well entrenched within our influential corporate community of super-citizens as to make it legally acceptable to 'contract' and 'agree' to allow and exchange data with other nations who spy on foreign citizens and use the information as an exchange of "value" for information from another reciprocally obliged "ally."

Carter specifically, and with full force of his office, directed the US Military (which still had real control of the intelligence machinery - unlike today) to react with immediate and definitive action upon the detection of any American citizens information being included in their intelligence gathering... He wanted to make it impossible for another "Watergate" scandal to occur... later administrations would have none of it... go figure.

Carter was among the last "white hat" presidents... the rest have all been marionette clowns - with the media love they receive being more important to them than anything save the continuity of their notional empire of power.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
heck nsa could also be selecting / and or earmarking individuals for some classified ops

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Compared to the progressive fascist scum bags of today Carter is a middle of the road guy. Something changed people and the world we live in today is scary. Lies wrapped in conspiracies.

The world and it's people all have ADD. Until this changes kiss your freedom goodbye. Everything is controlled..........Everything.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

I was a little on the fence about Snowden but now that I hear Carter supports his action I know Snowden is a douche.

You won't find this being mentioned on Fox, Msn, Cnn, or any others......hmmmmm i wonder why.

Because Carter is a senile, irrelevant old man??

If Snowden would have stopped at whistle blowing about the domestic spying only I would respect him. I find it hard to believe he didn’t give communist countries a LOT more. For that, he’s scum

edit on 18-7-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

On top of that I believe when a new President steps into office on the first day, they get a sit down with the mega-corp military contractor ceos and illuminati, letting him know he's just an actor on a stage, a puppet.

Conjecture?!

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

I agree with MountainLaurel as well. I find it very remarkable how quickly presidents age after they take office. Did my best on making sure that the photos were from the correct year but this is really worth a look.

Obama 2008: sasinsaudi.files.wordpress.com...
Obama 2009: static.guim.co.uk...
Obama 2010: www.usafricaonline.com...
Obama 2011: static.guim.co.uk...
Obama 2012: newsinfo.inquirer.net...
Obama 2013: static.guim.co.uk...

Now bounce between 2008 and 2013 for the extreme contrast. It's like the life gets sucked right out of them. It's an interesting phenomena that you can see with nearly every president since in the last few decades. Rapid aging, hair growing white, and extraordinary pallor (Obama's face is unhealthily pale--hence his yellowed skin tone). I do believe that presidents, when they first are running for election, are filled with idealism because nothing sells better than real idealism. It's what gets them into office because it wins the hearts and minds of their constituents. Once they take office, they get consumed by the machine. In a way, I almost feel sorry for Obama. Almost.

In regards to the Wisconsin speech, where was it at in Wisconsin? I'm very good at digging things up and a finer location would help narrow it down.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by SquirrelNutz

On top of that I believe when a new President steps into office on the first day, they get a sit down with the mega-corp military contractor ceos and illuminati, letting him know he's just an actor on a stage, a puppet.

Conjecture?!

would require a whole separate thread involving a multitude of links. Most obvious is the majority of promises that are made during campaigns that go unfulfilled, the reason why Kennedy got killed, insider revelations, who the lobbyist groups are and how much power they hold, all the alphabets having gone rouge, unaccounted for military industrial complex black budgets with billions missing, proxy wars funding both sides and seeing who gets the contracts ........I digress....

I was a little on the fence about Snowden but now that I hear Carter supports his action I know Snowden is a douche.

If you make your opinions about people based on what others you may not like say about them, well then you sure are a great judge of character (cough*sarcasm*cough)

Because Carter is a senile, irrelevant old man??

Seems to put together perfectly logical sentences to me and I have yet to find a "senile argument piece" and any articles i've read over the last 24 hours ..so moot point

If Snowden would have stopped at whistle blowing about the domestic spying only I would respect him. I find it hard to believe he didn’t give communist countries a LOT more. For that, he’s scum

HE clearly said he didn't share anything w/ any commy countries except revealing what Communist United Shtazi of America has been unconstitutionally committing.

Seems your buying the shmear propaganda campaign. Unfortunately for you, the verdict is out, majority see him as a hero.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
This is the CNN story, scroll a third down the page for Jimmy Carter's remarks.

edition.cnn.com...

It is not a Jimmy Carter headline, it is part of another story on Snowden's father.

A partial quote,
"He's obviously violated the laws of America, for which he's responsible, but I think the invasion of human rights and American privacy has gone too far," he said.
"I think that the secrecy that has been surrounding this invasion of privacy has been excessive, so I think that the bringing of it to the public notice has probably been, in the long term, beneficial."

Jimmy Carter has quite a bit more to say as well, but then he was one of the more intelligent Presidents.

edit on 18-7-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

edit on 18-7-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Alternative4u

HAHAHAHAHA !!!! Blair and Obama? They were never in office at the same moment! I am actually crying with laughter!

Oh God! Heehee! Right... now, listen. GEORGE BUSH was the person in charge when all the monitoring and messing about with peoples data is alleged to have begun, and was a very secret program. He and Blair might be the ultimate arch bastards, but Blair and Obama were never in power at the same time, and they only met well after Tony Blair was no longer the PM.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Seems your buying the shmear propaganda campaign. Unfortunately for you, the verdict is out, majority see him as a hero.

Well that’s not saying much. The majority of Americans voted for a Marxist community organizer from corrupt Chicago.

Unfortunately for you, I don’t change my values based on public sentiment or mob rule.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Yeah, that is how we all conspiracies theorist are call this days, nuttier an nuttier, sadly it seems that been nuttier actually is also been anti system and anti government this days also.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

The republicans started it when bush jr was in office.

But no one remembers that.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum
It doesn't really matter now does it? If Eisenhower was aware of the dangers of the military industrial complex, then surely Carter was also, so why didn't he try and do something when it mattered?

If I recall correctly, nsa spying on citizens became a thing under Bush just prior to 9/11......

Yes, the CIA did do that with Governor Jessie Vantura but he just ignored them. However, if he had been POTUS he could have ended up getting the JFK treatment. Who remembers what John "Songbird" McCain called it during this first national TV debate with Barak Barack Obama? He called it "the intervention...er...tragedy in Dallas." Clearly, McCain knows what you are talking about, and so do all the Presidential hopefuls that get "selected" for us. It would not surprise me, if, among themselves, they referred to the Kennedy assassination as an "intervention."

Democracy isn't broken, it is working exactly the way it was meant to.

The problem is we were never meant to be a democracy.... our founders knew from their study of history that this would only lead us to were we are today, so the sought to give us a Constructional Republic to "chain down" the mischief of men. Liberal's like to say that they were American first oligarchy, but they didn't see themselves that way. They saw the tyranny of King George and want to create a nation that would preserve liberty for future generations.

Former President Jimmy Carter is just saying what we all know is true. We bring “democracy” to other nations with the barrel of a gun because we covet their natural resources. American has a bad case of totalitarianism, and the whole would is being made to suffer for it. The solution is simple, decentralize everything starting with money.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Former President Jimmy Carter is just saying what we all know is true. We bring “democracy” to other nations with the barrel of a gun because we covet their natural resources. American has a bad case of totalitarianism, and the whole would is being made to suffer for it. The solution is simple, decentralize everything starting with money.

Another former President knew this would happen someday. In fact, after he drafted our Constitution and sat back with pride, he still believed in his heart that every generation would need a new revolution. New Hampshire is one of several states that recognizes a right to revolution within their state constitution because many of our nation’s founder understood what Jefferson did when said, “The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure. Our Convention has been too much impressed by the insurrection of Massachusets: and in the spur of the moment they are setting up a kite to keep the hen yard in order”

Our founders knew democracy would lead to tyranny, and so they gave us a Constitutional Republic in hopes that a Supreme Law of the Land would “chain down” the mischief of men for a time. They knew it would not last for ever, but this was their best effort to stop or at least retard that inevitable tyranny. We may disagree how well It has worked over the past 200 years, but now even our living ex-Presidents must admit the obvious. We are just flying a red, white and blue kite called "democracy" while the fascist foxes rule the hen house.

When it comes to a persons individual health, as we all know, prevention is the best cure. In the same way, our Founders knew the best cure for tyranny was prevention. When the undue influence of a financial oligarchy uses their false authority to corrupt the political process, we must admit there is no real democracy. When a government becomes corrupted by the forces of greed, corporatism becomes fascism. This is what has happened to us. Our ideal of a “Democratic Republic” (i.e., representative form of government) has become a cruel joke that looks more and more like George Orwell’s 1984.

We need a new revolution, but this time technology can be used to "chain down" the mischief of men who would otherwise use technology to create a Stasi-like police state (and indeed, have done so). The peer-to-peer technology that keeps Bitcoin a decentralized money system could be used to reform the democratic process (how we vote) as well as our republican form of government (how our leaders spend our tax dollars).

The Bitcoin model is one of ’Distributed Consensus’ and it is showing people that a new way to govern money is possible. It also flip the hierarchical control system on it’s head, allowing ’Distributed Consensus’ among WE THE PEOPLE so that government can once again be our servant rather than our master.

goo.gl...

It is within our means to reinvent government but first and foremost this means decentralizing the creation of money. Just as our Founders saw the wisdom in separating church and state, we must see the wisdom in separating money and state. Those who understand bitcon know this already.

If you want honest government demand honest money.

Bitcion fulfills the dream of Thomas Jefferson, that “the issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belong.

unspy.wordpress.com...

edit on 18-7-2013 by wasaka because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-7-2013 by wasaka because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Thank god for someone who can still see the trees

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   

A former U.S. president says that he supports Eric Snowden’s decision to expose the NSA’s domestic spying program.

Eric? Does Edward have an evil twin? Now that would be pretty cool for evasive purposes. He's here, no he's there.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Well that’s not saying much. The majority of Americans voted for a Marxist community organizer from corrupt Chicago.

Unfortunately for you, I don’t change my values based on public sentiment or mob rule.

The day i first heard about the leak, the word "Hero" spontaneously erupted from my heart and conscience, and I'm as pro-USA as they come.

If you are a US citizen, pro-constitution, pro-Freedom, Pro-Unalienable Rights, and believe in what Americais supposed to be about based on the founding fathers, then Snowden should be deemed a Hero in your eyes fro revealing unconstitutional acts by branches of Gov which have gone rouge and don't abide by the Constitution anymore, with the NSA director lying to Congress and to the American people on record, still sitting in his cush job, and nothing is being done.

This is exactly how the Shtazi Gestapo started w keeping tabs and records. There will come a day within the next 10-20 years, if nothing is done about what Snowden,has revealed, that you won't be able to speak your mind like we do here, cause agents will bust the door down and take those who disagree to special "camps".......you will see it in your lifetime

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

I wonder if that is the same 'majority' that is trying to skin a dude alive for being found not guilty.

With you don't form opinions based off the 'mob thought makes right'.

For a fellow that 'hates' spying then Runs to to the two largest spies who have been spying on us for DECADES, and Carter supports that ??

Something very seriously dysfunctional with Americans today.

edit on 18-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I have to agree with President Carter.

Wow - that felt weird writing that!
But it is the truth - America has become the very tyrant that we fought to get our freedom from originally.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join