It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSNBC: Glenn Greenwald Comments on the Progress and the Hypocrisy 7-17-13

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I found this on the daily paul website and thought it might be worth sharing. The reporter asks a question to which he responds at 7:53 in the video.

Q: He [Snowden] is seeking refuge in Countries with abysmal human rights records... and he even went so far as to say he wanted to congratulate the leaders of Venezuela, Ecuador, Bolivia and Russia for standing up on this issue and being protectors of human rights... Given their records domestically... is that not hypocritical?

I wasn't exactly sure what forum to put it in and if it's already been posted, I apologize. I hope the Snowden leaks are the beginning of something that cannot be stopped. Perhaps a wake up call to our country.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
More glaring question that should first be addressed...

Why is anyone watching MSNBC? It's literally ObamaTV.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by solongandgoodnight

She answers her own question, whats it say about the United States government if Snowden is seeking refuge in countries which are so "terrible"?

Greenwald has been very effective in pointing out the hypocrisies of BOTH Parties in regards to civil liberties:

Progressives and the Ron Paul fallacies .

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Do you deny that Snowden is seeking asylum in countries with reputations for dismal human rights?

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by solongandgoodnight

I have been asking myself the same thing. Coming from Greenwald in the current situation it is, I think, understandable. By doing so he is helping Snowden in his present desperate situation. With other people that currently have no direct responisbility re Snowden I am less understanding.

And as to the wake up call. I hope it goes far beyond just your country and Greenwald once more hinted at further things to be published here:

July 17, 2013, 8:00 am Snoop Snoop Song: A Conversation with Glenn Greenwald Glenn Greenwald on the importance of privacy, the hypocrisy of Democrats, and how he almost lost the NSA leak

I still haven’t gone through all of it... ...the most significant revelations are yet to come... ...the stuff that has shocked me the most is the stuff we haven’t even written about... ...the more viscerally shocking these revelations are, the more pressure there will be on members of Congress and the media to take it seriously and to act...

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

Do you deny that Snowden is seeking asylum in countries with reputations for dismal human rights?

Not at all. In fact, that's about the only chance he has for refuge.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

And he thinks that's an improvement? A better place to be? A place where people are much less free than they are in America? Maybe he plans to work for their government so he can rat on them too. Then where will he go?

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

You ask that as if the US is sterling. Are you under the impression that the US is not doing anything wrong?

Just the fact that Snowden has to take refuge in these countries that have a reputation should make you wonder. If the US was so sterling why doesn't he come back to it as a whistleblower with protections?

Oh that's right. He can't.

Because the US has become abusive in itself in the name of keeping us "safe" from terrorism.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

The United States is a terrible human rights violator. We kill people all over the world, assassinate our political opponents and promote an empty and decadent lifestyle.

I would take Putin over Obama in a heart beat as my leader. Russia is what the US used to be.

I can't believe you see our big brother government as "free". What a joke.

edit on 2013/7/18 by Metallicus because: eta

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Terminal1

You ask that as if the US is sterling. Are you under the impression that the US is not doing anything wrong?

Just the fact that Snowden has to take refuge in these countries that have a reputation should make you wonder. If the US was so sterling why doesn't he come back to it as a whistleblower with protections?

Oh that's right. He can't.

Because the US has become abusive in itself in the name of keeping us "safe" from terrorism.

He knows he broke laws - that's why he's scared to come back to the US. What's hypocritical is that he's bragging about how great these other countries are, when it's obvious they are even worse than the U.S. If he has such a high and mighty standard of what a country should be, why is he praising countries who are known to be horrible? Why bash the U.S., but praise Russia?

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Come on now... you are smarter than that.

If you think REALLY hard you may come up with an answer to that one.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Metallicus

The United States is a terrible human rights violator. We kill people all over the world, assassinate our political opponents and promote an empty and decadent lifestyle.

I would take Putin over Obama in a heart beat as my leader. Russia is what the US used to be.

I can't believe you see our big brother government as "free". What a joke.

edit on 2013/7/18 by Metallicus because: eta

Well, gee - I can go where I want, live where I want, eat where I want, work where I want, read whatever book I want, watch whatever movie I want. I live in a nice house, have a nice car, I've never been in a jail. I have access to everything on the Internet. I feel pretty free. But if you mean I can't kill whomever I want or steal from whomever I want, than I guess you'd be right.

I know America is not perfect, but it's a lot better than it used to be. It used to be horrible if you were a black person. It used to be a lot worse if you were gay, but that's getting better. It used to be bad if you were an American-Asian during WWII. It used to be a lot worse if you were a woman. In fact, the only people America used to be really good for, was white wealthy males. If that is what you mean when you say Russia is what the US used to be, then I would agree.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   

And he thinks that's an improvement? A better place to be? A place where people are much less free than they are in America? Maybe he plans to work for their government so he can rat on them too. Then where will he go?
you have got to be a member that was planted here or something. I'm in awe at the moment.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   

You mean he's lying about these other countries to save himself? What a principled guy.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   

My thoughts are that he didn't think this through very well from the start and now he's stuck taking anything he can get. I really think he assumed he would be hailed as a hero. Lol

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

But if you mean I can't kill whomever I want or steal from whomever I want, than I guess you'd be right.

Wow, way to put words in my mouth. The 'free' country of the US is the only entity I said kills its enemies. I certainly don't believe in killing except in self-defense.

You also finally identified that chip on your shoulder. You are a bigot.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

My thoughts are that he didn't think this through very well from the start and now he's stuck taking anything he can get. I really think he assumed he would be hailed as a hero. Lol

Well THAT I would totally agree with. I think he is a narcissist who craved this attention, and mistakenly thought he would be worshipped by all. Maybe he thought they would even name a holiday after him. He's not as smart as he thinks he is. And he's not as angelic or principled as he claims to be.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

You mean he's lying about these other countries to save himself? What a principled guy.

Hi Kayla,

Is your back tired from carrying this corrupt Administration?

Where else could Snowden go? North Korea? Iran?

I am not crazy about his actions. But at least I am willing to hear what he has to say.

He is a man without a Country...

Have a nice day....Stay Classy...

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Well THAT I would totally agree with. I think he is a narcissist who craved this attention, and mistakenly thought he would be worshipped by all. Maybe he thought they would even name a holiday after him. He's not as smart as he thinks he is. And he's not as angelic or principled as he claims to be.

He just neither had an exit strategy or a contingent plan. Like I said, he didn't think it through whatsoever.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Metallicus

But if you mean I can't kill whomever I want or steal from whomever I want, than I guess you'd be right.

Wow, way to put words in my mouth. The 'free' country of the US is the only entity I said kills its enemies. I certainly don't believe in killing except in self-defense.

You also finally identified that chip on your shoulder. You are a bigot.

Can't debate the facts so resorts to name calling... nice.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join