It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anger and calls for boycotts as Anti-Vaccine Jennie McCarthy joins The View cast. .

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Hollywood celeb Jenny McCarthy has an autistic child and she believes vaccines are to blame for his condition. She will be the new Co-Host at that (awful) show 'The View'. There have been calls to boycott the show because of this.

Jenny McCarthy statements on Vaccines and Autism

Q - Your book points out that autism rates between 1983 and 2008 have climbed in lockstep with vaccination rates, yet childhood obesity, diabetes and even cell-phone use have soared since then, too. Why do you find causation in one and not the others?

A - I'm not saying it's only the vaccines. But children are given so many shots from the moment they're born. They get multiple injections all at once, and if they fall behind, doctors put them on a catch-up schedule. Babies get the hepatitis B vaccine immediately after they're born and the only way for a newborn to contract that disease is if the mother is a carrier. Why not just screen the mother? Evan was handed to me pre-vaccinated with a Band-Aid on his foot.

Q - Most people who blame autism on vaccines point to the mercury in the shots, yet mercury has been removed from most vaccines and autism rates continue to climb.

A - We don't believe it's only the mercury. Aluminum and other toxins also play a role. The viruses in the vaccines themselves can be causing it, too.

More at the link. She sounds rather level headed and informed to me. Which means she won't last long at 'The View'. It's a rather mindless show.

Jenny McCarthys Hiring on The View Prompts Backlash and Boycott Calls

McCarthy has long been an outspoken opponent of vaccinating children, claiming that her 11-year-old son’s diagnosis with autism in 2005 was due to his baby vaccinations.

Site that is against McCarthys anti-vaccine statements
Jenny McCarthy Anti-Vaccine Body Count

Green our Vaccines - Jenny McCarthy and Jim Carrey

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Well, I've never cared for the show anyway, but I think giving a "vaccine denier" a formal mainstream hosting spot to pontificate from is a bit of a hazard to say the least. Science seems mixed if not running pretty strong against the vaccine solution for Autism. She is absolutely no scientist or doctor anyway, so opinions are like.. well... a certain orifice everyone has ..and hers are like most for what they're full of.

* For full disclosure, my own son is high functioning autistic. I DO have a dog in this hunt and a very intensely personal interest in the Autism cause/Vaccine debate. It's anything but a passing interest...and this person's a blithering idiot with a soapbox to 'blither' from now, by the sound of it. We'll see if it's used as that or not.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
While I'm not a fan of the show, or even a celeb watcher, I say good for her and to hell with the people who are calling for the boycott.
Someone with status comes out and speaks against the current policy, of course there is going to be uproar. Because someone might actually listen and decide to look into it for themselves. Can't have that.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I absolutely can't stand 'The View' and won't be watching anyways. But I just find it interesting that so many people are against McCarthy being on the show because she's against vaccines ... but they had no problem with Rosie O'Donnell being on who was a 911 'truther' and they have no problem with the rants of Joh Behar and Whoopie Goldberg. At least McCarthy will get people talking about the autism issue ....

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Curious.

Has the rate of autism dropped since Thiomersal was stopped being used in the MMR vaccinations?

Jenny Mcarthy will fit right in with the other air headed broads on that show.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   
There is also a possibility her son doesn't have autism at all.

I'm of the camp that autism isn't necessarily on the rise. It is more easily diagnosed than it used to be because the spectrum is so large.

Last I heard it is caused from the mother having the flu while pregnant. (More bull imo)

I think it will be a few more years before they start to really track down a cause for autism.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   

(grin) You never asked me my opinion about Rosie, Whoopi or Joy.

Seeing as how this is a family friendly site and all...that's probably just as well on 2 of those 3 in terms of what opinion I'd have to offer. Whoopi, I'm mixed on, only because I've really enjoyed her as an actress in a number of movies...so I try to block out what a political toad she's become at times.
edit on 18-7-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I was vaccinated against polio when I was a child and I was hospitalized immediately afterward. I lost most of my hearing. My mother believes it was the vaccine that caused it but there's no proof.

There are instances where the flu vaccine has caused Guillain-Barre sydrome, although there's no proof of that, either.

I do not believe in vaccines, so much so that I don't even vaccinate my cats (they are indoor cats)

Good for Jenny McCarthy speaking out against vaccines. It takes courage to go against the stream and hold firmly your beliefs.

***I agree that she won't last on the show, only because she's too smart for them.
edit on 18-7-2013 by texasgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaHawk
Has the rate of autism dropped since Thiomersal was stopped being used in the MMR vaccinations?

According to McCarthy, the rate of autism has increased with the increase of the number of people getting vaccinations. I have no idea if her information is accurate or not.

The View has to be the most brain dead show on TV ..
(ignoring the entire MSNBC 'News' Show lineup .. of course. They beat everyone for 'air heads'.)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Curious.

It's hard to say the rate is increasing or not, to be honest..and just in my opinion of course.

Source: Centers for Disease Control

You have the above, which needs no explanation for the source credibility....and then just a few short years ago (Sourced to a 2009 CDC figure at the bottom) you have this on NICHCY, which is pretty much an international leading site/clearing house for information on disorders and developmental issues of Children.

How Common are ASDs?

According to the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), some form of autism affects 2 – 6 of every 1,000 children, with the most recent statistic being 1 in 110. (4) ASDs are four times more common in boys than in girls, although Rett Syndrome has only been diagnosed in girls. (5)
Source: NICHCY

So is it more sites reporting better results and better screening? Over-diagnosing? I think a combination of both, personally ...with what is likely a slow but general steady increase in numbers actually developing it.

I don't think it's as high/exponential as the above shows vs. the reporting increase but definitely more happening, nonetheless. It's nearly a second class of students in some schools around here now, as opposed to just a small 'Special Ed' class as it once was when I was in school.

* Personally, I do not believe the vaccines are the cause. Perhaps a part? A binary cause which vaccines play a side of? I just don't know..and no one else does either. Every effort I've read so far to find a causative link of any kind has failed. I think it may well come to be a combination of factors working together in what we're eating/exposed to? Some result beyond what each single factor could ever have done.... Who knows.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

* Personally, I do not believe the vaccines are the cause. Perhaps a part? A binary cause which vaccines play a side of? I just don't know..and no one else does either. Every effort I've read so far to find a causative link of any kind has failed. I think it may well come to be a combination of factors working together in what we're eating/exposed to? Some result beyond what each single factor could ever have done.... Who knows.

I think you may be right about vaccinations being only a small part of a combination of factors. The fact is, the vast majority of children who have had all the vaccinations don't get autism. Every current child in my family and extended family (including my own 11 year old daughter) has had all their childhood vaccinations - all are perfectly normal. All of my daughter's childhood friends can say the same. I don't know anyone personally who has an autistic child, and everyone I know has had their children vaccinated.

I can't say the same about food allergies, though. There are currently children in my family (not my daughter), a couple of my daughter's friends, and there is always at least one child in my daughter's class who has some sort of fatal food allergy. That's a whole lot different than it was when I was a kid. Why did my daughter escape food allergies, when those other children didn't? I don't know, but I really don't think it's any one singular thing that's causing this. It's a perfect storm of events - we just haven't figured out what it is yet.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

According to McCarthy, the rate of autism has increased with the increase of the number of people getting vaccinations. I have no idea if her information is accurate or not.

The rate of autism has increased because the diagnosis and standards for what constitutes autism have changed. My nephew was diagnosed as being autistic several years ago. Why? What was his "symptom"? He was shy. Thirty years ago, if anyone even noticed, they'd have just said that he was introverted, but today? Autism.

edit on 18-7-2013 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join