Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Virginia Attorney General wants to regulate what consenting adults do in the bedroom

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I cannot believe that in this day and age there are still peopletrying to control what consenting adults do in privacy with one another. What on earth??

When Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli II challenged a federal appeals court ruling that deemed the state’s anti-sodomy law unconstitutional, Democrats pounced, accusing the Republican of pursuing an anti-gay agenda.

Now Cuccinelli’s campaign for governor is looking to turn the tables on opponent Terry McAuliffe, casting it as an issue of protecting children from predators

Cuccinelli looks to go on offense against McAuliffe over Virginia anti-sodomy law

And people actually voted for this guy? We talk day after day about the government taxing us, spying on us, but for some reason people like this are overlooked. It should be none of the governments business what consenting adults choose to do in the bed, it's a no brainer, this is a real question of personal liberty and privacy. Cuccinelli claims he is doing this to protect children from child predators which is really beyond me as to how and why. It's beyond me.
edit on 18/7/13 by JAK because: Link correction

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Wow

We are becoming as bad as the Taliban. Is this guy for real. How is this law going tobe enforced? Do they think we are children?

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

Then obviously he won't argue with having a camera mounted in his bedroom so his activities can be monitored to make sure he commits no crimes. Minority Report? Funny how politicians are so often caught in the crimes they proclaim are so awful in society... as long as it isn't the Society of Politicians!

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Link isn't displaying article.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I expect if such laws can be passed then bedrooms will ultimately be required to have an open-room policy so law enforcement can make sure people are keeping in compliance. Don' t worry about the Peeping Tom outside your window, that's just your friendly neighborhood watch Man-in-Blue keeping your children safe.

edit on 18-7-2013 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Tiger5

Yes. They do.

We are children, who need to be protected from our selves.

Nanny state. Big Brother. Call it what you will. They already attempt to regulate thought and actions elsewhere, why should the home/bedroom be any different?

We're children.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   

No problem, just place a computer in your bedroom and call it your home office. They said nothing about sodomy in your home office...

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Before some blowhard attacks me well let me state that personally I do not like the idea of sodomy. However I support the right of consenting adults to do what they want to and to have their private life as they see fit.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Welcome to the American Sharia law. People look across the pond and see only the bad other countries do, when in fact many of the same laws are pushed here by our super conservatives and the fanatical religious who have infiltrated the political system.

No, we're not cutting off hands or stoning people, but are we really that far off. We imprison people for minor offenses, regulate what people can drink and eat in this 'free country', the law enforcement is running rampant killing innocents with no repercussions, etc...

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   
edit on 18-7-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   
So, the government is going to try to tell consenting couples what they can and cannot do in the bedroom? Again? A simple google search yields returns showing that 30-40% of women are in to anal sex (hint: google "what percentage of women enjoy anal sex?") What's next for the women in to that, missionary only, no fellatio? Where does the micro-managing end? And puh-freakin'-lease, this has little do to with protecting kids from pedos, or controlling teh gayz. It's all about controlling everyone in one swoop under the guise of moral superiority.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

TMI, really...

Of course, it's about control. That's what measures such as this are always about...control.

The "protection" phraseology is just frosting to cover the crap.

Preaching to the choir, I know... Just agreein' is all.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Couple this with the "save the children" anti-abortion rhetoric and it kinda makes you wonder if conservatives really do want smaller government?

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Without taking a position for or against the law, the Attorney General's job is to defend the laws of the State when challenged.

The legislature passed it, the Governor signed it. The AG's duty is to defend it. Attack someone else.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Except Cucinelli is no longer the Attorney General. So what justification does he have to make this part of his campaign for governor other than bigotry?

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Republicans want to regulate your bedroom activity and your bodies, but they don't want to regulate corporations, who they consider people.

I still have a really hard time figuring out why you would vote Republican if you are

1) Sane
2) Gay
3) An ethnic minority
4) A woman
5) A student
6) A Senior
7) A Muslim
8) Not Christian
9) Making less than $1 million a year
10) Sick
11) On any sort of Government assistance (apart from corporate welfare)
12) A believer of FACTS

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Some people want to go back in time to when such laws were common. I have no idea why anyone gives a crap to be honest. In 1778 Jefferson tried to change the Virginia Law from death to castration for men commiting sodemy. Yes in the America of our founders two consenting adults could be put to death for the type of sex they had. Up until the 1960s getting a blow job was a felony. People are always complaining about losing rights when they have no idea how easy they have it now.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nyiah
So, the government is going to try to tell consenting couples what they can and cannot do in the bedroom? Again? A simple google search yields returns showing that 30-40% of women are in to anal sex (hint: google "what percentage of women enjoy anal sex?") What's next for the women in to that, missionary only, no fellatio? Where does the micro-managing end? And puh-freakin'-lease, this has little do to with protecting kids from pedos, or controlling teh gayz. It's all about controlling everyone in one swoop under the guise of moral superiority.

According to Cuccinelli, fellatio was included!!

Sodomy On June 25, 2013. Cuccinelli filed an appeal with the United States Supreme Court, asking for the Court to uphold Virginia's anti-sodomy law, which was struck down in March 2013 by the U.S. Court of Appeals. The law had broadly made both oral and anal sex Class 6 felonies.[87] In the past, Cuccinelli blocked legislation which would have made the law apply to only minors and rapists, saying that he objected to oral and anal sex on principle.
Ken Cuccinelli

I wonder what his view on Cunnilingus is and if it also is included. If it is, you know he'd lose the female voters!

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Dear Xcalibur254,

After reading the article I had an entirely different view from what was being presented here. First, Cucinelli was attacked, and the attacks on the issue are continuing, even though he did what the job required.

When Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli II challenged a federal appeals court ruling that deemed the state’s anti-sodomy law unconstitutional, Democrats pounced, accusing the Republican of pursuing an anti-gay agenda.

McAuliffe spokesman Josh Schwerin said the sodomy case was another example of Cuccinelli’s “extreme agenda and uncompromising approach.”

Now Cuccinelli’s campaign for governor is looking to turn the tables on opponent Terry McAuliffe, casting it as an issue of protecting children from predators and pushing the Democratic gubernatorial nominee to take a side.
All he's doing is asking the Democrat to take a side??
What's the problem?

Rusty McGuire, the Louisa County commonwealth’s attorney, said in an interview Tuesday that he participated in a May conference call with McAuliffe and several other commonwealth’s attorneys in which McAuliffe was asked about his position on the anti-sodomy law.

“He said, ‘I don’t know anything about that. . . . I’ll get back to you tomorrow,’ ” recalled McGuire, a Republican who is backing Cuccinelli in the governor’s race. “Crickets is all I’ve heard since then.”

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Hopefully it's just his way of going down in flames as both he and the VA Governor are a few clicks away from Grand Juries and indictments - the kind of corruption they are accused of shows an appalling disregard for ethics.
edit on 7/18/2013 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join