It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dissecting Macklemore's "Same Love" Song

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
While I'm driving I only listen to one local radio station here in the Northwest and they probably play this song once an hour at least, just recently twice in less then half an hour which prompted me to make this thread. Maybe England and Wales ok'ing same sex marriage today had something to do with it too

If you don't know Macklemore he struck it big into the scene with his trendy hit "Thrift Shop". He's from Seattle and has openly talked about his past battles with drug and alcohol addiction. (He claims to be sober since 2008).

Your probably thinking alright whats the conspiracy here they pound every top40 song into your head daily if it's popular whats so different about this song? For starters this isn't a new song as it was released Oct 2012 so the radio stations have chosen to have this song manipulated into our brains. This is also one of the first songs I've noticed Radio stations that aren't satellite and have censorship have played that is controversial and debatable. Lets take a look at a few of the lyrics though.

When I was in the 3rd grade I thought that I was gay Cause I could draw

8 years old and thoughts of homosexuality? Wonder what type of environment would make a kid think this.

The right-wing conservatives think it's a decision And you can be cured with some treatment and religion
Man-made, rewiring of a pre-disposition, playing God

Any reasonable person that disagrees with same sex marriage doesn't want to change the person themself, (unless your from Westboro Church). They just want their ("unnatural") sexual preference to not affect them or their families in anyway.

"God loves all his children" is somehow forgotten But we paraphrase a book written thirty-five hundred years ago

He is just contradicting himself with the line above

No freedom til we're equal Damn right I support it

His opinion that's fine. [e·qual - Be the same as in number or amount.] What's equal mean when 95% of the population isn't LGBT?

I'm not going to deny the song isn't catchy and my goal here isn't to add fuel to an already opinionated topic but this song clearly isn't just another tune on the radio.

Alex on Monday made what I'm trying to get through a little clearer also. [3:15-3:38] [4:45- 6:30]
youtu.be...
edit on 17-7-2013 by cass1dy09 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by cass1dy09

From what I understand, he has an uncle who is gay, which could be a reason he had "gay thoughts" when he was young. By the way, he isn't gay, he just supports gay marriage.

People who think someone's sexual preference will somehow affect their family or relationship are ignorant, and if their sexuality does affect those things, it is their fault not the gay person's.

If they don't want it to affect their family then they should just accept it and move on, it's as simple as that. The only thing that would adversely affect anything is someone's bigotry over gay people being different from them.

I actually like this song and I think it has a GREAT message behind it. We should all have the same rights, no matter our skin color, religious upbringing, or sexuality. We are all humans and none of us are perfect.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Stop listening to the KUBE.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Once again we have the progressive filth using propaganda to sway the youth of today. That's what this really is about. They want the kids to grow up weak and progressive.

I am by no means anti-gay I feel the heart wants what the heart wants. But these scum bags pushing this agenda on the youth of today makes me want to vomit. Progressive filth always know what is best for you and your kids and if you let them inside your house you are asking for trouble. It will become clear when your 30 year old is still playing video games in the basement.

edit on 17-7-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-7-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Never said he was gay, feel you're still looking at the small picture of things as Alex points out the global effect it has not just for a family. But hey if Obama and Hillary can fully change their opinions I'm sure we all can.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
You don't actually think a single catchy song is going to turn anyone gay do any of you?

Besides, read the entire first verse

When I was in the third grade I thought that I was gay,
'Cause I could draw, my uncle was, and I kept my room straight.
I told my mom, tears rushing down my face
She's like "Ben you've loved girls since before pre-k, trippin' "
Yeah, I guess she had a point, didn't she?
Bunch of stereotypes all in my head.
I remember doing the math like, "Yeah, I'm good at little league"
A preconceived idea of what it all meant
For those that liked the same sex

Full Lyrics

It's a story of how he though he might be gay, he thinks he might be gay because of some stereotypes of gay behaviour that have been taught to him and from his exposure to his gay uncle. His mother reminds him that this is nonsense and that he obviously likes girls.

It's just an artful way of one person putting their opinion across and this opinion has more than a little truth to it.

If the radios are thrashing it, then yes maybe it is some agenda, but I highly doubt it is sinister. Anyone remember the brief and god awful come back of all those horrible old Michael Jackson songs after he died?

They went away (thank heavens) and this song will too.
edit on 17-7-2013 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   

I never said you said he was gay.
I was just clarifying for those who would jump to that conclusion.

What are the affects? I don't see how messages of acceptance and equal rights can affect the world in any negative way personally.

If we plan to move on as a species, we have to be accepting of who we and others are. If we don't move past it and keep arguing over it, we'll never move forward. There will always be gay people, so if non-acceptance continues, we will never move forward.

Two gay people getting married affects no one, I repeat NO ONE, outside of that marriage. If it does, it is not the fault of the married couple, but of others bigotry.
edit on 17-7-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Having children, perhaps ironically, isn't the primary purpose of sex. You should read The Red Queen by Matt Ridley to learn why sex even exists, as it is a terrible means of producing offspring. With that being said, one purpose of sex is bonding. The argument that gay sex is unnatural is inherently flawed.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

As opposed to bigoted and ignorant? Sorry for trying to make the world a friendlier, safer place for people who stray from the mainstream image of what's acceptable.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   
It is a good song

It lets us all know that we humans are all different & why the hell should we belittle people who have a different sexual orientation to us.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   

His opinion that's fine. [e·qual - Be the same as in number or amount.] What's equal mean when 95% of the population isn't LGBT?

100% of us are human. Get over it. Religion is a #ing disease.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

Sex is a terrible means of producing offspring?
You don't need to have sex to bond. Ill take Alex Jones one male fox one female fox and they mate rant then your suggestion of lust.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

If you're gonna throw stones you know what's an actually disease? Aids. Which 2/3 of the American population who has carries it, are gay.
edit on 18-7-2013 by cass1dy09 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: cass1dy09
While I'm driving I only listen to one local radio station here in the Northwest and they probably play this song once an hour at least, just recently twice in less then half an hour which prompted me to make this thread. Maybe England and Wales ok'ing same sex marriage today had something to do with it too

If you don't know Macklemore he struck it big into the scene with his trendy hit "Thrift Shop". He's from Seattle and has openly talked about his past battles with drug and alcohol addiction. (He claims to be sober since 2008).

Your probably thinking alright whats the conspiracy here they pound every top40 song into your head daily if it's popular whats so different about this song? For starters this isn't a new song as it was released Oct 2012 so the radio stations have chosen to have this song manipulated into our brains. This is also one of the first songs I've noticed Radio stations that aren't satellite and have censorship have played that is controversial and debatable. Lets take a look at a few of the lyrics though.

When I was in the 3rd grade I thought that I was gay Cause I could draw

8 years old and thoughts of homosexuality? Wonder what type of environment would make a kid think this.

The right-wing conservatives think it's a decision And you can be cured with some treatment and religion
Man-made, rewiring of a pre-disposition, playing God

Any reasonable person that disagrees with same sex marriage doesn't want to change the person themself, (unless your from Westboro Church). They just want their ("unnatural") sexual preference to not affect them or their families in anyway.

"God loves all his children" is somehow forgotten But we paraphrase a book written thirty-five hundred years ago

I'm not going to deny the song isn't catchy and my goal here isn't to add fuel to an already opinionated topic but this song clearly isn't just another tune on the radio.

Alex on Monday made what I'm trying to get through a little clearer also. [3:15-3:38] [4:45- 6:30]
youtu.be...

I'm going to start off by saying I LOVE THIS SONG!!!!!![color]

Now to address the things you brought up.
1. Yes you can be 8yrs old & wondering if you are a homosexual. There are many who knew they were gay from when they were a child. When I told my Mom I was bi sexual she said "I knew it!!" when she saw a puzzled look on my face she continued "Of all my children (3 of us, all girls) I knew you'd be the gay one. There was just something about you & I knew you were gay"
This artist has a homosexual uncle so the topic probably wasn't foreign to him at a young age. Besides, with the media in this day & age, it's kind of hard for young kids to not know about this topic.

Any reasonable person that disagrees with same sex marriage doesn't want to change the person themself, (unless your from Westboro Church). They just want their ("unnatural") sexual preference to not affect them or their families in anyway
Unfortunately there is more than just Westboro people who want to change homosexuals. There are a lot of people who wish that homosexuals didn't exist & not just because they are afraid that a NATURAL (not "unnatural") sexual preference will effect them & their families. The notion that someone's sexual preference (which all of them are natural, even the people who love objects) has any effect on someone's family is b.s. If anything it could make their kids be more tolerating of other people & god forbid that happens, "won't somebody please think of the children"

He is saying that for people who worship the bible, they forget about the most important message, LOVE THY NEIGHBOR. It's not "love thy neighbor, so long as he's the exact same as you, color & sexual preference) As someone who worships the bible, it should be word for word, not whatever section floats your boat.

Because 5% of the population is LGBT *roll eyes* try a higher number. By this logic, because 100% of the population isn't Caucasian than there should be no equality for any other race. If you are any other race, too bad, equality isn't for you....oh wait, we already went through this in our history. They say "History keeps repeating itself" & the inequality of a minority is happening again, this time it's not because of color but because of sexual preference.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: cass1dy09

Any reasonable person that disagrees with same sex marriage doesn't want to change the person themself, (unless your from Westboro Church). They just want their ("unnatural") sexual preference to not affect them or their families in anyway. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

And it doesn't effect them, unless they allow it to.

Simple.

The only reason to be against same sex marriage is prejudice and hypocrisy. There's no actual proof that anything goes bad when you let two people of the same sex marry.

This song, is just part of the new wave of pro gay stuff hitting our society. It's a force that won't go away because it's insane that it took all of this to get to this point.

~Tenth
edit on 5/30/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth

Once again we have the progressive filth using propaganda to sway the youth of today. That's what this really is about. They want the kids to grow up weak and progressive.

I am by no means anti-gay I feel the heart wants what the heart wants. But these scum bags pushing this agenda on the youth of today makes me want to vomit. Progressive filth always know what is best for you and your kids and if you let them inside your house you are asking for trouble. It will become clear when your 30 year old is still playing video games in the basement.

OMG stop the children from being tolerant!!!! The world is going to come to an end if children stop hating minorities & start accepting all humans as all humans!!!!!!!!

Kids who are tolerant & show no hate for a fellow man, is not making them weak & progressive. Kids who kick other kids asses for hating on homosexuals does not make them weak.

Who are these scum bags you speak of? The LGBT community? Those who support the LGBT community & want the LGBT community to be equal human beings, because they are human beings?? The only scum bags are those who have a problem with LGBT & don't want LGBT to have the same HUMAN rights as every other HUMAN.

If you let your child listen to this song, they will for sure still be living at home when they are 30. If you let your child be open minded & tolerant then all you are doing is encouraging your child to live at home. *facepalm*

You're ignorance & hate is depressing. I'd be more worried about the kinds of people your children are going to grow up to be, hateful, intolerant ass holes, than a child growing up in an environment filled with love, acceptance & toleration.
Children of hateful, intolerant people are going to be a problem, not children who are accepting, tolerate others & listening to this music

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth

... It will become clear when your 30 year old is still playing video games in the basement.

What the hell is wrong with that, he's going to inherit the house anyway are you delusional? Why should I work like a slave
my whole life to buy and own a house when I've had one my whole life, my Dads house. My sister and step-brother have their own houses and I could care less, what is with people and their imaginary bar.

new topics

top topics

active topics

join