It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Northern lights.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Is it me are can anyone else in North Yorks see the Northern lights?

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Not me mate

I'm in west yorkshire and the sky is clear.

get ya camera out and photograph what you see.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Yup, I saw them. My dad woke me at midnight to see them. I was excited because I love astronomy, and the only other one I saw was weak and very faint. They were so huge, beautiful, and powerful! They rarely are large enough to appear in the southern sky from Wisconsin.

Sorry, no pics, but one great memory.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
We were supposed to see them here in Ireland last night. I completely forgot!

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
lol same sere atomix, dam hash

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
They were visible as far south as Northern VA where the city lights didn't obscure the view.

We just about NEVER get that down here unless solar activity is extremely high.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
They only lasted about 20mins 7.40-800pm.
There just seems to be a light blue cloud there now, but before it was all bands of blue light in vertical stripes in an arc.
I've been watching on and off but nothing much happening.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I live in Kitchener about 1 hour south of Toronto, Ontario... Canada. The northern lights were visable for at least 2 1/2 hours and were very brilliant. I have only seen them once before and they were not nearly as visible.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I'll try to see them tonight. Try to get some pictures though. I live in MA so I don't know if I will see them. Worth a shot I guess.

E_T

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Check out Costello!
sec.noaa.gov...
That's good general indicator.

There was hole in clouds last night and miraculously I happened to be awake at the right time.
There wasn't much activity, aurora oval was just in southern sky instead of northern sky.

Taken directly to south:

This one is in SW-W:

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 02:21 AM
link   
E_T

You took those?
NICE!

I see Orion Lurking there in the first shot..
Thanks for sharing..

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Cool pictures E_T.

I saw them in eastern Washington state on the morning of the 8th, they were amazing, even as dim as they were (here).

Nothing tonight though, pretty thick cloud cover and fog at the moment.

E_T

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
You took those?
I see Orion Lurking there in the first shot..

Yeah, last night around 23 to 23.30 UTC...
Until Murphy decided to join the play and wiring of external "batterypack" broke. I use sealed lead acid batteries for powering digicam in cold because NiMHs "freeze" completely in couple minutes.
(and price of them is about 10% of maker's own batterypacks)

Actually there's often dim auroras in northern sky which spoil visibility of DS objects.

But that's just because Finland is as north as Alaska.

BTW, can you recognise one DS-object?

Auroras should still continue, there was M8 flare on 9th and X2 flare on 10th and at least one CME is heading toward us.
I would say that best times to try to see them is around 9pm to 10pm, around midnight and couple hours later.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 05:10 AM
link   
i looked out last night about 10 pm and i seen some really cool finger green northern lights.it was really cool.....

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Thanks for the photos, that is beautiful!!!!!

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   
does anyone know if there is going to be any activity in England tonight.we had a mild flare a couple of years ago,but not as good as the one i was about 15yrs ago,although it was cloudy the colours still showed through them.it was the first time i had "saw" them,and i was in awe!

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I dont know if you'll see much tonight. But check this out. The auroral map gives a pretty good indication of whether you should be able to see anything. You just have to squint your head to the side to see the UK.

I had to drive for about an hour last night to get clear of the city lights (Im in Glasgow) and by that time it had really clouded over. But in the breaks of the clouds you could see the aurora although it wasnt colourful but white-ish blue.

Hope you have better luck in seeing them than I did and will do tonight (after a wonderfully clear day, its once again turned cloudy!
)

new topics

top topics

join