It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chrome for Android beta’s update indicates plug-in free video is coming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
arstechnica.com...

Google yesterday pushed forward a significant update for Chrome for Android beta that will bring video chatting capabilities without the need for a plug-in or extraneous application.

Developers will be able to create real-time communications applications with the WebRTC API, which Google says:

…consist of three independent components: getUserMedia, which provides access to the user’s webcam and microphone; PeerConnection, which sets up calls with the ability to traverse NATs and firewalls; and DataChannels, which establishes peer-to-peer data communication between browsers.

These three features have been enabled in desktop Chrome for a while, and [yesterday’s] release adds support in Chrome for Android.”

this gives people the ability to "embed" a video streaming "window" in a web page that is accessible via the web browser.

considering the number of devices that have web browsers, this could quickly become the easiest way to initiate a video call, and would require no "set up" by the user, except to accept or decline use of peripherals like camera or mic.

it runs over the HTTPS "secure" connection type and is free to use with some back end implementation, that makes the initial connection possible, then the connection is "peer to peer" or encrypted "end to end" so that you can have some privacy

i imagine i could "call my friends from my computer" and they could "call my computer" from their phone browser.

it has the potential to change the way we communicate

xploder

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

S+F

As i am trying to make my first android app this is great news. I will keep my eye on this and hope to use it one day as it sounds cool.

Plug in free baby

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

HTML 5

It's gonna be real interesting in a few years.

join