It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery as 300 stingrays are found washed up on a Mexican beach

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
New Case of sea creatures washing up

The article suggest they where caught in the nets of a fisher boat and because the aren't proffitble got relased. They did show cuts.
It was in the region Gulf coast state of Veracruz.

According to Bob Rubin, one of the world's leading expert on Rays of Santa Rosa Junior College in California, the mass stranding could have been caused by large underwater noises or electrical signals which may have caused some state of disorientation
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Somehow I still believe the methane levels are rising rapidly. Or something is happening down there. Many to follow.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

The last time we saw sea creatures start washing up in huge numbers underwater volcanoes started going off near the Indonesian side of the Ring of Fire. I know of no underwater volcanoes on the Gulf side of Mexico, so I'm wondering if the stingrays might have wandered into the "red tide" dead zone and the currents washed them up on the beach at Veracruz. Just a guess.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
It might, this is the part where I would love to here the opinion of a more veteran sort of ATS member. You know someone who knows geo-stuff.

Like TA or Puterman

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
those are mantarays not stingrays.. stingrays have barbed tails..

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by starfoxxx

Go starfoxx...go starfoxx...... go, go go!
(Does white girl version of the "Cabbage Patch")

Correction.....Manta Rays!

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

Apparently they were dumped there by fishermen who couldn't sell them.

Ursulo Galvan Mayor Martin Verdejo says witnesses told authorities fishermen dumped the stingrays on the beach because they weren't able to get a good price for them. Food vendor Adriana Loredo says she was at the beach when she saw fishermen dumping the rays from their nets.
www.huffingtonpost.com...

What a waste!

edit on 17-7-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by starfoxxx

Marine biology Smarty pants!

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Man, that is so sad. I hurts my heart to see people have such low regard for the creatures of the earth.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Whats the mystery? It's call the Deep water Horizon! Thanks BP you friggin douche bags!

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Just think this is terrible!!! I'm ok with fishermen & eating seafood, but maybe checking the market & pricing for your catch before you go and kill all these beautiful creatures. I hope the Mexican authorities have some type of action to take against them if it is proved they did this.
I think that these rays are actually stingrays a type of Eagle Ray called a Cownose Ray. They do swim in large schools in the Gulf of Mexico. myfwc.com...

ocean.nationalgeographic.com...#/rays07-cow-nose-ray_17863_600x450.jpg

Happier Times

Like the Dad says in this video - "Once in a Lifetime"

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekingDepth

From my experience in Mexico, the people have little regard for animals. All you need to do is drive the streets of Baja to see their neglect of dogs and cats.

Don't get mad at me. It is an observation. I am sure there are animal lovers but from my personal experience they have little regard for the creatures that we should be protecting.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

I would think that this is a story to pacify the public.

I believe that what ever chemical they used to clean the oil spill in the Gulf managed to make the sea life a bit inhabitable. I believe their are lawsuits from the fisherman because their lively hood had been decimated. If they are in such dire straits I would think that they would choose to keep them; legal or not. No rules Mexico!

Another note worthy thought is that the storm that hovered over the gulf and the southeast during the July 4th holiday could very well have stirred up a great death concoction for them since they are usually found rising in the sea floor. Subjected to the chemicals by direct contact.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrantedBail
reply to post by SeekingDepth

From my experience in Mexico, the people have little regard for animals. All you need to do is drive the streets of Baja to see their neglect of dogs and cats.

Don't get mad at me. It is an observation. I am sure there are animal lovers but from my personal experience they have little regard for the creatures that we should be protecting.

We just have better animal control facilities, visit a few and you'll see the little regard for animals is the same, we just pick them up and hide them.

Either way, if it really was fishermen that dumped them, they should find them and issue hefty penalties or suspend their licenses.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I'm sure a bunch of decomposing rays on a beach is kind of a health hazard too, so yes, fines should be assessed here, at least. Why couldn't the fishermen sell them for Bay Scallops?

In the Caymans, there are excursions where you can swim with a bunch of rays, even have them massage you, etc. It's a pretty cool commune with nature experience I'd highly recommend if you ever get the chance. Pretty amazing experience.

top topics

join