It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School meal kills at least 22 children in India's Bihar state

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spider879
And someone thought this was a good idea to use on crops?? .is it a fact that without pesticides the world would face food shortages or is it more likely that efforts to use natural pesticides takes more time and money ..I am not a farmer but one explained to me that he used alternate plants that a bug doesn't like beside his money crops and he does just fine, perhaps a lil O.T but according to the law?? secretly signed by president Obama if this was done by Monsanto we would have no right to sue and they can't go to jail.

The vast majority of farming in India is indeed still done with traditional methods, basic cow and plow style.

Even with traditional aka primitive methods, India usually produces a large food surplus. They also waste more food than anywhere else on the planet because of a lack of refrigeration and modern storage facilities. Consequently they have the largest and most well fed rat population on the planet and plague is still a problem.

India has lagged all comparable countries in adopting modern facilities. They produce a surplus with traditional methods. The rural communities lean heavily on subsistence and market farming so the adoption of modern methods is being avoided because it would deprive many of their sole means of earning money.

Perhaps the children died because some farmer new to the use of pesticides didn't understand their proper usage. Or, as India mostly lacks facilities for post-harvest food processing, it's also possible that this food came more or less straight from the farmer's field to the school. Anywhere that had such facilities, it would have been adequately washed.
edit on 17-7-2013 by 11andrew34 because: grammer fix

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by 11andrew34

However, it's also very possible that this happened because of corruption. The corruption would work like so: the school administrator is allocated government money to buy food. Then instead of spending all of the money on the highest quality food the allocated money can buy, they instead buy the cheapest food they can find and pocket the remaining money from the government.

That happens more than you think. It's called embezzling and if the administrator ran than more than likely he is guilty as charged.

I really have a hard time not wanting to wrap my hands around the throat of someone who does something for their own greed or stupidity, that gets innocent people killed, and choking the life out of them.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11andrew34

Perhaps the children died because some farmer new to the use of pesticides didn't understand their proper usage. Or, as India mostly lacks facilities for post-harvest food processing, it's also possible that this food came more or less straight from the farmer's field to the school. Anywhere that had such facilities, it would have been adequately washed.

It would be very interesting to find where this oil came from. The original article only states;

She drew it to the attention of the teacher - who was in charge of the Mid-Day Meal Scheme at the school and had been transferred there recently - who said the "oil was home-made and safe to use".

The minister said the oil had been bought from the grocery store run by this teacher's husband.

Mr Shahi said the grocery store owner and other men in his family had fled.

I begin to wonder if this 'home made' oil was actually from cheap rubbish they imported from China. China has massive problems with food quality, India on the other hand does not seem to for the most part.

For instance this article just came out about China food safety;

17 July 2013 Last updated at 09:14 GMT Help
In 2008 six infants died and 300,000 babies suffered with painful kidney stones after drinking tainted milk powder in China.

Five years on, sales of home food safety tests are soaring in the country.

Some people go so far as importing their food to alleviate concerns over safety.

Source

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I watched a Doco on this feeding program a few years back, it is such a tragedy these poor families have lost their kids. The meal programme is classed as one of the worlds most successful social welfare programs, basically the kids get fed if they go to school, and it is the only way many kids get to eat in a given day. So it provides them with education and nourishment at the same time.

Something went very very wrong, those poor little kids, so sad.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Just been catching up with this story and Reuters have covered it fairly well with some new information :

"In spite of the cook's complaint (over the smell of cooking oil used for the food), the headmistress insisted on its use and the cook made the food. The children had also complained about the food to the cook,"

The focus of the investigation is on the oil used in the preparation of the meal. Doctors treating the children said they suspected the food had been contaminated with insecticide.

Media reports said the oil may have been stored in an old pesticide container.

uk.reuters.com...

The headmistress of that school sure has a lot of explaining to do when the police finally catch up with her... If they catch up with her and she isn't lynched first!

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 18-7-2013 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   
This is truly heartbreaking, children trying to eat only to perish, soooo wrong on soooo many levels.
I have a 3 month old daughter, I always make sure she eats and is well fed....My mind would break if something happened to her much like these children.
Watching her eat, her little chubby cheeks and cute facial expressions...I for one am all about children eating. This is a heartbreaking tale and sooooo terrible seeing as these kinds of things happen throughout life and currently in this world.
Children shouldn't die for any reason, pure and innocent they are.....

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Even a poor hygiene school doesn't just get phosphate poisoning all at once from administration or parents, if those kids are their jobs and their revenue. I think it was sabotage, and here are some hypotheticals:

The one parent that tries to kill their kid, or someone else's, but they don't want to get caught so they hurt them all.

The member of a dangerous religious cult that wants sacrifices. You can't tell me those types don't exist in India.

The administration competition that wants to run out the current administration, for work.

Then it goes into industry hypotheticals:

The farming industry that brought the poison had an oversight.

The experiment with new food that went wrong.

A vegetable oil competitor company wanted to get school customers.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Yet India still receives billions in aid from the world, has a space program, 3 aircraft carriers, an ever increasing air force, Army, Navy..

And can't even tackle poverty, feed the poor and sort out its terrible infrastructure,

India is trying to walk before it can crawl

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rodinus
Just been catching up with this story and Reuters have covered it fairly well with some new information :

"In spite of the cook's complaint (over the smell of cooking oil used for the food), the headmistress insisted on its use and the cook made the food. The children had also complained about the food to the cook,"

The focus of the investigation is on the oil used in the preparation of the meal. Doctors treating the children said they suspected the food had been contaminated with insecticide.

Media reports said the oil may have been stored in an old pesticide container.

uk.reuters.com...

The headmistress of that school sure has a lot of explaining to do when the police finally catch up with her... If they catch up with her and she isn't lynched first!
Thanks for the interesting information. There does seem to be a lot of confusion. The original story cited organo-phosphate as an insecticide that was used on rice and wheat crops, but another source says the local villagers determined that the kids who ate those dishes didn't get sick, it was the kids who ate the side dish of soybeans and potatoes that got sick. Maybe they used contaminated oil to cool that dish?

www.usatoday.com...

Sahi said a preliminary investigation suggested the food contained an organophosphate used as an insecticide on rice and wheat crops. It's believed the grain was not washed before it was served at the school, he said.

However, local villagers said the problem appeared to be with a side dish of soybeans and potatoes, not grain. Children who had not eaten that dish were fine, although they had eaten the rice and lentils, several villagers told the AP.
You have to wonder what the headmistress was thinking when she said to go ahead and use bad-smelling oil. No wonder she's on the run.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Does it give any detail as to what killed the children?

Like, why the food was tainted? What was wrong with it in particular?

I hope some kind of reaction fixes this problem... poor kids.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Warrant issued for the school's Principal:

www.abc.net.au...

Police in India have issued an arrest warrant for the principal of the school where 23 children died after eating meals containing a toxic pesticide.

Tests on the cooking oil used to prepare the meals found it contained high levels of the poisonous chemical.

Investigators say the school's principal, Meena Devi, may have forced the cook to use contaminated cooking oil despite her protesting that it smelled bad.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join