It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School meal kills at least 22 children in India's Bihar state

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   

School meal kills at least 22 children in India's Bihar state

www.bbc.co.uk

At least 22 children have died and dozens more have fallen ill after eating lunch at a school in the eastern Indian state of Bihar.

The poisoning occurred in the village of Dharmasati Gandaman, 80km (50 miles) north of the state capital, Patna.

The free Mid-Day Meal Scheme aims to tackle hunger and boost attendance in schools, but suffers from poor hygiene.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bbc.co.uk
www.bbc.co.uk

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Real tradgedy here from India, with 22 kids taken away from the world in a single incident.

I've posted this to highlight that there are other tragedies in the world at the moment as the board seems to be obsessed with the Zimmerman case and the continuing media hype over it - the rest of the world is still out here and people are dying.

These poor kids never stood a chance - it seems that the oil their food was cooked in was contaminated - and the tragedy is doubled even more as the food they ate was part of a plan to improve nourishment in schools by the Indian government as malnutrition rates for children in the country are so high

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
The irony here is heart-throbbing. There's bound to be massive fallout from this, as far as the India board of education and affiliated food companies are concerned. If there isn't...I will be massively disappointed. I really hope those children didn't die in vain.
edit on 17-7-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

I've posted this to highlight that there are other tragedies in the world at the moment as the board seems to be obsessed with the Zimmerman case and the continuing media hype over it - the rest of the world is still out here and people are dying.

I absolutely have to agree with this 22 children who died in India, or anyplace else in the world, hell even in this country will never get the same attention as the media circus that is presently going on in America.

It is truly saddening anytime a child is lost let alone 22 of them.
edit on 17-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Saddening news which deserves to be highlighted amonst the current frenzy of posts at the moment...

Phosporous poisoning?

I really hope that this was not deliberate?

Thank you for reminding ATS

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

It is always hard to comprehend that fact that so many people struggle for the daily necessities of life. This nutritional initiative done by that city should be applauded as an attempt to bring awareness to the issue and to attempt to quell hunger as best they can.

I certainly hope this was a dreadful accident and not the result of funding cuts, incompetence or apathy.

I am not sure what else can be said about a tragedy involving so many children. This reminds me of Sandy Hook and how utterly speechless many of us where.

I hope, unlike Sandy Hook, that this situation will be clearly resolved and those responsible clearly identified and punished, if necessary.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Here is a link to the actual document concerning: SOCIAL WELFARE AND NUTRITIOUS
MEAL PROGRAMME

LINK - PDF

SOCIAL WELFARE AND NUTRITIOUS
MEAL PROGRAMME DEPARTMENT,
SECRETARIAT, CHENNAI. 600 009

National Programme
of
Mid Day Meal in Schools
(MDMS)
Annual Work Plan & Budget
-

I think this section may need to be reviewed:

2.22. Steps taken to strengthen the Monitoring Mechanism, the Block,
District and State level and Status of constitution of SMC at these levels.
Staus of formation of on School Management Comm
ittee at Villages /
School / Cooking agency level in the light of Right to Information Act 2009.
Monitoring Committees have been constituted at the Village, Block,
District and State level to monitor the supply of cooked mid day meal to the
children, quality of foodgrains supplied, and the functioning of the nutritious meal 44 centres. Also
the observations and shortcomings reported by the inspecting
officials are also noted and suitable actions are taken. Many issues noticed and
pointed out are addressed
then and there in the district and also at the state level.

It seems a lot of the liability and responsibility is placed onto local level leaders.

edit on 17-7-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

When you go to the bathroom in the same water you drink from and throw the garbage out your front door on the street is it any wonder they have food contamination issues. India is filthy beyond words in many places.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Oh noes thats not good. I've had food poisoning before and it is not fun. I had a pretty "mild" case of it, but I still felt like I was dying before I got to the hospital.

It's always sad when kids are involved or harmed...

I have to agree with Nef, there are other stories in the world than just the Zimmerman/Martin case.

Sta and flagger.

-SAP-

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Its scary isn't it?

There are likely to be massive repercussions on this at a local level there. There has already been violence and I wouldn't be surprised if it spreads.

India is so modern in some respects and yet the less developed regions are almost third-world-esque. The central government needs to get a grip on the outlying districts and weed out the corruption and problems that have lead to this.

The thought that those parents sent their kids to school to better themselves only to have them come home in body bags from food poisoning is appalling.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

Its has absolutely nothing to do with what your talking about ...so please do not use this as an opportunity to generalize an entire country...... kinda pathetic

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

The central govt. is worse than your obama administration ..... scam after scams after corruption after corruption all in broad daylight ... Only good thing here is the media has gone heywire and the people are really upset....hopefully this will force a change

@Mddoz...true most of the work is done by local level leaders .... post of the political leaders on the state and central . level are garbage , thugs, criminals
edit on 17-7-2013 by maddy21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

The money wasted on wars could pay for education and projects that could stop the pollution of India. There is little understanding of pollution. Most of the garbage is simply thrown into the nearest water that is also used to drink and wash. Dead are thrown into the river change would take mostly education and not even that much money compared to the constant waste in the world.

A growing number of bodies of water in India are unfit for human use, and in the Ganges River, holy to the country’s 82 percent Hindu majority, the river dolphin population is falling so rapidly due to pollution that they were downgraded this year from vulnerable to endangered.

Much of the river pollution problem in India comes from untreated sewage. Samples taken recently from the Ganges River near Varanasi show that levels of fecal coliform, a dangerous bacterium that comes from untreated sewage, were some 3,000 percent higher than what is considered safe for bathing.

Only 55 percent of the 15 million Delhi residents are connected to the city's sewage system. The remainder flush their bath water, waste water and just about everything else down pipes and into drains -- many of them open -- that empty into the Yamuna. “We have a flush and forget mindset,” says Narain.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Its scary isn't it?

Indeed it is.

There are likely to be massive repercussions on this at a local level there. There has already been violence and I wouldn't be surprised if it spreads.

I would say most likely death, if found to be intentional or through incompetence. The situation of the gang of men raping that young women over there comes to mind. I believe the majority of the parties involved were sentenced to death, if i am not mistaken.

India is so modern in some respects and yet the less developed regions are almost third-world-esque. The central government needs to get a grip on the outlying districts and weed out the corruption and problems that have lead to this.

This is true, but I was just thinking how easy it would be for a similar thing to happen in the west. All it would take would be a slip of the hand or mixed up shipment of produce. God forbid this were ever to happen.

The thought that those parents sent their kids to school to better themselves only to have them come home in body bags from food poisoning is appalling.

I can only imagine the bitter taste if not utter disgust they will have now. Pending the results of the investigation, this may set the program back for quite some time.

We certainly seem to take for granted the concept of nutrition and health. Especially considering the fact fast food joints are on every corner.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Well if this is the result of consuming Organophosphorus Agents, it would be a horrific suffering for those
who have lived through the effects of this toxin.

Death caused by the effects of this might be considered a blessing.

Organophosphorus was originally a Nerve Agent in the early development of chemical warfare.
I can't remember if the Germans developed the Op N.A. or if the U.S did.
No matter the results are the same.

What are the long-term consequences to those little body's and minds ?

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by azureskys
Well if this is the result of consuming Organophosphorus Agents, it would be a horrific suffering for those
who have lived through the effects of this toxin.

Death caused by the effects of this might be considered a blessing.

Organophosphorus was originally a Nerve Agent in the early development of chemical warfare.
I can't remember if the Germans developed the Op N.A. or if the U.S did.
No matter the results are the same.

What are the long-term consequences to those little body's and minds ?

"Organo-phosphorus is a compound also used as a pesticide for crops. It is very dangerous. Even a small quantity of it would prove fatal for small children. Looking at the critical condition in which they were brought to the hospital, it seems like there were large quantities of poison in the food that they consumed."
www.bbc.co.uk...

And someone thought this was a good idea to use on crops?? .is it a fact that without pesticides the world would face food shortages or is it more likely that efforts to use natural pesticides takes more time and money ..I am not a farmer but one explained to me that he used alternate plants that a bug doesn't like beside his money crops and he does just fine, perhaps a lil O.T but according to the law?? secretly signed by president Obama if this was done by Monsanto we would have no right to sue and they can't go to jail.
www.pslweb.org...

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Very sad, my heart goes out to the parents.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rodinus
Saddening news which deserves to be highlighted amonst the current frenzy of posts at the moment...

Phosporous poisoning?

I really hope that this was not deliberate?

Thank you for reminding ATS

Kindest respects

Rodinus

thank you, i wondered the same about the deliberate thing
im sorry for those things happening
especially when its about potential treasures as children

[for the record to "it" - if this s about he 22, ive seen it and anulled it ]

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

The largest problem with India's hygene is twofold; cultural and overcrowding

i.e In the Ganges for example it is far from uncommon to see large amounts of people swimming in and drinking the same water where many more are washing their clothes on the bank of while dead old Auntie Prue's rotting corpse floats by along with lots of other dead relatives.

The rivers and ecosystems simply cannot cope with the scale of the pollution being put into it because there are just so many people dumping waste.

Proper sewerage treatment and a change to burial rituals i.e. cremate first and only throw ashes into the river would be a great place to start for the government of the nation.

All of the above being said, the Ganges river water has some very mysterious qualities, which I believe is a large part of the reason why it is considered so holy in India.

Sanjay Pandey, Lucknow, DH News Service:
River water could be used to develop new antibiotic
Despite being polluted, the waters of the Ganges
still possess ‘medicinal qualities’ and could pave
the way for developing new ‘anti-microbial compounds’.

Source

edit on 17-7-2013 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
So very sad.

The school administrator ran for it when this happened. It's possible that they were just afraid for their life...didn't want to get torn apart by an angry mob, that sort of thing.

However, it's also very possible that this happened because of corruption. The corruption would work like so: the school administrator is allocated government money to buy food. Then instead of spending all of the money on the highest quality food the allocated money can buy, they instead buy the cheapest food they can find and pocket the remaining money from the government.

So if that's true in this case, this time they cut too many corners, possibly even buying food which was never supposed to enter the market for human consumption, and the kids are dead because the administrator wanted to buy a Mercedes or a vacation home or something like that.

An investigation will uncover the truth in short order. The sort of scheme I'm suggesting here falls apart with minimal scrutiny and if the administrator is indeed to blame, then basic oversight would have prevented this.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join