It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Survival Kit, How did we do?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Best thing to do is to head off into the woods and see how it works...this is the time where you can say i need x but y is no use to me so i can drop that and get item z etc as 99% of any advice on a item will be from personal experience but they aint you in your exact situation so all the best advice in the world can be useless, i keep thinking of getting one of those Chinese military shovels as its about a 100 in 1 item just in itself

and if you do require medications make sure they'll be close at hand should you need to move in a hurry

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

i keep thinking of getting one of those Chinese military shovels as its about a 100 in 1 item just in itself

Did you see what the Venture 6 was?

(link is on previous page)

I'm a big fan of a multiple use items in a BOB.

For example, my crank flashlight/radio/cell phone charger

beprepared.com...

You get about one minute of phone use for every minute you crank it. If from dead though, add about 2-3 minutes cranking time initially.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by gorgon8819
I know this has been posted about a trillion times give or take a few, but I am curious about your guys and gals opinions. All of a sudden one day my Girl comes home and says " I think we should start making a survival kit" I looked up from my video game and said "I love you" So this it what we are going to order. Please feel free to add things we need, or things we don't need. Keep in mind this is for general survival. I know there are many types of survival scenarios, I guess this is a generic scenario survival kit. OH and for those on a budget, all this cost a little over $200 American Dollars.

1 USAF Pilot Survival Knife
1 Magnesium Fire Starter
1 550 Paracord 100ft in length
1 Crank Flash Light
1 (5 in 1) Survival Aid Kit
1 American G.I. Trifold Shovel
1 Metal Canteen Cup
2 Packs of Wind and Water Proof Matches
2 Bottles (25 ct) Water Purification Tabs
1 Army Back Pack (water proof, all that stuff etc)
2 Metal Water Bottles
1 Hatchet
1 First Aid Kit (for about 3 people)
1 Set of Binoculars (I don't know how strong we should get it, maybe you can help)
1 Thing of Dental Floss
1 3ft Rubber Tubing
1 Thing of Duct Tape
1 Hand Cranked Radio

I use field binoculars for my kit. Never buy anything made in China they will break and are cheaply made. Also hand crank flashlight are made very cheap in most cases I would never trust one. I would also get more ways to start fire like a couple lighters and cotton balls dipped in vaseline.

Just remember the rule of 3.......3 minutes without air.........3 hours without shelter........3 days without water......3 weeks without food.

Water purification is key I really like the Katadyne pocket. And some kind of shelter is a must like a light weight tarp. Or hiking tent. I personally use the Raven designs tent.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Yes, always go for a multiple use item. My "Huge" list is nothing more then a guide. A lot of the items on there are combined into one item, very small/portable, so that it doesn't take up a lot of space, and can fit in a backback.

The two items you really want some redundancy are Water Gathering/purifying and fire starting. Only taking bic lighters is a fool's gambit, IMHO. A striking Rod / magnesium block is much better. Still, make some wax cotton balls in great quantity now. Not only can you start fires with them even if it is raining outside, but they can be great trade items.

Also, always try to carry Rock Salt / Seas Salt (to help with dehydration and seasoning) but a bunch of Mrs Dash Table Blend. Another good trade item, and will make anything taste great (as long as it isnt suppose to be sweet). Or, if you can afford to make a big batch yourself.
Mrs. Dash® Salt Free Seasoning Blend

So here's the challenge with this clone recipe: Not only do
we have to get the right ratios for nearly 20 different spices,
but we also have to come up with a way to get the same lemony
tang that makes the real Mrs. Dash the tasty salt-free seasoning
blend we've come to know and love over the years. Sure, we could
use powdered citric acid that is sometimes found in health food
stores, but not everyone is going to have that scary sounding
ingredient readily available. Then we still need to figure out
the "lemon juice solids" part. Ah, but wait, there's citric acid
and lemon juice solids in Kool-Aid unsweetened lemonade drink
mix. It's perfect! Add a little of that drink powder to the spice
blend and we have a clone that in a blindfolded taste test could
fool even Mr. Dash.

1/4 cup crushed dried minced onion flakes
4 teaspoons crushed dried vegetable flakes (Schilling)
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon dried orange peel
2 teaspoons coarse ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried savory
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon Kool-Aid unsweetened lemonade drink mix
dash crushed dried rosemary

Crushing the vegetable flakes with extreme prejudice

1. Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and stir well.
As you stir, crush the leafy spices for a finer blend.
2. Store the spice blend in a covered container or a sealed shaker
bottle.
Makes about 2/3 cup.

Tidbits
It's best to use a mortar and pestle to crush these sometimes tough
little onion and vegetable flakes to about the size of rice, before
adding them to the mix. But if you don't have one of those handy
kitchen tools, you may also use the back of a spoon and a small
bowl - plus a little grease. You know, the elbow kind.
So, make a big batch, divide it up, and put some in your barter bag and a bunch in your mess kit.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I'm in the UK and it seems to be a bit of a pain to get stuff (at a decent price) such as these as its a low interest item

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by playernumber13

So have I, in good conditions. But you never know under what conditions you will be in a situation.

Worst case (freezing weather, heavy rain, wind, extreme heat) you need a shelter built after three hours. And in heat, yes, a tree can be considered temporary shelter at that moment. With a cheap tarp (free if you watch the sales at Harbor Freight Tools) and a few bungees I can have a shelter against heat and rain assembled and be secure in under five minutes.

Listen to All Things Survival tomorrow night at 7:00 Central for more information.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Soloprotocol

Haha I asked my girl if it would be rude to want to do it in a scenario like this

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
You need:

2 GI rain poncho/shelter half
another canteen cup
Lose the hatchet and shovel (keep those in your car) and get a lightweight folding saw.
Field guide to edible wild plants
3 sets used electric guitar strings for snares

Firearm?

I think those are your most critical needs depending on time of year and location.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Information is a good addition.

As mentioned, a manual (with color pics) of edible plants for your area is a good idea.
The Army Survival Guide is another excellent one.
A map of the local area is excellent too (I keep mine in a ziploc bag)

I also keep some PDF docs on my smartphone. Even if the towers are down so I can't use as a phone, I can use my flashlight/radio/charger to power it up and bring up the info. (the one I linked to has excellent reviews, and I've used it often just to charge the phone for a call, or as a quick flashlight...and it's pretty cheap, like $17). I have another one (crank radio/flashlight) in the other truck that only cost $10 (doesn't have the charger though), and it too has always worked well.

Forgot to mention, I took two used Glucose tablet tubes, and filled them with some survival gear (like what you'd find in the handle of a survival knife...matches, fishing line, hooks, band-aids, etc.), and stuck those babies down the handle of the Venture 6 tool.

edit on 17-7-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Also, packing some cargo pants and vests into the bag might be good. And put the most important items that you need fast in the pockets of those items. If you can spread the weight over your body as much as possible, it won't "drag you down".

Also, very important to re-mention: Hard Candy. Specifically cinnamon candy. Cinnamon regulates blood sugar, and sucking on these little disks can help get you through a rough hike, or a hungry evening.

packing a few survival kit in a cans will help a lot.

Paper or a small notebook journal and pencils for notes. Need to sketch a rough map, or take notes on what food is available in your area, make calculations on traps, things like that.

As stated the army survival manual FM 21-76 pdf link or buying one at your army surplus store. While you are there pick up a few can openers p-38 & p-51. A can opener like this is more then just for opening cans.

Oh the list does get large, and can be expensive, but thinking about what you need, how you can compact it to where it is manageable, wearable, packable, and you should do fine.

The most important thing though is INFORMATION - your brain. Learn as much as you can about as many things as you can, you never know when you will need it.
edit on 7/17/2013 by Skada because: peshaw - grammar

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Knowledge is the most powerful tool. But Good start, maybe a couple of rat traps, or mouse traps for squirrels and rabbits. easy to get a hold of, also steel wool is an excellent fire starter for wet conditions. First Aid equipment, an AXE, Or hatchet, a couple of chainsaw blades, dont waste your money on the crappy wire blades that places sell, most of everything can be bought around a local hardware store, or market without ever having to go to a survival store, that jack up the prices..

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Also, packing some cargo pants and vests into the bag might be good. And put the most important items that you need fast in the pockets of those items. If you can spread the weight over your body as much as possible, it won't "drag you down"

I keep some OD (olive drab) cargo pants and a OD short sleeved fishing shirt (lots of pockets and vents) along with hiking boots and an OD baseball cap in my truck, next to my BOB. If I have to bug out, I'll change then (don't do camo, as some may mistake you for a soldier). And yep, I do keep some common stuff in the pockets (half of which I won't even remember I have until I go into the pockets). Small things like matches, lighters, small pen flashlights, fishing stuff, pocket knife, info in ziploc bags, trial size toiletries, lifesavers candy, slim jims, lockpicks, etc.

Problem is, they don't reseal. You could assemble the same items in a small sealed container (like the $1 sized first aid kit sold in the trial size section), for about the same or less money.

dont waste your money on the crappy wire blades that places sell

After a couple of good branches, the teeth on those wire saws are gone...I'll agree to that. Not very useful.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by gorgon8819

Have to disagree with one poster
KEEP THE METAL MUG !
But really do look at your med kit
Plenty of plasters, antiseptic, bite cream, alcohol wipes, aspirin, paracetamol, lip balm, scissors, compeed, needle and thread, if you can some hemcon or cellox gauze ( look it up ), and things like that, too many think a big pile of bandages and a handful of plasters make a med kit
Condoms for additional water carriage - they will pop, so use a sock to support it's weight ( place the condom in the sock the fill )

Second ....where's your hygiene kit ?????
Initially the change of lifestyle will overwhelm your ability to adapt
I HIGHLY recommend a wash kit
Toothpaste, brushes, bar of soap( smaller and last longer than gel ) and a razor
SOCKS as someone's said .....3 pairs
FOOT POWDER/ cream
Micota foot powder ( think that's the spelling ) or some variant
Kept in a bag for 'dipping' feet into and pre powder your socks

Got to put some ration in there
Even if its just a quick energy fix .......highly recommend a squeezy tub of honey for just that

A racing spoon ......just that spoon you carry everywhere
Or get a spork

A shelter sheet/poncho for emergency cover/drag stretcher ect
A sleeping bag/survival bag
But would seriously get a sleeping bag or US army quilted blanket
An hour in a sleeping bag is as good as 3 without

Pay phone money, a few coins in your first aid kit
Blood money
Cash is good .....a little gold better

For the bino's try to get self focusing
But most importantly x8 magnification
Anything less wont penetrate trapped shadow ( dark shadow with dark back ground )
In other words .....where prey and people hide

edit on 17-7-2013 by Neocrusader because: Added

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Problem is, they don't reseal. You could assemble the same items in a small sealed container (like the $1 sized first aid kit sold in the trial size section), for about the same or less money.

Well, then get some altoid tins.

They should repack in the tin quite nicely. You are right, they cannot be resealed, they should have thought about that one, perhaps putting a lid on it or something.

Also, the altoid tins make a great small fishing kit, and are darn useful for a multitude of things. Gotta open your brain to the possibilities.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Neocrusader

Good call on the utensils, totally missed that. I have a little kit that is in a small pouch, made for camping, fork/spoon/knife, metal ones. Don't go plastic.

Have to disagree on the gold though...won't have NEAR the purchasing power as how much it cost you, if any at all, in a SHTF scenario. Same money could be put towards better gear, but I will certainly agree with coins and cash. I used to try and keep $100 in my BOB in assorted bills, but had to cut it down to $50 these days. (But usually have some in my wallet too...)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Skada

Yep, the fishing kit in my shirt pocket is in an altoid tin...

I use another one to keep the cigarettes (my SHTF cash) in, to keep them from getting crushed!

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by Skada

Yep, the fishing kit in my shirt pocket is in an altoid tin...

Same here. With a white paper on top wrapped with packing tape as a label. That thing will not come off, but it is still openable. I think we used the other tins for sewing kits and other things.

Yeah, start buying altoids, emptying the tins in to ziplocks, and use the tins for the small kits for pockets and the sort.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Good call on the metal KFS set - plastic fails and as cool as a wooden racing spoon is, woods porous and as such can be prone to holding bacteria and other nasties

Fair one on the gold
Depends on a few variables .....and I suppose the average person does have the odd ring or necklace for that possible scenario

edit on 17-7-2013 by Neocrusader because: Added

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Tampons...excellent for cuts and filtering water.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Soloprotocol

Tampons can have their uses...check here for example.
www.huffingtonpost.com...

I also keep a couple of Maxi Pads in my first aid kit. Why? Because they are great for large wounds. They are made to absorb blood after all. We use them for minor horse injuries when they occur, and they work great. (and cheaper than comparable large bandages).

One other major thing missing....insect protection. I'm looking at about a three day hike (or more) home, through Florida, so definitely a concern for me. Others may have their preference, but I like Deep Woods Off.
edit on 18-7-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join