It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Survival Kit, How did we do?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I know this has been posted about a trillion times give or take a few, but I am curious about your guys and gals opinions. All of a sudden one day my Girl comes home and says " I think we should start making a survival kit" I looked up from my video game and said "I love you" So this it what we are going to order. Please feel free to add things we need, or things we don't need. Keep in mind this is for general survival. I know there are many types of survival scenarios, I guess this is a generic scenario survival kit. OH and for those on a budget, all this cost a little over $200 American Dollars.

1 USAF Pilot Survival Knife
1 Magnesium Fire Starter
1 550 Paracord 100ft in length
1 Crank Flash Light
1 (5 in 1) Survival Aid Kit
1 American G.I. Trifold Shovel
1 Metal Canteen Cup
2 Packs of Wind and Water Proof Matches
2 Bottles (25 ct) Water Purification Tabs
1 Army Back Pack (water proof, all that stuff etc)
2 Metal Water Bottles
1 Hatchet
1 First Aid Kit (for about 3 people)
1 Set of Binoculars (I don't know how strong we should get it, maybe you can help)
1 Thing of Dental Floss
1 3ft Rubber Tubing
1 Thing of Duct Tape
1 Hand Cranked Radio

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
So far so good.... where's the food though?

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by gorgon8819

I have been underwhelmed by the quality of some hand crank radios and flashlights. Consider higher quality battery units, then standardize on one or two battery sizes. We chose AA and D for all of our portable equipment.

A strike fire starter is a nice backup, but a simple Bic lighter is often easier.

Probably lose the metal cup in favor of carrying a bit more water.

Food, maybe selected pieces of an MRE?

Socks, seriously. Blisters on the feet are a huge bummer.

Take a close look at the first aid kit. Make sure it has the stuff you really need to treat simple cuts, burns, and insect bites.

One more thought: add a little cash. You never know when that might really help a situation.
edit on 7/17/13 by AnonymousCitizen because: cash

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
not bad, but I say add thees to it: one camp ax, a letherman type Multi-Tool, a poncho for each person, a therm o blanket for each person, binoculars are ok in any power unless you a die hard and want to see them before they see you www.amazon.com... 15x70 but if your on a budget 7x35 will do a good skinning knife a small fishing kit :hooks line, [up to 20 lb can be used for small game snares,] sinkers, a bobber [poles can be made form tree limbs ].

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Maybe a few REM's If they are available to the public?

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
A tarp and a few bungee cords. You can set up a shelter in minutes.

Remember the rules of three:
  • Three minutes without oxygen
  • Three hours without shelter
  • Three days without water
  • Three weeks without food.
A BIC lighter or two is also a good idea.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Ask yourself first: What type of disaster am I planning for?

There are many things you will need for your survival kit. I find most first aid kits to be woefully lacking in bandages, clotting powder, and meds. So, stock up on those.

If you need to pack clothes, think about getting space bags. They will compress the clothes and keep them dry.

Rock salt
Mrs Dash Table blend
either a camp axe or Portable Hand Chainsaw.
toilet paper with the center core removed and in a ziplock bag
other hygiene products - lady hygiene, teeth, soaps (or make your own)
bandanas
good knives, multitools - both fixed blade and folding
solar powered and/or hand crank flashlights with or without radios
water purification - tablets and filters (the life straw is a great product)
emergency blankets
multiple fire-starting items (waterproof matches, strikers, cotton mixed with petroleum jelly or wax
Rain ponchos
a box of BIG BLACK TRASH BAGS - multiple uses
A tarp
paracord
Camp shovel
MREs
cash

I have a list on here....Let me find it and copy it in another post. But it is long, so may not be practical, but you can pick and choose.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by gorgon8819
reply to post by DaTroof

Maybe a few REM's If they are available to the public?

REM's are a band or for sleep. You mean MRE's right? Google says Yes the are available to the public!

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Not sure if this can contribute but here i go...

Keeping warm and cooking :

Always keep those old telephone batteries as they make excellent emergency fire starters even with wet wood... (just punch a hole in the battery with your knife and the oyxgen will react with the battery creating instant sparks and flames)

If you are carrying matches dip the heads in candle wax ensuring easy lighting in wet conditions.

Oh... and condoms... yes condoms! they make great emergency water carriers and also if you have a rifle can be used to protect the end from being clogged up with mud, dirt etc...

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 17-7-2013 by Rodinus because: Always carry a pocket dictionary for crap spelling!!!

edit on 17-7-2013 by Rodinus because: Word added

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Again, ask yourself, am I needing this to get out (Bug out), or staying here (bug in/shelter in place)
Then you can copy this list, and edit it to suit your needs. And there of course are other things if you are bugging out. There was a thread on the Hennessy Hammock. Might be a good addition if bugging out.

First posted here

I will repost it down below. But, my list is a little large, and may not fit into your backpack. I will also edit it a bit.
-------------------------------------
Survival Basics Inventory – quantity could be substituted as 1-2 per person as necessary)
Fold-up Water Bottles link
2 tarps
Mess Kit - camping mess kit that is metal
2 travel pack First Aid - be sure to check for meds, bandaids, even consider liquide bandage or clear nail polish
2 insect nets - if you don't want to carry insect repellent
Insect repellant
Weapons (darts, knives, Stars, Spear, Poison, Blow-dart gun, etc) - if you are bugging out and want to hunt
wire, floss, fishing line - trap making
Fire starters (lighters, cotton wax, flint, Fabric scraps)
1 Spice Kit - because some MREs taste bad
Bandanas - lots, these are very useful
Sunscreen
rain ponchos
Garbage bags - multi use as: tarps, rain ponchos, water collection, waste collection, etc
Batteries - if you have things that need them
Hooks - for fishing
Sewing Kit
Snake Bite Kit
Compass - bugging out
Map of the area - either waterproof on in a waterproof container
Playing cards - entertainment
Wind-up flashlight\ mini flashlights
Rope / paracord
survival kit in a can
Water purification items-purification tablets, filters, the above mentioned LifeStraw

[Makeshift purification-barrel with layers of sand and charcoal (about 2-4 layers of each) some sort of screen at the bottom with holes and a catch basin at the bottom for water reclamation for potable use.] - Knowledge is good as well

Medicinal
Bandages, First Aid kits, Ointments, antibiotics, pain relievers, snake bite kit, tourniquets, medical tape, cotton swabs, alcohol, Scissors, sewing kit, thread,

Food Prep items
Throwing knives, spears, mess kit, fishing hooks, fishing line, Blowdart gun, seed kit, copper goblet, fold-up water bottles, Lighters, cotton wax, matches, work gloves, spice kit, water purification items,

Weapons\tools
Throwing knives, Spears, metal items, Throwing stars, poisons, blowdart gun, rope, hammer, vise grips, nails, spade, hooks,

Miscellaneous
Tarps, blankets, flashlights, candles, playing cards, fuses, potting soil, sleeping bags, books, copper wire, satchels, backpacks, rain gear,

Hygiene kit
Soaps, Brushes\combs, nail file, wet wipes, travel tooth brush, nail clippers, tweezers, towels\rags,

Medical kit should contain:
Couple dozen different sizes of bandages + Ace, Medical tape, Scissors, Ointment and creams,
Alcohol (Everclear) and cotton swabs, Q-tips, Tweezers, Nail clippers, Pain relievers (Tylenol, Aleve),
Pick (Scalpel, needle), snake bite kit, feminine pads (Females/deep wound/blood clotting), Tourniquet, Insect repellant, Sunscreen , bar of soap (or know how to make it)

Weapon\tool kit should contain:
Vise grip, hammer, 2-3 spear-heads, 2-3 different knives, spade, some rope, multi-purpose tool, flares, glow sticks, sharpening tool, sewing needle and thread, slingshot and ammo\blow-dart gun and ammo, sturdy working gloves, poisons, netting, matches, cotton wax, fuses

Other backpack space should hold:
Mess kit, blanket (flannel or wool), notebooks and pencils (sharpener and erasers), MREs, water bottle, playing cards, flashlight, Survival Kit-in-a-can, Assorted Hard Candy (cinnamon, butterscotch, etc)
-------------------------------------

Now, I know that this list is not exhaustive, and should be around 30-50 lbs if you pack it right, but I feel that this list could be an add or subtract kind of list.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

I've spent a lot longer than three hours without shelter......in Phoenix during the summer.

Well I sat under a tree for shade but I wouldn't consider that shelter.

I would say max. 10 to 12 hours.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Condoms...you dont want to be getting pregnant if the SHTF...also great for keeping things dry..Matches, Bandages, tinder etc...you can also fashion a slingshot out of a few tied together.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Skada

Did you include a large 4x4 in your kit....that's a lot of lugging around if you need to bug out.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I dont like the life straw. its great to drink right out of a river but how are you going to purifiy water so you can carry water on you? Suck it up through the straw and spit the water back out into a water bottle? haha

I got a Multicam camelbak that holds 3 liters of water and a katadyn.

Specifications:
Capacity: 13,000 gallons / 50,000 liters
Dimensions: 24 by 6 centimeters / 10 by 2.4 inches
Output: 1 quart/liter per minute
Technology: 0.2 micron ceramic depth filter (cleanable)
Weight: 550 grams / 20 ounces
20 year warranty

Its Expensive but you will use it for life!

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Soloprotocol

Good thought! Nobody thinks about condoms.
I guess most people don't think about having sex but I suppose after a couple days......

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by gorgon8819

Definitely have most of the basics.

Some Suggestions:

Ration Bars (not the best food in the world, but will help you survive)
beprepared.com...

Ponchos (pick em up at the dollar store)

Lighters (matches are great, but should always have more than a couple ways to make fire)

Folding Stove (especially if unable to make a fire, or you don't want a lot of smoke, and cheap at $6)
beprepared.com...

Canned Food (cheap and easy, can even cook and eat right out of the can)

As some said SOCKS!

Condoms are a great suggestion too (as another suggested, just make sure they are just plain ones)

A Bandana (lots of uses, almost zero weight/space added)
www.survivetheapocalypse.net...

Tarp and Bungees (I'm right in agreement with the Redneck on this one)

Firearm (if you can swing it, you need one, I prefer a .22, just because it is great for small game, and the ammo is light and small, and yet still lethal).

As another mentioned, CHECK the first aid kit. Make sure it has antibiotic ointment and other necessities that may not be included.

Cigarettes (even if you don't smoke, may be a useful trade item for you)

Deck of Cards/Dice (you may need something to do, and great way to win friends)

The Gerber Multi-tool is a great suggestion also (or even a cheaper knockoff)

Machete (if you're going to go into some really grown woods, may want one)

Camping saw (as one mentioned)

Water Purification Straw (not as pricey as the katadyn, but not as good either)
beprepared.com...

edit on 17-7-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by playernumber13

Good thought! Nobody thinks about condoms.
I guess most people don't think about having sex but I suppose after a couple days......

Yeah, two weeks without a Razor and the Legs get a bit fuzzy the condoms might be used for water transportation only.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Did you include a large 4x4 in your kit....that's a lot of lugging around if you need to bug out.

Not really, I put more than that in my school-sized backpack. Though my tarp and bungees aren't in it, and my Venture 6 tool (shovel/axe/saw) would be tied on to the pack. It isn't great for longevity or heavy duty stuff, but should serve fine in an emergency.
beprepared.com...

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
And for that extra energy :

Dried fruit
Glucose tablets

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

We take out the bags from time to time, resort, repack, and put away. At the absolute stuffed, the packs weighed in at 30 lbs. Again, this list is not exhaustive and can be added to or subtracted from.

So, you have to ask yourself, what do you need the pack for, what situations are likely to occur in your area. Also, putting back food by buying an extra item here and there when you go shopping is a great idea. Especially right now, when prices are going up.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join