It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Trayvon conversation that ended my 8 year friendship.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by canucks555
interesting story. But OP didn't I read this on that "other forum" ? MAybe I'm wrong

Other forum? Nope. And why the "quotations"?

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Because "That Forum" is the Place we name not.

Sorry to go off topic. I guess all kinds of people are losing friends over dumb stuff.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I've only had one good friend in my life. We used to bicker and fight a lot, but we always got over it the next day and forgot about whatever we said to each other.

Seriously life moves on, and if you let this big distraction like the Trayvon martin case get in a way of a friendship, your playing right into their game.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a lot of people have lost connections over this.

it's sad really, but the fact is, this isn't a racial case.

another fact is, he didn't have ice tea, it was watermelon drank

Another fact is, he wasn't killed over drink and skittles, he was killed because he commited felony assault.

I watched the trial, those are the facts.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
To me, it seems your ex-friend wasn't looking for a debate. He was venting anger from his past experiences and from what he regards an unjust outcome.
Then you tried to start a formal debate.
now I'm not saying it's your fault, but your ex-friend's post was clearly not an invitation for a debate and you might have come as a "know it all" word-player.
I think you misjudged the situation.
It doesn't excuse your ex-friend from insulting you from the get go though.
I think your friend is someone who confuses debate with attacks
If you ever reconcile, I would never start another argument/debate with him.
some people just can't handle it

IMHO most TM supporters are those who believe that there is nothing wrong with taking the law by themselves. For example they believe that if someone is creepily following you, you are justified on attacking that person and beating him half to dead.
On the other hand, GZ supporters believe that the correct action when being followed is to escape and call 911.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Never apologize when you're angry. Whether you feel justified in that anger, or you realize you were wrong... It'll always come across as insincere.

You were both wrong in your interactions.

Wait a while, then approach him. I'd venture a guess that there's some regret on his end, too. It'd be a shame for a long time friendship to end because of something like this... My two cents worth.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Race can be very touchy subject, but I think it's sad that we can't discuss it in an open and honest manner without fear of offending others. Until the time arrives that we can, these topics remain divisive.

But, I have to say, I agree with you that it feels as though this is how TPTB want it. Divided we are weaker, and what better way to divide us than constantly throwing our differences in our faces to create tension?

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Man I feel you. I have black and white friends. I am as close to a colorblind person as you will come across. Everyman to me is judged by the quality of their character and their integrity. I don't care if you are purple. However I had a conversation (not as blown apart as yours but similar) with a black man I know.

In no time I realized I had crossed an invisible line. He politely and kindly told me that this was a sensitive subject and that he would not discuss it at work. On retrospect I agreed and later apologized for putting him on the spot. I empathized with the fact that self defense did not work out here. They upon doing some digging I discovered a map of where both parties were at a given time...

Zimmerman broke off contact when the 911 op told him to. Went about his business. Travon then walked a couple blocks up the road and returned, and re-started this confrontation. At this point HE is responsible and culpable for the end result. Two days before this he posted pics of himself flipping the bird and showing pictures of his pot stash. He was no little kid as portrayed by the media. The media holds a HUGE hand in the race riots and beatings that have ensued over this.

The mainstream media should be mortally ashamed of themselves. They have whipped this into a situation that none of us will come out of untouched. I managed to salvage my relationship with my friend by mainly shutting up and not trying to educate him on this subject. He still holds his bias however. Can we all do this???

I think not...This whole media fiasco is a freakin shame on us as a whole. How many of us are intelligent enough to realize the manipulation and revolt from it? This case will be a turning point for the negative for this country, because most are not intelligent enough to dig a little deeper than the mainstream media.

This basic Sun Tzu. Divide and conquer and they have been damn good at dividing us. God help us through this time.

Pray for us, cuz this is a mess...
edit on 18-7-2013 by Coopdog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   
The race issue is a non issue. We are racist animals.; In fact all animals are. It is instinctual to not trust people that look different

We learn to trust..

Anyone want to claim to be better than that, who are you, Jesus ?

There seems to be so much denial going on, on all sides of this. No wonder the argument goes nowhere fast.

Of course Zimmerman facially profiled him. Other experiences had only reinforced an already negative opinion. Not cool but unfortunately quite natural.

Of course Trayvon was trying to be all Gangsta. This was his social uniform and a way of getting street cred.

The gangsta wannabe brought a pack of skittles to a gun fight with obvious results.

I often hear about cyclists getting run over by trucks. And there families saying " but they had a right to be on the road"

Tell it to God.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Your friends response sounds reasonable. He discovered that you're subconsciously racist and now he doesn't want to be friends with you.

Tough luck. In future try not being deluded about the institutional racism against black people in the country and you might better keep your friends. The media isn't responsible for the end of your friendship, you are for refusing to acknowledge the racism that prevails throughout American society and its justice system.

Sorry

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by GrandStrategy

His freind at least has the excuse of knowing him to make that claim...

What's your excuse, again? Oh, yeah, you disagree with him. Sure evidence of racism, eh?

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:09 AM
link   
As a young black man who has seen many a peer disappear into the void I can honestly say I find the whole Trayvon controversy utterly annoying. To be curt I couldn't care less. I know it sounds mean but perhaps I'm just desensitized to young brothas being gunned down all the time. Nobody marched and protested for my homies last year. New Haven has some of the worst black on black violence in the country. Now all of a sudden I'm supposed to give a rats azz about some kid from some far off hood because the news says it's important THIS TIME. I could think up at least 50 (if not more) worse injustices that happen daily on the regular. Yea it sucks that he(zimmerman) got away with murder but we got crooks in the white house (some black. gasp!) who get away with torture and worse on a global scale. Whatever. I think I lost touch with humanity (and as a consequence my heritage) long ago.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
It's too bad you had to lose a friendship over such a discussion, but I could definitely tell that he really didn't give much that he called facts, he just said he had them. He also didn't reply to the debatable evidence that you gave him, either. I would call him on the wrong side of the debate but remember the saying " Walk a mile in a mans shoes..."

It's just to say, I encourage you to attempt a renew at your friendship, regardless of entirely different stances on this subject. It's apparent that the two of you have lived very different lives, and while I agree mostly with your side of the debate, is that really the most important thing here?

I apologize if I come off as condescending, or arrogant! I've been in such situations before, and have not dealt with them any more eloquently than yourself, I just hope that an 8 year friendship isn't dismissed over this issue, this issue is already doing enough damage on a national level, it shouldn't hit us on more personal levels

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   
If everybody agreed with eveyone.

Life would be pretty boring :-)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

You are correct in your reasoning, but right out of the gate, both of you belittled each other, escalating a debate into an argument. Other than one of you backing down and agreeing to disagree, there really was no other outcome that could have come from it....

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Fry your friends brain with this revelation... Its very possible that the prosecutors had high placed persuasion to throw the case and help Zimmerman get off scot free. By who? Think The White House and Justice Department.
They'd have everything to gain from a non guilty verdict and you can see them pushing their agenda right now. Racial division, anti gun laws, questioning of the legal system and a possible need for special prosecutors and Justice Department investigations and trials. So much for double jeopardy.
I also look at those who are so completely sure of Zimmerman's guilt or innocence and Martin's deserving to be shot in self defense or not. They're either hopelessly naïve, completely partisan or so closed minded they're blockheads.
I thought manslaughter was a reasonable compromise, maybe aggravated assault. I do think Trayvon threw the first punch and wailed away on Zimmerman, but no one knows what his intentions were. And I doubt Zimmerman was being completely honest in saying that Trayvon went for his gun. Those are reasonable questions that NONE of us know. So maybe there was doubt and he had to go free. But the prosecutors sure seemed to be good at throwing the case and making mistakes.
Now the left is demanding lynch mob and having a parade of freaks pushing for change nobody really wants or even sees as necessary.
I said before, the biggest reason to support Zimmerman was because of the haters that were lined up against him. There were some against Trayvon to be sure, but nowhere near as organized or as extensive. Just one big gray area with questions unanswered. But one things for sure, we won't get them from the government, they're more clueless and idiotic than the worst whack job on the internet.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrandStrategy
Your friends response sounds reasonable. He discovered that you're subconsciously racist and now he doesn't want to be friends with you.

Tough luck. In future try not being deluded about the institutional racism against black people in the country and you might better keep your friends. The media isn't responsible for the end of your friendship, you are for refusing to acknowledge the racism that prevails throughout American society and its justice system.

Sorry

I'm subconsciously racist and I refuse to acknowledge racism? Wow, thanks for that, you couldn't be further from the truth.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
After reading through all of that
, I found it obvious that your difference in opinion on the Trayvon case is not the root of your conflict. There are probably other issues at play. A good friendship can easily deal with a difference in opinion, whatever the subject. So there you have it: You probably haven't reached friendship-stage with him.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Sorry to hear another friend lost over a disagreement.

"You can't change the system from the inside"
Not sure who said this?
Any one knows?

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I think everyone should be focused on the root of the problem. Case's where youth shoot youths, or cops shooting the people that pay their salaries should be focused on, considering this seems to be a huge problem in America. Not some case where it two idiots, where the bigger idiot got the not guilty plea.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join