It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rep. Holt to Introduce Bill to Repeal Patriot Act & 2008 FISA Act

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Amazing news. One day, the Patriot Act will be repealed and we will rejoice in the streets of America! It will be an amazing day! Probably not soon, though.
edit on 18-7-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   
This will not pass, but at least the vote for it will be a valuable tool in discerning who is a traitor and who isn't.

"Nay" or "Present" votes will tell the story of who is bed with the cabal that has us operating in an open air prison.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
So I heard back from my Rep. and as expected I got the standard reply.

Thank you for your email. Please know that I appreciate you taking the time to share your views on this important issue. As always, I will keep your comments and concerns in mind as this issue continues to develop in the 113th Congress.

Please note that if this is an emergency or a time-sensitive issue, please contact my Boston office at 617-428-2000, and a member of my staff would be happy to help you.

Again, thank you for your email. Please don't hesitate to contact me in the future regarding this or any other issue.

Sincerely,

Stephen F. Lynch
Member of Congress

Doubt he has any clue what my issue is.

/sigh

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

1 IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR OPENING A CARD ACCOUNT: To help the federal government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities, the USA PATRIOT Act requires all financial institutions and their third-party service providers to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person who opens a Card Account. What this means for you: When you open a Card Account, you will be asked to provide your name, street address, date of birth, and other information that will allow us to identify you. We may also ask you to provide a copy of your driver's license or other documentation as proof of identification. Approval of your request for a NetSpend Prepaid Debit Card requires passing our identification verification process. Residents of the State of Vermont are ineligible to open a Card Account.

www.netspend.com...

Those requirements and more have always been there. I remember a time when I was pretty down and out and I couldn't even open a bank account because I only had one ID. This was in the seventies.

Nothing new here.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

No the difference was before it was just a criminal now it's 'terrorist'

Big Difference with two different approaches of handling it.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Well, you know what they say. There's nothing more dangerous than a cornered animal. If TPA (and it's associated filth) should ever be seriously challenged, I cringe to think what it's supporters might be willing to do in order to maintain it.

At any rate, it seems pretty obvious to me that one of their main goals was to basically fuse the military, intelligence and police and that will likely continue regardless of whether or not this legislation survives.

edit on 19-7-2013 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
While I sincerely hope that a repeal of these acts is accomplished,(I'm not going to hold my breath), I wonder what a repeal would really stop the Government from doing anyhow.

They don't seem to be very keen on following the Constitution in the first place.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfessorChaos
While I sincerely hope that a repeal of these acts is accomplished,(I'm not going to hold my breath), I wonder what a repeal would really stop the Government from doing anyhow.

They don't seem to be very keen on following the Constitution in the first place.

Precisely. The laws are just a formality to these people. They have no intentions of staying within any boundaries set by themselves or anyone else. My feeling on it is laws like TPA are just a way to get the ball rolling and to get the public talking about it.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
I actually do agree with these proposals.
It is mainly because most of this legislation is 100% unconstitutional and illegitimate in the first place.

Yes indeed, and Bravo to Mr. Holt.

Slightly related, Barbara Lee of California has introduced a bill to repeal the AUMF. She was the only person to vote against it. I have already contacted my congresscritter to support Lee's efforts.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Update Transcript

Timothy B. Lee: How would your legislation be different from other NSA reform proposals?

Rush Holt: This isn’t reform. This is repeal. I voted against both of those [the Patriot Act and the FAA] before. And actually against Patriot before multiple times. Those bills were misguided in their specifics, and now seeing what various agencies have done to stretch the language of those bills to cover things that were never intended to be covered makes clear that they’ve got to go. Even Rep. James Sensenbrenner (R-Wis.) [the author of the Patriot Act] has said it was never intended to be used that way.

Continued... Washington Post

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Bill To Repeal The Patriot Act and FISA is Making It's Way Through Congress

"referred to committee"

Read more at www.mainwashed.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join