It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rep. Holt to Introduce Bill to Repeal Patriot Act & 2008 FISA Act

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Rep. Holt to Introduce Bill to Repeal Patriot Act & 2008 FISA Act

While the rest of the country was celebrating our independence, House Dem. Rush Holt (NJ-12) was doing something about it — drafting legislation to repeal both the Patriot Act of 2001 and the FISA Amendments Act of 2008.

Once again, our nation is grappling with a false choice being presented to us by the media and intelligence officials: In order to be safe, we must be willing — in President Barack Obama’s words — to accept “modest encroachments” on our civil liberties. These claims are being advanced in the wake of the most sensational revelations about intrusive, and potentially illegal, government surveillance activities at home since the Watergate era. … -Rush Holt
Continued...

Source

Related: HOLT

This news has been quite in the media, figured to share. I know it's probably a stretch but at least there's effort. Furthermore will see how it develops, at least bring the idea to the front of the concern, for at least some kind of action to happen.

This real of the Patriot Act the the FISA Act deserves recognition. As does, in relation, that Rep. Holt, in 2012, voted to repeal the FISA Act- See here.

You can show support by:
Writing to your House representative:
Reps

Also, alert your Senator, request a similar bill and or support:
Senators

edit on 17-7-2013 by dreamingawake because: Contacts

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

I applaud the senator for doing this but I have my doubts this will get very far.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

ANYONE trying to repeal this garbage has my support.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Holt will be chewed up and spit out over this........Im glad there are a few people left that are willing to stick their necks out.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Cheers to that it gets somewhere!

Originally posted by xavi1000

Nice

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
HOLT, HOLT, HOLT,

HOLT, HOLT, HOLT,

all together now . . .

HOLT, HOLT, HOLT,

(getting a little Holty-Tolty myself)

Wish him luck !

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
At least someone tried to repeal it instead of making an empty promise to get himself elected er wait.

Yeah Patriot Act/FISA both need to meet their end.

Wonder if people knew that anytime you open up a prepaid debit/or credit card you are automatically reported to Homeland Security?

The Patriot Act is why.

Not a product endorsement:

1 IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR OPENING A CARD ACCOUNT: To help the federal government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities, the USA PATRIOT Act requires all financial institutions and their third-party service providers to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person who opens a Card Account. What this means for you: When you open a Card Account, you will be asked to provide your name, street address, date of birth, and other information that will allow us to identify you. We may also ask you to provide a copy of your driver's license or other documentation as proof of identification. Approval of your request for a NetSpend Prepaid Debit Card requires passing our identification verification process. Residents of the State of Vermont are ineligible to open a Card Account.

www.netspend.com...

Always read the fine print.
edit on 17-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I was about to do a thread on this myself, search worked for once

SF!

This we should be marching for. Spread the word, MSM does occasionally respond when something is viral in social media. Get active.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I have a feeling RT will cover it better than our own MSM.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Informative replies .

The thread's first ex text is from this Source: Rep. Holt to Introduce Bill to Repeal Patriot Act & 2008 FISA Act but is still having trouble loading? Source link provided is the base article for the thread linked above. Thought, I'd clarify and have alerted mods.

More sources carrying it, plus re tweeted on Twitter:
Tech Dirt

Oath Keepers

edit on 17-7-2013 by dreamingawake because: More

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
When I have the time later tonight, definitely going to write some senators. To those that doubt the bill, erase your doubt by pushing this down the throats of everyone you know and write your "representatives". Be the change you wish to see, others will follow suit. Push this on social media as well.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
It's nice to see we have at least one courageous US Senator.

I think this might be more popular than most of us think.

At least my "Liberty" matters to one elected official.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   

“Safety from external danger is the most powerful director of national conduct. Even the ardent love of liberty will, after a time, give way to its dictates. The violent destruction of life and property incident to war, the continual effort and alarm attendant on a state of continual danger, will compel nations the most attached to liberty to resort for repose and security to institutions which have a tendency to destroy their civil and political rights. To be more safe, they at length become willing to run the risk of being less free.”

Well looky there.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
So does this mean NDAA is going to be "Repealed" 10 years from now?

I mean my god the patriot act was signed in 2001 and probably thought of 10 years before 2001. This is all just a bunch of beating around the bush to pretend anything is actually getting solved or any positive action is taking place.

Seriously, were all screwed and I think most people on this forum know it, and this isn't paranoid delusion talking, this whole snowden issue is obliviously a demographic, to see how many people would be upset over it, see how many "targets" they have.

If a Revolution occurs it will be pre planned by the guys that quell it.

So many lies and deceit, you really have to not give a sh@% what happens anymore, because were all screwed either way. Something big is going to come down on us. This whole Trayvon Martin distraction plus the Snowden demographic, Department of Homeland Defense gearing up, screw it all to hell.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I actually do agree with these proposals.
It is mainly because most of this legislation is 100% unconstitutional and illegitimate in the first place.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Amen, brudda.

We need to elect more people like this who will take a stand against tyranny and the trashing of what's left of our constitution. But before we can elect them, we need to figure out how to permanently dismantle the great electronic voting machine scam.

I'm glad my 10,000th post on this site was in support of a bill to repeal the Faketriot Act and FISA. And I'll make 10,000 more in support of legislation like this with no problem at all.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Yes, I did. Which is why I don't have 'em.

Holt for President. I wish him all the luck in the world. He's going to need it.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 05:34 AM
link   
He can introduce all the bills he wants to get the patriot act revoked. It'll never pass, at least not until another bill has been passed that gives the same powers to the government. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Holt labeled a traitor by folks like Rush once this gets out further.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Problem is, the internet, our calls, our texts..they arent occurring in our homes.
they are occurring in the airwaves, on computers and servers in data centres all over the world.
if we allow our information to be put out there... then it is open to be monitored.
Back in the 80's, 90's when phones and the internet was in its infancy... and the people still relied on genuine methods of communication, the world worked!
We made this choice, now we don't have a choice.
But, on the flipside the government has no choice on our efforts of communication. As much as they'd like to be able too, they cannot control it... they cant restrict it.. its open and free...
We both win, but we both lose.. .its equilibrium!

edit on 18-7-2013 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join