It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sebelius: Obamacare Opponents Like Those Who Opposed Civil Rights

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
What ??

Kathleen Sebelius is currently the Health and Human Services Secretary of the United States.

She has a very high position and was nominated by Obama for that Cabinet post.

Why in the world would SHE decide to fuel the current fires with a wacky statement like this ??

She was addressing the NAACP convention in Orlando, Fla.

Obvious puppy-petting.

This certainly alienates many people who oppose ObamaCare who are not prejudice and would have supported the Civil Rights laws when they were in debate many many years ago.

What is Her purpose anyway ?

Why place people in groups with generalizations ?

Haven't we heard enough cheap talk from the media ?

Addressing the annual NAACP convention in Orlando, Fla., Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said that opponents of Obamacare are the same kind of people who opposed civil rights legislation in the 1960s.

Her comments on Tuesday came one day before the Republican-led House votes to delay key provisions of the law.

"The Affordable Care Act is the most powerful law for reducing health disparities since Medicare and Medicaid were created in 1965, the same year the Voting Rights Act was also enacted," Sebelius said. "That significance hits especially close to home. My father was a congressman from Cincinnati who voted for each of those critical civil rights laws, and who represented a district near where the late Reverend Fred Shuttlesworth lived and preached.

"The same arguments against change, the same fear and misinformation that opponents used then are the same ones opponents are spreading now. 'This won’t work,' 'Slow down,' 'Let’s wait,' they say.

here's the most idiotic statement;

"With each step forward, you said to forces of the status quo, 'This will work,' 'We can’t slow down' 'We can’t wait,' 'We won’t turn back.'
She says this after She and Obama decided to 'stall' the Employer Mandate 2 weeks ago !!

I guess they DO have to wait

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Every where you look this administration keep pushing the racial card any way the can, I am just beyond words, it seems that the crap and corruption behind this administration is so big that they have to keep the people fighting each other rather than finding out what is going on behind the citizens back.

Obamacrap is just that crap they know it and we know it too, how dare she use racial innuendo to push the crap.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

wow they really want to stoke those racial tensions don't they? Universal healthcare is a matter of civil rights when put into the context of the American medical system, but that civil rights issue applies to everyone, it has nothing to do with skin color.

I wish, I really wish, your government and media would tell you the truth about the healthcare systems in the rest of the world, many people die, or go homeless, needlessly in the Us to pay for their healthcare, this doesn't have to happen.

The horrors you are taught about socialized medicine and complete and utter fantasies cooked up by government officials who themselves, receive federally funded socialized medicine plans, while telling you how it will end America if you had access to the same system.

Obamacare isn't socialized. It's the government handing direct control of medical insurance regulation to the very insurance companies who need to be regulated. The road to hell is paved with good intentions they say, but this whole plan was gutted long before anyone was even calling it obamacare.

But to call those who see it for what it is, racist? Wow, that's saying a lot about a lot of things, not many of them good.

The lower class is getting screwed when it comes to insurance and medical care, and racist or not, a lot of that lower class is Black or Hispanic. This doesn't necessarily mean those who oppose it do so because they are racist against those groups.

If the plan was honest to goodness socialized medicine, those opposing it would be the fringe.

====

I'm a cannuck. If I get sick, I go to a doctor or hospital of my choosing, present my medicare card, and get treated, if I don't have my card, I provide proof of residence and in some cases have to pay a 50$ handling fee. My treatments are free. Drugs are not, but they are much much more affordably priced here than in the US, one of the reasons you guys aren't legally allowed to get your drugs from Canada, we didn't let big pharma right our bills.

Everything else i have covered through work, for my entire family (just the two of us as of yet) for 73$. That's 80% dental, 80% prescription drugs and now over the counter, 80% optical.

If I was diagnosed with cancer, the only thing I'd have to pay for would be some of the drugs. no hospital bills. None. And, before you repeat a republican talking point, I have just as good access to cancer treatments as you do, I just don't have the ability to pay my way to the head of the line.

And, when it comes to a lot of people who are against HONEST socialized medicine, that's exactly what it's about, being able to pay your way to the head of the line.

Medical care is a civil right and crosses all boundaries and races.
edit on 17-7-2013 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Good post and good info about the Canadian system.

I'm sure there is a way to make healthcare in the U.S. easy and streamlined.

Why they haven't found it (or are suppressing it) is amazing.

The current systems of Medicare and Medicaid use many private contractors.

The politics 'down here' is equally amazing with how it seems to affect everything with little regard for the average citizen.

This whole ObamaCare deal is riddled with incompetence and ineptitude.

The government side is way behind on most of the legwork, so they are 'delaying' parts of the law.

Whatever they do will have negative impacts on what they don't do.

As if there's not enough problems already.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Every where you look this administration keep pushing the racial card any way the can, I am just beyond words, it seems that the crap and corruption behind this administration is so big that they have to keep the people fighting each other rather than finding out what is going on behind the citizens back.

Obamacrap is just that crap they know it and we know it too, how dare she use racial innuendo to push the crap.

lol. YUP, marg they are setting the stage for a Holder run.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Usually, the race card is the fallback, last ditch effort card that they play.

I mean, what's next?

If you don't support Obamacare, this kitteh will die!

(actual photo of Kathleen Sebelius having a baby kitteh for lunch)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
YUP, marg they are setting the stage for a Holder run.

You know .. the more I think about it... the more I think you may be right.
Clinton was damaged by Benghazi-gate and her post concussion statement
"what does it matter now" (or whatever it was that she said).

Holder = Obama II .... YIKES!

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Why would the liberals want to give up that race card, its like jokers wild.
Sometimes two Jokers are used
edit on 103131p://bWednesday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Yes that would definitely be the last nail in our coffin.The people have been screwed around with for decades now.Transparancy and change huh?

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Everyone needs to recall..this is the same woman who, as Governor, was SO full of herself and her own Nanny authority to run other's lives, she literally OUTLAWED the serving of a good cut of steak in a public facility unless it was cooked Medium Well (I believe the cut off had been).

Imagine my surprise when, one day years back, I sat down at the Flying J in Salina, Kansas and ordered myself Steak and Shrimp (It was a little treat I did occasionally when I got my fuel rewards back
) to tell them what I always told order takers 'Medium on the steak!' .. to then be told they could not, under state law at the time, serve my steak in that condition. The Governor had deemed it unsafe.

This is one of Obama's pet poodles who seem to view Tyranny as not going far enough. It'll be an outstanding day for this nation and the world when this sorry excuse for a woman and everyone who came in with her aer OUT of Government service.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Kathleen does not understand how insurance works. She must not have paid attention in class. The actual equation:

Doctors work for a profit, their job is to sell as much service or product as they can - hospitals too (a hospital with no customers is out of business). So, said doctor will sell meds, tests, surgeries in order to make his monthly payments fore the business and himself. Fair enough. Most companies work this way.

Insurance is in the business of making money for SHAREHOLDERS. Insurance takes premiums and seeks to deny as many claims as they can, thereby making a profit for the shareholders. Fair enough most companies work this way.

Notice how I never said anything about getting sick and then getting well? These two corporate entities are at ODDS with each other, they FIGHT each other, they are purposefully placed in a position where neither can win, they can only fight for survival. Heath care as it is called, is only the rouse for the profit war, there is no long term benefit here.

Making people pay for insurance, the corporation charged, legally charged, with denying as many claims as possible in order to benefit the shareholders is INSANE. This has happened because the 99 percent don't even understand the most BASIC ways in which business operates. They were educated to be ignorant, so when some talking head says, "hey, free health care" they actually believe it and don't see a problem with PAYING for FREE health care.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

You may be right, now that I had time to chew the issue more about Holder it seems that if we keep seen him more in the spot light then is a sure thing, he will be the next puppet in the White house, because let face it, who is going to be running on the Republicans side?

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I had no idea his heinous' opponents are like Jim Crow, Al Gore Sr. and the other Democrats who opposed equal, civil rights and desegregation. As I look around, I see his supporters, Democrats, continuing to drive the wedges between races.

Either we all love Mr. O and everything he's done (or not done), or we're racist.

edit on 7/17/2013 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Man.......

The Polarization NEEDS to continue!

BTW, is Obama seeking a third term?

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Yeah people missed the memo that in the world we live in that all corporate products(healthcare) are 'civil rights' issues ?

Anyone who doesn't support robbing from peter to pay for pauls corporate product means they are haters/

Take a good look at the op, and the rest of their CORPORATE FASCISM platform.

Zeig Heil.
edit on 17-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Just remember, Obamacare is a tax, according to the Supreme Court.

So if you are against taxes, you oppose civil rights.

Another way of saying it is;

If you don't like getting a fiscal prostate exam from uncle sam, then you are a racist.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

This is a good example of how and why I hold politics... as a generalized term that includes a lot of connectivity, responsible for a lot of the race baiting going on all around us.

My comments on this on another thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The product here is a nation with large numbers who are almost literally blind with loyalty to a person or political platform. This goes to both red and blue, left and right. Here we have a moment in time where racial healing is desperately needed but we get just the opposite from the news media and both political polarities... with all those placed into positions of power by the same.

My personal view is that the wholesale objective is to create and sustain division... because as one notable person once said, a house divided unto itself cannot stand.

Additionally, this house divided will not speak in a single voice, either... which is indeed a form of security for all those in power of all denominations.

edit on 17-7-2013 by redoubt because: typo

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
If you don't like getting a fiscal prostate exam from uncle sam, then you are a racist.

Well, it's not that I mind the exam from professionals with as much experience up that particular orifice as Uncle Sam produces. It's the rough cut 4x4 they are coming to use as the tool of choice that chaffs just a bit. It makes it a little hard to sit for awhile and really makes me wish even Carter were back in office. That's gotta be a statement as loud as Krakatoa.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Wait a minute, this statement is completely off-base and at the very least, way anachronistic. In my experience at the moment, people who oppose ObamaCare (conservatives) are opposing the liberal crackdown on civil rights (such as N.S.A. surveillance, domestic drone usage, going after A.P. phone records, trying to kill Snowden, etc.)

That's just using simple political math.
edit on 17-7-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
At this point, I think they are just trying to get people to shoot themselves in the foot.

They make some stupid statement. Then watch as the blogosphere explodes in hate for this administration. Then, they wait for someone to step one toe over the line and with the help of the NSA, bam, they grab em up.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join