It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The USA is one of the least racist countries in the World

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I know from travel experiences that the U.S. is one of the least racist countries in the World.
But there seems to be an agenda to paint the U.S. as one of the most racist countries in the World.

Let's start with this Map showing the most and least racist countries in the World (source: Washingt on Post):

The map shows India as one of the most racist countries in the world. Surprised? If you have ever traveled to India you are probably not surprised. I`ve traveled there. Sadly the "caste system" (called Varna-System in India, Varna means Color) is still firmly rooted in the heads of the people. The caste-system says that a darker someones skin, the "lower" they rank in society. The only people who are allowed to handle trash for instance are the very dark-skinned "casteless" people (which explains why India has a trash-problem in inner cities - nobody is picking it up!). I recall picking up a Kleenex I had accidentally dropped during an Ayurvedan massage. The massagists started laughing and ridiculing me for picking it up. "Why are you laughing?" I asked. They explained to me that as a white person I should not be picking up trash and they thought it was funny. The racism is so extreme it would shock any westerner. I saw black-american tourists there, oblivious to the racism. I saw how restaurant owners were reluctant to serve them until commanded by their boss to do so. I saw more and worse but it would go beyond the scope of this write-up to mention it all. Needless to say I won't be returning to India anytime soon.

What inspired me to write this article was a comment made by a high-ranking Italian Politician Roberto Calderoni the other day. He publicly said about the first black Italian Minister: "I like animals, but she looks like an Orangutan". Source. And the guy is still in office and will continue to stay in office. Why? Because such statements by politicians are not uncommon in Italy. Former Head of State Silvio Berlusconi made jokes about Obamas skin color and his brother repeatedly referred to black people with the n-word in public view. Imagine hearing such statements by high-ranking American politicians...

The research defines the least racist countries in the world as follows:

United States, Canada, Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Guatemala, Britain, Sweden, Norway, Latvia, Australia, New Zealand

And the most racist countries, according to this research are:

India, Jordan,Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Vietnam, Indonesia, South Korea

I agree with the findings of this research because I have actually traveled many of these countries and heard public conversations there with my own ears.

So why do we so often hear that America is the "most racist country in the world?" America welcomes people from all cultures and ethnicities. In fact what is "an American?" An American is a mix of many different origins. Look at our President for example.
edit on 17-7-2013 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
good joke ... seen and experienced firsthand the racism that exists in the u.s ..

its just more veiled than in other parts of the world ..

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
good joke ... seen and experienced firsthand the racism that exists in the u.s ..

its just more veiled than in other parts of the world ..

The thread title is not "There is no racism in the U.S.". Its "The USA is one of the least racist countries in the World".

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   
south africa needs to go on there for most racist. first they treated their black population like a subspecies, now they are doing it to their white population. they actually have a law that says you can't hire white people.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I have never ever heard anyone say the US is one of the most racist countries in the world. Ever. So I agree it's obviously one of the least.

I think the timing of this thread is going to bite you in the but, considering the racial tensions being stoked right now, but that was probably the whole point right?
edit on 17-7-2013 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

I have never ever heard anyone say the US is one of the most racist countries in the world. Ever.

You should listen to Europeans talk or read the "Comments Sections" of European online newspapers.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by undo
south africa needs to go on there for most racist. first they treated their black population like a subspecies, now they are doing it to their white population. they actually have a law that says you can't hire white people.

True. South Africa has a long tradition of racism.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Hah most of the "Europeans" I've had contact with are entirely racist, to the core. I used quotes because I've been told to not refer to Britain as part of Europe. I'd kinda like to see where Israel ranks on there, but that's for my own curiosity, I already know there is a good chunk, probably a strong minority, that's pretty damn racist over there too.

Oh, and as a Canadian, I can tell you there are still plenty of racists here, they just hide it, much like some Americans do. Hell, parts of my own family are disgustingly racist, but only when they know they can voice those opinions "safely"
edit on 17-7-2013 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by undo

True. South Africa has a long tradition of racism.

we've certainly worked hard in the usa to solve the racism issue,
but it just doesn't want to go away. at least we're trying.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I have little doubt about this. We have little pockets of EXTREME racism all over, but racism is not accepted by the general public in the US, while many other countries allow it. We've definitely got a loooong way to go, but when you sit back and think about all the progress we've made in the last 150 years, it's pretty obvious that we're improving.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I was surprised to see Australia doing so well on the list. I can't help but think that it may have something to do with political correctness or something along those lines. Nobody will say anything in public, but behind closed doors it is another story completely. We hunted the Aboriginals like animals almost until extinction, they only received entry into our bill of rights in recent years. It's not unusual to hear people be openly racist toward the Aboriginals.

But I have only travelled to Europe so my basis for comparison is severely lacking compared to you. This should be an interesting thread.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
What about South Africa, China?

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I noticed something during the last Olympics when all the countries athletes did the parade with their country's flag. A great majority of the countries all had exactly the same race in their group. All white, all black, all asian, etc. But not America. America had every race, skin color, hair color, etc. It was beautiful.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   

The main difference about racism.

Places like India and other Asian countries... they HATE EACH OTHER(class, state, city, and even caste).. they will probably save a word to two about how Americans are fat.. but it just a shallow hate..

But US hates everyone else and each other, deep hate.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I was suprised to see Sweden and Norway near the top of least racist. I know quite a lot of norwegians and swedes and they are shockingly racist people, danes are the worst for it.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
The main difference about racism.

Places like India and other Asian countries... they HATE EACH OTHER(class, state, city, and even caste).. they will probably save a word to two about how Americans are fat.. but it just a shallow hate..

But US hates everyone else and each other, deep hate.

Did you read the examples in the OP? They tell a different story.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   

I can't help but think that it may have something to do with political correctness or something along those lines. Nobody will say anything in public, but behind closed doors it is another story completely.
reply to post by Samuelis

In the old day political correctness used to be called having good manners.

It's socially unacceptable to be racist which is a good thing.

Racism will always be there in society until we reach a level in human evolution where we merge into one race. That's a long way off and maybe if we're deep space travelling and 'off Earth dwelling' by then, we'll evolve into another racial bracket of human.

It's how we deal with racism, that's the important thing.
edit on 17-7-2013 by Tykonos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Okie.. let me break down your OP.

Caste system is racism within India, it does not apply to outsiders. Second, maybe you are getting you info about Caste from 50 yrs old reference, go to talk to any kid that is about 25yrs and below... they probably won't know anything, just like how religion is decreasing in youth in western world.

You being white, "aka American" they assume you are rich, even if a rich black guy goes to India he would not been seen as rich? is that racism or what the British instilled in their head about what a white skin is about during the 500 yrs old colonialism?

I bet the servers were just scared of black people lol... probably only "black" people know is from movies and are portrayed as gang and violent individual.

Same with Asian culture, example China, they are Xenophobic not racist, big difference, very big one. They don;t hate you because you are Skin A or skin B, they hate you because you are an outsider and "possibly dangerous".. different culture. Also, many people assume when Asians yell because they are mad, face impressions look like they hate you as well, but in reality they might be saying something else....

Man, you keep on generalizing. its only 3 Billion people no harm done, heh.

Soruce: Also been to India, Malaysia, Singapore, Japan, South Korea, Germany, Sri Lanka, Hong kong... and the US, and yup never heard anyone driving past yelling a racial slur like the US does.
edit on 7/17/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Having lived in South America for several years I can tell you that what this study considers to be racism is skewed. India is an obvious choice of vitriol as their caste system is an ingrained part of their society - but is this race hating? In Brazil and Argentina (same percentage of "racism" as the US) there is most certainly a caste system that is not acknowledge as such but is just as prevalent. Any indigenous peoples are considered to be "less than" and daily are subjected to racist bs. Measuring the most and least racist countries is almost impossible but yes there are a few that stand out. I wonder though, using India as the example, is class and religion considered "race", because that is what causes most of the hate.

Also, because the US has 320 million people, if 10% of them are racist as an example, doesn't that make it more racists than Italy that has 15% racists? There are more of them in the US due to sheer size but it's worth the thought.

CJ
edit on 17-7-2013 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tykonos

Racism will always be there in society until we reach a level in human evolution where we merge into one race. That's a long way off and maybe if we're deep space travelling and 'off Earth dwelling' by then, we'll evolve into another racial bracket of human.

False.
Racism exist because of the fact that people lost their true personal identities, they do not know who they are, hence it's easy for them to label other people with racist remarks.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join