It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ivy League Professor Claims God Is a Racist (Zimmerman Trial is Proof)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Ivy League Professor Claims God Is a Racist (Zimmerman Trial is Proof)

An Ivy League professor blogged after George Zimmerman was found not guilty of murdering Trayvon Martin that the verdict shows God is a “white racist” who stalks “young black men.”

Anthea Butler, an associate professor at the University of Pennsylvania's Department of Religious Studies, made the unusual comments in a blog post released on Monday on ReligionDispatches.org, where she is a regular contributor.

“God ain’t good all of the time. In fact, sometimes, God is not for us,” she wrote in the post. “As a black woman in an [sic] nation that has taken too many pains to remind me that I am not a white man, and am not capable of taking care of my reproductive rights, or my voting rights, I know that this American god ain’t my god. “As a matter of fact, I think he’s a white racist god with a problem. More importantly, he is carrying a gun and stalking young black men,” she added

So ... is she right? Is God a white racist with a problem? Or is she the one with a problem?
Or is she only half right ... God has a problem but he's not anti-black, he's really anti-humanity?
Considering how many people, of all races, are suffering on the planet, that could be.
Seems this woman has turned a blind eye to the sufferings of people of all races, not just her own.
Or is it something else?

ATS ... is God racist .... does he have a problem ... or are we just not seeing his greater plan?

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Sometimes I wonder how people ever got jobs in academia. This woman seems angry and at the moment wrote a terrible angry rant for the Zimmerman case.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Gods a racist? She has no rights?

How the hell did she become and Ivy League professor then?

The ignorance that comes out of some people's mouths is astonishing.
Who the hell with an education talks like that?

Eat: more to your question. If you do believe in a god and he was anti-humanity would we still be here? I don't think so.(No stating if I do or don't believe in a God)
edit on 17-7-2013 by Isittruee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Note that she said "this American God".

A curious statement, considering the ramification of such a thought.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Blasphemy.Religeous scholar my arse.This woman is not a Christian.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawg61

She is a professor in religious studies. I don't think you have to be a Christian to teach religious studies. personally I see her as an ignorant person and shouldn't be a professor of anything.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Well I think the fact that she specifically said "this american god" speaks volumes for the point she was trying to make, or maybe the point I'd want her to be trying to make.

the "god" that American's apparently worship bares little resemblance to the god of the new testament. No, he's about as happy go lucky as the god from the old testament.

Racist? No. Sure, racial profiling probably started the whole encounter, but it sure didn't play much into the rest of it. Zimmerman would have been found guilty without supporting evidence if the entire thing was based on race. There simply wasn't enough evidence for a murder conviction, not even manslaughter which is what I was betting on.

I'm not saying racism doesn't exist anymore. It sure as hell does. I'm white, I'm a male, I won't beat around the bush pretending that doesn't give me advantages, it certainly does. But I can't control that. I can't make people feel differently about me because of the color of my skin.

I'm more concerned that a professor, someone charged with teaching and molding minds, actually believes in a god and that he has any direct control over anything. I find that more alarming than the content of her statement.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Isittruee
If you do believe in a god and he was anti-humanity would we still be here? I don't think so.

Good point. If God hated people, He/She/It could just wipe us out with a single thought.
Or maybe she thinks God is sadistic? Keep them around and play with them in ways that
aren't exactly 'nice'?? God is a little kid with a magnifying glass and we are the 'ants'??

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   

I don't want to live on a planet with some of these idiots anymore.

With a mentality like that, it's no surprise the lack of true education in the youth today.
This entire "victim" persona is a bit played out and very telling.
I'm sure she struggled so hard in life to become an Ivy League professor.
Way to be a role model.

First world problems...

edit on 17-7-2013 by havok because: reasoning

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawg61

Blasphemy.Religeous scholar my arse.This woman is not a Christian.

Now see what you did there? Religion isn't Christianity, you know... Christianity is but ONE religion in a multiverse of religions. In fact, to be a true religious scholar, you'd pretty much have to be of a secular mind, how exactly can you study all religions equally while subscribing to one that forces you to ignore the others?

You CAN'T be a christian and believe in any other religion. Ok, you can if you actually knew anything about Christianity. You'd know it was directly linked to Islam and Judaism. You'd know that you are basically all worshiping the same god, just changing the message, and some of the messengers.

But the fact remains, if you are a Christian, Christianity is the one true religion, the christian "god" is the one true god, and all other religions are false. How could you possibly give those other religions an unbiased study?

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Note that she said "this American God".
A curious statement, considering the ramification of such a thought.

LOTS of ramifications ... eh? That statement alone could fill dozens of pages at ATS in discussion. And it makes me wonder who HER God is. She alludes to different Gods for different nations. So Who is her God (if she has one) and what nation does her God favor ... and why??

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

I'm sure she struggled so hard in life to become an Ivy League professor.

If you don't think that Black woman had to work twice as hard to get where she is than her white counterpart, you've lost touch with society and reality.

clearly she made it, but she more than likely had to work harder.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   

LOTS of ramifications ... eh? That statement alone could fill dozens of pages at ATS in discussion. And it makes me wonder who HER God is. She alludes to different Gods for different nations. So Who is her God (if she has one) and what nation does her God favor ... and why??

The American god, read Christian, bares little resemblance to any gods, including christian, worshipped outside of the US.

Hell, you want to meet the american god take a spin down to the bible belt and stop for a chat, you'll see what I'm talking about.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix267
reply to post by TDawg61

She is a professor in religious studies. I don't think you have to be a Christian to teach religious studies. personally I see her as an ignorant person and shouldn't be a professor of anything.
You are correct she doesnt have to be a Christian for her post but she does have to have knowledge of many religons.I had a phlosophy professor who didnt believe in astrology yet knew all the signs,dates and characteristics of the different signs.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Anything with both the words GOD and PROOF in them, shall not get my opinions cast upon it. Regardless of their order.

Briles

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
If you don't think that Black woman had to work twice as hard to get where she is than her white counterpart, you've lost touch with society and reality.

clearly she made it, but she more than likely had to work harder.

Really?
You're gonna make this about race?

Good grief phishy, she apparently didn't struggle much harder than any other person to become an Ivy League professor. Everyone no matter the color of their skin has a tough time getting that prestige?

I'm out of touch with reality?

get real.

edit on 17-7-2013 by havok because: bb code

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   

When I read the 'American God' statement, I was reminded of the Gott Mit Uns which had been embossed on the helmets of Germany's WWI soldiers and again repeated on WWII belt buckles.

God obviously wasn't on their side in either conflict.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
If you don't think that Black woman had to work twice as hard to get where she is than her white counterpart, you've lost touch with society and reality..

I think you are assuming way too much. There is racism against people of ALL the different races ... black, white, brown, asian, whatever. At the same time, not everyone experiences racism. THIS woman clearly sees the world in racial tones ... and she probably teaches from that 'place' where she is .... which is rather sad.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
It would seem even the ivy league bar has been dropped a few feet.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   

The "Nutty Professor" seems to be on the same educational/intellectual level as Rachel Jeantel - actually I think Rachel has it all over the crackpot prof.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join