They were White and They were Slaves

page: 15
136
<< 12  13  14   >>

log in

join

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Everyone should read, "How Nations Fail," by Daron Acemoglu and James Robinson. And while the book itself is a bigger topic than this thread, the first chapters deal with the colonial nature of the Americas. You'll read about how colonists came to northern America expecting to use the same model for enslaving the locals as they did in Southern America, and how they failed. That failure led to a change in their model for colonization, which then led to indentured servitude in many forms, and the inability to control that slavery is what in the end led to our democratization. It puts it all in a very unique and clear perspective. In no way does this diminish what was done to Africans, only, you realize that our past was very dirty and we're just lucky that progressive values have led us to better ways and better days.

www.amazon.com...




posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus
 





it seems the Democrats still think they own blacks, and minorities too. All one has to do is look at the what the Democrats and the media did to Herman Cain during the GOP primaries. Tea Partiers are not allowed to support a candidate with zero white ancestry without Democrats suggesting it's just for show.


Come on Herman Cain and West are dunces as to the entire 2012 line-up it got nothing to do with skin..Jon Huntsman, Jr. was the most sensible choice but you guys are so hard core to the right that you ran him off and kept the crazies.

As far as the Dems owning minorities yes they do so for now throw in Gays and women in that mix,they perceive the GOP as hostile to their interest..step back a take a really good look at the 2012 line-up and ask yourself did you really really want any of those folks running your country???.

I would like a third party option like the Greens or something the (Dems are almost as corrupt as the Reps) the Tea Party is just the militant arm of the GOP.
edit on 20-7-2013 by Spider879 because: clean up



posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Very interesting vid Atlantic Jihad,didn't realized that slave raids from Africa went as far north as Iceland,mentioned also was Murat Ries a Christian Danish slave turned Turk or Muslim that became one of the most notorious Barbary pirates leading slave raid in Europe he was one of many who Turned Turk or Moor that did this sometimes out of work European sailors would find their way to Africa convert to Islam and spear head slave raids back in their former homeland ,his descendant from his Moroccan wife would include Humphrey Bogart and Jacquelyn Kennedy.

Note the use of the term Turk was just a catch all term used to described anyone from the eastern lands not that they were Turks in the ethnic sense, although much of those lands were under nominal control of the Ottoman Turks the Irony is that the people who were once Vikings were notorious slavers themselves in their pre Christian era.

The Viking Slave Trade:



The practice of slavery by vikings in Ireland can similarly be interpreted in two ways;it was a trade already well established in medieval Ireland and Britain in which Scandinavian entrepreneurs played no worse a role, or it can be argued that there was something strikingly abhorrent about the scale and nature of the vikings’ acquisition and sale of human cargo. We have a rich body of evidence for viking slavery in Ireland which can be brought into this debate.





Political alliances between vikings and Irish are recorded in annals from the 840s. In the tenth and eleventh centuries we
hear of Irish kings gathering captives as the booty of war, presumably, so that they too could profit from the burgeoning slave markets established in Ireland’s major ports

www.scribd.com...
edit on 20-7-2013 by Spider879 because: Add more info



posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
We are all still slaves. ALL the slave owners have just teamed up, exited stage left, and the whole N.AM and S.AM are the plantation.

Slave:
fed
clothed
sheltered

Now:
we are paid money to then pay for these things to the descendants of the slave owners above, then, somehow it all trickles back to them.. and we are forced to work for them another day.. and again...and again.



posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Does this make you feel better about yourself OP?



posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by OchoCinco
Does this make you feel better about yourself OP?


completely over your head.

the point is for other people to feel better, realizing they weren't the "only slaves".

shame ------> gone

feelings from this shame that can manifest into self destructive nature --------->gone



posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by HanzHenry

Originally posted by OchoCinco
Does this make you feel better about yourself OP?


completely over your head.

the point is for other people to feel better, realizing they weren't the "only slaves".

shame ------> gone

feelings from this shame that can manifest into self destructive nature --------->gone


I don't think most slave descendants feel shame that their most recent ancestors were slaves,they/we for the most part embraced that part of our collective experience,for within that era are many stories of triumph over extreme adversity and survival techniques that would cause other folks to disappear.. however we are concerned that's what many folks believe is the extent of our entire story.

Another thing a lot folks of Euro-American decent had been led to believe that their ancestors could never have been slaves this gave rise to a certain amount of smugness viewing themselves as some type of Master Race not to be seen as having anything in common with so called dark slave races, when all it is was induced amnesia..by Mr Big Btw pre Communist Russia was one big slave plantation that gave rise to Communism as a reaction.
The O.P is on point bringing this issue to light it have the effect of making many here reexamine their own family history if not ethnic ones.

I should add poverty mixed with generations of inequality concentrated in ghettos that feeds off itself is the cause of self destructive behavior among poorer AAs, that behavior is not reflected in middle and upper class AAs the Black poor is concentrated not spread out as in the case of Whites.
edit on 24-7-2013 by Spider879 because: Add more info



posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by UnifiedSerenity
 


IRead the book 'White Gold' that is about English villages being taken away into slavery for a long time. SLabvery was never about only race. I feel for any people who have suffered slavery, but I do find it odd how in America so many people go crazy about the plantations ans African slaves etc when really pretty much all people through history have suffered slavery, from Romans, to Egyptions, to Chinese. Britains, Slovaks, I could just list every nation/people who have existed really!

It's more about rich and poor, or conquerers vs the conquered. I never got why people feircely go crazy about the American slave trade as if it hadn't happened to anyone else before.



posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry
 


I agree with you to a certain extent in principle, but I think you are trivialising the suffering of people who had to experience real slavery. Having their famlies murdered in front of them, to then be taken away to be sold into forced prostitution or to labour until you dead from exhaustion and malniutrition. Please don't pretend that is the same as the luxury lifestyle we enjoy today despite all the freedoms we still are fighting for.



posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jadette
Everyone should read, "How Nations Fail," by Daron Acemoglu and James Robinson. And while the book itself is a bigger topic than this thread, the first chapters deal with the colonial nature of the Americas. You'll read about how colonists came to northern America expecting to use the same model for enslaving the locals as they did in Southern America, and how they failed. That failure led to a change in their model for colonization, which then led to indentured servitude in many forms, and the inability to control that slavery is what in the end led to our democratization. It puts it all in a very unique and clear perspective. In no way does this diminish what was done to Africans, only, you realize that our past was very dirty and we're just lucky that progressive values have led us to better ways and better days.

www.amazon.com...


Amazing book,would definitely suggest reading it.



posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by clintdelicious
reply to post by UnifiedSerenity
 


IRead the book 'White Gold' that is about English villages being taken away into slavery for a long time. SLabvery was never about only race. I feel for any people who have suffered slavery, but I do find it odd how in America so many people go crazy about the plantations ans African slaves etc when really pretty much all people through history have suffered slavery, from Romans, to Egyptions, to Chinese. Britains, Slovaks, I could just list every nation/people who have existed really!

It's more about rich and poor, or conquerers vs the conquered. I never got why people feircely go crazy about the American slave trade as if it hadn't happened to anyone else before.



Two things 1st the scale was massive this was among the greatest migration of Black folks in history second only to the great Bantu migration in Africa and certainly the greatest forced migration in history,the result.. in places like Brazil they have the most African descendant folks outside Africa,the Caribbean both north and south American main land is peopled with such folks.although modified by European and Native American genetic contributions..2nd it was the latest of such slavery in the case of Brazil ending about 1888,like I had mentioned before I know people who had met persons born in slavery,so the memory is relatively fresh.
edit on 27-7-2013 by Spider879 because: fixing



new topics
top topics
 
136
<< 12  13  14   >>

log in

join


ATS Live Reality Remix IS ON-AIR! (there are 8 minutes remaining).
ATS Live Radio Presents - Reality Remix Live - SE4 EP5

atslive.com

hi-def

low-def