It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They were White and They were Slaves

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by HairlessApe

But didn't they also look down on blacks during that time? Didn't they target mostly blacks during the Detroit Race Riot 1863 when they were angry about the military draft?

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by rockybaby33
reply to post by LUXUS

no one in this entire country knows when someone is being racially profiled BETTER than a black person

I think Native Americans might have an issue with that statement.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Baddguy

But didn't they also look down on blacks during that time? Didn't they target mostly blacks during the Detroit Race Riot 1863 when they were angry about the military draft?

And that makes their plights less meaningful? Besides that, do you really think all blacks thought of everyone else as their equal throughout their history?

Didn't black (skin color) pirates raid coastal cities in Ireland centuries ago and turn their captives, especially the women, into their slaves?

Let's not play the blame game. Your ancestor's plight is no worse than that of my ancestors. I recognize neither of our ethnic backgrounds were treated well in ancient times - but the only appropriate action at this time is to let the past remain in the past.
edit on 18-7-2013 by HairlessApe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by HairlessApe

And that makes their plights less meaningful? Besides that, do you really think all blacks thought of everyone else as their equal throughout their history?

Didn't black (skin color) pirates raid coastal cities in Ireland centuries ago and turn their captives, especially the women, into their slaves?

Let's not play the blame game. Your ancestor's plight is no worse than that of my ancestors. I recognize neither of our ethnic backgrounds were treated well in ancient times - but the only appropriate action at this time is to let the past remain in the past.

Exactly,denigrating another peoples plight in comparisons to another isn't right white or black,I think we can all agree that slavery was not and is not a good thing.

People always looking at the past and failing to see the present,with over 30m slaves worldwide today would not the human race benefit more from ones efforts being focused on helping these poor souls?

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorChaos

They could easily do the same thing that the Irish had to do, and integrate. They choose to be separate. The Irish do the same thing to a degree, there are plenty (or were) of Irish neighborhoods in the major cities all over the country, they chose to stick together as much as possible in this Anglo society. There are plenty of racist remnants of days gone by: the 'Paddy' Wagon, for one. All Irish are heavy drinkers for another, and don't get me started on potatoes, corn-beef and cabbage, or the slur 'Mick' (I'm of Irish descent, so don't try to berate me for it; the Blacks can say their words, so I can say ours).. The Irish have managed to integrate themselves extremely well over time, and skin color isn't the reason why; they have managed to do so because they have learned to let it go, after all, the Black community gets an entire month for their history, while the Irish get a single day and the Irish celebrate it, they don't complain about it not being enough due to the sins of the past.

This is among the most misinformed post on the subject first the Irish built Tammany Hall and angle for political power and jobs through the hook or the crook,they took over law enforcement and fire dept in east coast cities where they all but block anyone else from those jobs for decades to come, and while the Irish had it bad they could anglicized themselves to the point of not being notice,no such options for Blacks,no matter how anglicized you were you were still visibly black,or unless you were extremely lite-skinned and could pass for white and kept your family history and link a secret.

Blacks were largely stripped of political muscle, in the south forget it any talk of integration would simply get you killed,in the north they just ran you out the neighborhood as late as the 80ts it was not uncommon in so-called Liberal northern cities to wake-up to a cross burning on your lawn.in a White neighborhood.
But like the Irish did before they kept organizing and building a political base at first around civil rights issues through organizations like the NAACP and the like, others saw no point in trying to integrate so they formed Back to Africa movements mainly the Garveyites and religious ones like the Nation Of Islam ,some built economic and educational institutions like the Tuskegee Institute established by Booker T. Washington a predecessor for all later historical black colleges, white higher centers of learning was a big no no even in the North.
Biggest laugh of all.. begrudging Blacks for a measly month.. you wanna know why it was created by Carter G Woodson In 1926?? because absolutely nothing was being taught about the history and contributions by Black folks in this country in their own segregated schools,but get one month out of the year and you cry foul..all the other 11 month is dedicated to..well white folk history and accomplishments but so normal and common place it is you really don't think of it as White history you just think of it as history,attempts to remedy the status quo through multiculturalism derided as divisive by hostile forces.

“If you can control a man's thinking you do not have to worry about his action. When you determine what a man shall think you do not have to concern yourself about what he will do. If you make a man feel that he is inferior, you do not have to compel him to accept an inferior status, for he will seek it himself. If you make a man think that he is justly an outcast, you do not have to order him to the back door. He will go without being told; and if there is no back door, his very nature will demand one.” ― Carter G. Woodson, The Mis-Education of the Negro
www.goodreads.com...

edit on 18-7-2013 by Spider879 because: clean-up

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Spider879

Damn Spider, you know your (explicit).

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by canDarian

reply to post by LUXUS

no one in this entire country knows when someone is being racially profiled BETTER than a black person

Fair enough!!!! No one had it as bad as the indians. We enslaved africans. We exterminated the native population in the US.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by artemisminion

Originally posted by canDarian

reply to post by LUXUS

Fair enough!!!! No one had it as bad as the indians. We enslaved africans. We exterminated the native population in the US.

Who's "we?"

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
This has descended into a 'my grandma had a harder life than your grandma' conversation.

Do you not see? There is only one thing that unites us ALL in the past and more relevantly at his present time, that we have all been and all ARE slaves to a corrupt, blood sucking, merciless system.

The vast majority of people on this planet live in abject poverty. The purpose of the majority of these people is to slave as a wage slave or as a literal slave for a tiny percentage of uber rich persons.

As long as you allow the past to divide you, YOU will always be slaves in the very place that really matters, your mind.

I had a wonderful social studies teacher a long, long time ago. She said that one day, maybe in our lifetimes our freedoms would possibly be taken away from us. The only place we would still be free would be in our own minds. In our own minds we need to recognise our EQUALITY in the present, and that is as physical slaves working to pay back all that we earn just to survive. Vitually every human lives an illusion of freedom when infact we ARE slaves.

Why argue about the past when your problem is NOW?

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Your the one playing games sir ...I asked you about actions of the Irish during race riots and you tell me about Pirates

the plight of the Irish slaves and black slaves went two different directions..

my question again is When did Irish slaves become free and considered white? if the plight was the same why weren't the Irish and blacks working together? When did the split happen?? why didn't the Irish go through American Civil rights movements with blacks because that was an end result of slavery

but the only appropriate action at this time is to let the past remain in the past.

i disagree..the appropriate action at this time is to understand what happened and heal it.

find the problem, understand the problem, fix the problem... not, problem, "forget about it and move on"

edit on 18-7-2013 by Baddguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Your the one playing games sir ...I asked you about actions of the Irish during race riots and you tell me about Pirates

the plight of the Irish slaves and black slaves went two different directions..

my question again is When did Irish slaves become free and considered white? if the plight was the same why weren't the Irish and blacks working together? When did the split happen?? why didn't the Irish go through American Civil rights movements with blacks because that was an end result of slavery

but the only appropriate action at this time is to let the past remain in the past.

i disagree..the appropriate action at this time is to understand what happened and heal it.

find the problem, understand the problem, fix the problem... not, problem, "forget about it and move on"

We have to acknowledge the past, but we cannot dwell on it. Whats done is done, it cannot be changed.
But the future is ours if we just step up to take responsibility for our own lives. It can be achieved without violence. But probably wont. But whoever draws the first blood automatically loses. Non violence in the face of adversity is one of the most powerful and compelling messages to send to the people in the world that do care, but need a nudge from time to time to realise it. It worked for Ghandi and it was working for MLK until they took him out.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

There isn't much more that can be done that hasn't already been done,if as a people you refuse to allow a terrible wound to heal and instead opt to tear a scab off time and time again then this reciprocal conversation will go on in perpetuity.

Like it or not there comes a time when people must let it go and move on lest you be forever looking to the past whilst neglecting the future.

There I said it...And so did OneManArmy lol
edit on 18-7-2013 by canDarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by OneManArmy

yea man and i agree but were not gonna bring up a topic about the past and then when i delve into the past, respond by telling me to forget the past..

and in honesty the forget the past thing hasnt been working all that great

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spider879

But like the Irish did before they kept organizing and building a political base at first around civil rights issues through organizations like the NAACP and the like,

Actually, 6 of the nine people responsible for the forming of the NAACP were white.

And as for your Tammany remark, that's a little bit of the pot calling the kettle black, don't you think? Are we not seeing nearly the exact same thing with today's "community organizers" (or, as I like to call them, Race-Baiters) like Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson among others?

They wield far more power over the entire country, just as corruptly as Tammany, which was primarily regional in size and hardly as influential.

I stand by my post wholeheartedly.

edit on 7/18/2013 by ProfessorChaos because: typo

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spider879

This is among the most misinformed post on the subject first the Irish built Tammany Hall and angle for political power and jobs through the hook or the crook,they took over law enforcement and fire dept in east coast cities where they all but block anyone else from those jobs for decades to come

You make excellent points, but I would like to point out that blacks are doing the exact same thing today. If you look up the percentage of black employees for instance at post office, you will see they seem to be a much higher percentage than their population. It's as if only blacks need apply. In fact, in Canada in a newspaper advertisement it flat out said, "whites need not apply".

I do believe there was a time where quota's were fair just to get blacks into jobs like fireman, police, or other government positions because they were simply not allowed to go into those jobs. But, we have passed the time where affirmative action and quota's are necessary to get a job or promotion. I cannot tell you have many jobs I have applied for where I was vastly more qualified and was the only white applicant and I didn't even get the courtesy of a call back or a call telling me someone else was chosen. As a white person, when I go into a large business like Comcast and everyone working the front office is black, I wonder if no white people need a job there or if no white people are allowed to get a job there. When they get this immigration bill passed you are going to see the blacks hit hardest when Latino's who don't have to be considered under Obamacare get all the jobs and the black unemployment which is already outrageous goes even higher.

I truly believe in let the best qualified person get the job or promotion. On the Blaze, they have a story about a guy who was eminently qualified for a tech job didn't get a single call for an interview for four months and he could not figure out what the problem was. He examined his resume over and over and then he finally spotted something and put in two letters and bingo, he got a call, had an interview and got the job. What were those two letters? "Mr." was what he added. His first name was Kim and obviously no woman need apply. Until we deal with the injustices, stop expecting special treatment, we will never heal. I wish there were no names allowed on resumes, promotion exams, college entrance exams. You just get assigned a number through some registry, and the best candidates are chosen.

Blacks were largely stripped of political muscle, in the south forget it any talk of integration would simply get you killed,in the north they just ran you out the neighborhood as late as the 80ts it was not uncommon in so-called Liberal northern cities to wake-up to a cross burning on your lawn.in a White neighborhood.
But like the Irish did before they kept organizing and building a political base at first around civil rights issues through organizations like the NAACP and the like, others saw no point in trying to integrate so they formed Back to Africa movements mainly the Garveyites and religious ones like the Nation Of Islam ,some built economic and educational institutions like the Tuskegee Institute established by Booker T. Washington a predecessor for all later historical black colleges, white higher centers of learning was a big no no even in the North.

Biggest laugh of all.. begrudging Blacks for a measly month.. you wanna know why it was created by Carter G Woodson In 1926?? because absolutely nothing was being taught about the history and contributions by Black folks in this country in their own segregated schools,but get one month out of the year and you cry foul..all the other 11 month is dedicated to..well white folk history and accomplishments but so normal and common place it is you really don't think of it as White history you just think of it as history,attempts to remedy the status quo through multiculturalism derided as divisive by hostile forces.

I have no problem with banding together with like minded people to have your voice heard and pulling money together to build whatever, but let's be honest. Though you were not addressing it, it think it is a tie-in issue. White and black culture is different. Neither is necessarily better, but different. You know there would be a cry of foul if whites showed their pride in having a WET (white entertainment television), White Ms. America, NAAWP, or a White Chamber of Commerce. Why that's racism. All these things that separate us lead to more feelings of rejection. What if I want to reach out to black businesses and join their group? Nope, Whites and conservative blacks need not apply. The NAACP rejected conservative blacks who wanted a booth this year AGAIN. So, they are not for the advancement of all blacks, just those they agree with. So sad this division.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   

yea man and i agree but were not gonna bring up a topic about the past and then when i delve into the past, respond by telling me to forget the past..

Yes, but the reason it hasnt worked is because people cannot forget the past.
I made a realisation a few weeks ago, I am the boss of my own destiny. Im a musician, my whole life has been a struggle, I saw music as my way out of my problem, I got pretty damn good at producing music, it is in fact through music that I now associate with a lot of Jamaicans, it was an eye opener for me at first. It was the first time I experienced black on white racism. When I first joined the studio I would hear what people were saying, it was often nasty and based purely in ignorance for example "the white boy"

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Many's the hapless drunk who woke up only to start throwing up again, only much worse this second time around! This time the never to be forgotten nausea was now combined with that brought on by the rolling motion of the British Navy warship, whose crew members would wait outside dockside taverns for any unfortunate souls who had been imbibing a tad too much. These ships' "press gangs" didn't care if any of their victims had families, nor did the officers who as soon as the gang returned with the new recruits, ordered the vessel to set sail as soon as the tide allowed, and hopefully before the new additions to His/Her Majesty's Service and figured out where they were, and the source of the large "goose eggs" they now sported atop their heads.
Not only was this form of slavery one of the harshest imaginable for the new crew members, it was hell on the families of those who happened to have one. Most of the families were poor to begin with, but without the bread winner, it wasn't long before they were forced to live on the street, and in most cases the families just assumed the father had taken off. I almost forgot to mention that by far, most of those kidnapped and their newly destitute families were white. There weren't many blacks in Britain in those days.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by OneManArmy

Yes, but the reason it hasnt worked is because people cannot forget the past.
I made a realisation a few weeks ago, I am the boss of my own destiny. Im a musician, my whole life has been a struggle, I saw music as my way out of my problem, I got pretty damn good at producing music, it is in fact through music that I now associate with a lot of Jamaicans, it was an eye opener for me at first. It was the first time I experienced black on white racism. When I first joined the studio I would hear what people were saying, it was often nasty and based purely in ignorance for example "the white boy"

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by rockybaby33

There are lots of white people killed but you dont hear about them as much or it doesn't linger in the air as long because they are white.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join