It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Race. We must talk about it, but we can't. Help, please?

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedog1973

Everyone is as easily brainswashed, but open racism has a power of its own. That is no longer socially accepted, whether it sill goes on or not.

People today are more brainwashed than any in history! Look how damn stupid this 'race' garbage is getting today!!! Look who is teaching our children!!!!

Zimmerman verdict shows God is a 'white racist,' Ivy League prof says

"God ain't good all of the time. In fact, sometimes, God is not for us," Anthea Butler, of the University of Pennsylvania's Department of Religious Studies, wrote Monday in a blog post on ReligionDispatches.org. "As a black woman in [a] nation that has taken too many pains to remind me that I am not a white man, and am not capable of taking care of my reproductive rights, or my voting rights, I know that this American god ain't my god." Then she dropped the bomb: "As a matter of fact, I think he's a white racist god with a problem." The University of Pennsylvania has declined to comment on Butler's revelation of God's race and personal, uh, foibles.

I'm starting to believe that the biggest race-baiters in this country suffer from some form of mental illness.

edit on 18-7-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Many young people have friends and genuine friends of all ethnicities, colours and backgrounds. There is also a lot of cross over between there grounds i.e. areas and groups which were previously mainly white, black Hispanic etc now contain a mix of people from other groups.

This is likely to do with schooling and a generally more liberal attitude held by younger people in general.

First of all, every young person is liberal until they mature.

As far as your problem with older generation, I judge everyone based on their individual actions rather than race, religion, nationality, etc. I treat everyone with respect yet I’ll probably be called a racist for this post even though it’s the truth.

In US we have the United Negro College Fund, Martin Luther King Day, Black History Month, Cesar Chavez Day, the NAACP, Congressional Black Caucus, BET, Black Chamber of Commerce, Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, over 60 all black colleges, etc. There are tons of organizations that exclude white people, yet if white people did the same thing we’d be called racists. There is a huge double standard in this country and the people benefiting from it are the biggest complainers today!!

What are we to do? Why is race still an issue? Like I suggested in my first post on this thread, how about we (especially the younger generations) STOP talking about race for a while and maybe we'll find there is no big problem! Maybe if we stop buying into the narrative that the country is so unfair we can simply live together as Americans.

You are not paying attention. Let me explain:

I didn't say I had a problem with older people did I? Why did you read that into my words? I'll explain again: Racism needs to die out and will with the older generation. Do you understand how this means older racists and not older people in general?

If this is how you begin to misread my words, then you are going to run into further problems. I truly don't mind having a discussion, but a discussion on what is said otherwise its pointless.

Again, in your 60 college statement, you fail to even address the reasons why they exist in the first place. Do you know why? And are you claiming that the reasons why they exist are no longer relevant? If so, where is your evidence?

This is not racism and shows your lack of understanding of what the word means, outlined in one of my previous posts. In answer to your question of whether white colleges would be called racist if they did the same, then of course. Do you even know why?

Stopping talking about race is a foolish idea. You don't put out a fire by ignoring it. In fact it is likely to burn more. The answer is people like yourself, who first of all, misread a static post, then talk in ignorance ought to talk only upon things they have knowledge. This is how ignorance is stopped and ignorance is the cause of racism.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Everyone is as easily brainswashed, but open racism has a power of its own. That is no longer socially accepted, whether it sill goes on or not.

People today are more brainwashed than any in history! Look how damn stupid this 'race' garbage is getting today!!! Look who is teaching our children!!!!

Zimmerman verdict shows God is a 'white racist,' Ivy League prof says

"God ain't good all of the time. In fact, sometimes, God is not for us," Anthea Butler, of the University of Pennsylvania's Department of Religious Studies, wrote Monday in a blog post on ReligionDispatches.org. "As a black woman in [a] nation that has taken too many pains to remind me that I am not a white man, and am not capable of taking care of my reproductive rights, or my voting rights, I know that this American god ain't my god." Then she dropped the bomb: "As a matter of fact, I think he's a white racist god with a problem." The University of Pennsylvania has declined to comment on Butler's revelation of God's race and personal, uh, foibles.

I'm starting to believe that the biggest race-baiters in this country suffer from some form of mental illness.

I think thats a fair statement to make from her perspective. God and power has been used to oppress others. This is probably one of the most easiest things to fact check and its ongoing. But thats the problem, if you can't put yourself in another's shoes, then you cannot see a problem. Refusing to even make an attempt just compounds it.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

I didn't say I had a problem with older people did I? Why did you read that into my words? I'll explain again: Racism needs to die out and will with the older generation. Do you understand how this means older racists and not older people in general?

I understood you, dude!

You think racism will die out with the older generations. I’m pointing out that it’s the younger generations who are stoking the flames today!!! The talk of racism is sensationalized more today than any time in my lifetime!

Again, in your 60 college statement, you fail to even address the reasons why they exist in the first place. Do you know why? And are you claiming that the reasons why they exist are no longer relevant? If so, where is your evidence?

Of course there is no need for it!! If you want racism to go away then we should stop allowing segregation and racial grouping. That is OLDSCHOOL, man, and you advocate it!!

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

I understood you, dude!

You think racism will die out with the older generations. I’m pointing out that it’s the younger generations who are stoking the flames today!!! The talk of racism is sensationalized more today than any time in my lifetime!

Of course there is no need for it!! If you want racism to go away then we should stop allowing segregation and racial grouping. That is OLDSCHOOL, man, and you advocate it!!

I don't know where you are basing this from. From the internet? When you are talking of racism what kind of racism are you talking about. From black to white? Ethnicities mix more than ever socially. This is simple fact. In older generations, racism was tolerated, in some instances legal and openly practised. You can change a law but not necessarily have a similar effect upon people's hearts. Time will change that.

Your suggestion that positive discrimination is oldschool implies there is no longer any need. Further, that it fires the flames of racism. In whom and why? I am a man and am aware that there are female only groups in all areas, including jobs. I have no problem with that as I understand why. Any man who does have a problem with it, actually has a problem himself. Claiming that it would make him even more sexist is a feeble excuse as is the one you present.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Heck she couldn't care less what God thinks anyway.

These days and to a lot of people, its the pot cooking blacks that cant get along with whites more than the other way around......and they want the rest of the blacks to follow their reasoning. And to have some "white" guy stand up for himself! Oh they just cant have that. Blacks only have what they have because whitey has been beaten down.

They don't want to see or cant see the efforts whites have made, knowing its the right thing to do, in their part to end prejudice. They want to see any concessions made by whites as the result of fear and intimidation.

In addition they don't want to admit that to many blacks live up to the stereotype. That black culture has come to accept murder as routine for example. That jails and prisons being full of black men may be a black cultural phenomenon and not a symptom of "disparities". Or that "white" gun shows out in the suburbs are to blame for blacks getting weapons and killing each other.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I don't know where you are basing this from. From the internet? When you are talking of racism what kind of racism are you talking about. From black to white?
Absolutely; Black to white, brown to white, etc.

White to black racism is much better today than any time in our history.

What difference does it make anyway? Racism is Racism!

Ethnicities mix more than ever socially. This is simple fact. In older generations, racism was tolerated, in some instances legal and openly practised. You can change a law but not necessarily have a similar effect upon people's hearts. Time will change that.

But it won’t! How old are you? It doesn’t seem you have any perspective if you believe the younger generation is going to operate much differently.

Your suggestion that positive discrimination is oldschool implies there is no longer any need. Further, that it fires the flames of racism. In whom and why? I am a man and am aware that there are female only groups in all areas, including jobs. I have no problem with that as I understand why. Any man who does have a problem with it, actually has a problem himself. Claiming that it would make him even more sexist is a feeble excuse as is the one you present.

There is no need for this crap. The more we spotlight our differences, the more we bump heads. Why can’t we just be Americans or humans? Why the need to identify and segregate based on race or gender?

If that is the idea of the new, smarter generations then we’re doomed!

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   

I don't know where you are basing this from. From the internet? When you are talking of racism what kind of racism are you talking about. From black to white?
Absolutely; Black to white, brown to white, etc. White to black racism is much better today than any time in our history.

What difference does it make anyway? Racism is Racism!

I thought so. The difference it makes is your narrative. If you are suggesting that black or brown on white racism is in any way comparable to white on black, then you need an education. Racism is about power. A poor man's disdain for a rich man, has far less impact than the opposite. You are essentially suggesting that they are the same and further, that the poor man's insults are now in the ascendancy.

Ethnicities mix more than ever socially. This is simple fact. In older generations, racism was tolerated, in some instances legal and openly practised. You can change a law but not necessarily have a similar effect upon people's hearts. Time will change that.

But it won’t! How old are you? It doesn’t seem you have any perspective if you believe the younger generation is going to operate much differently.

What difference does it make what age I am? Why ask? Perhaps you should venture outside your bubble and see how the world has changed. Are you disputing that young people intermingle more?

There is no need for this crap. The more we spotlight our differences, the more we bump heads. Why can’t we just be Americans or humans? Why the need to identify and segregate based on race or gender?

Your statement is only based upon your opinion. With all due respect, its just your opinion. The more people spotlight differences, the greater understanding that is had. That is simple fact. Why? Because without spotlighting differences you cannot see similarities, ignoring either promotes the status quo. With a closed minded society, racism would still be legal, discrimination open, white racists in ascendancy. Now they are in decline because their mantra is no longer sustainable. With examination of differences, came a greater understanding.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Hi charles.

You and I could probably talk about race all day - till the cows come home and leave again. Because when I express my opinion, you don't slam me into a "group" and label me as "the enemy". And when you express your opinion, I don't take it personally and assume it means that you disrespect me. We don't call each other names, or make assumptions about each other and we don't do our best to make each other "wrong".

That's why we (you and I) can talk. But in my experience, that is not the case most of the time here on ATS. I haven't read the rest of the thread, and I may be proven wrong, but I'm thinking most of the posts are defending and "proving" their opinions and positions instead of listening and hearing those of others. There's probably lots of blame and insults thrown around and it's probably a lot of white people patting each other on the back (with stars) for having the whole thing figured out. And it's probably sadly lacking in compassion and empathy for ANYONE who has been discriminated against and lacking also in respect for fellow posters.

I think the person you quoted probably meant that the discussion will happen in this country: In the media, the government, the town halls of our cities and on TV specials. It will happen between friends around kitchen tables and in church meetings. But I doubt they meant it would happen here on ATS.

An excellent thread about race from 2006... You may find the "tone" of the discussion strikingly different than the tone of today. It's an excellent read, IMHO.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Im going to make a final comment for now as I have other things to do.

What I find interesting is how a site which is about being opened minded could attract so many closed minded individuals. A claim that this thread was for an open debate contains a multitude of bitter minded often racist and ignorant comments, mainly presented as though impartial.

The common theme here is that the racism that white experience is somehow not known by wider society. Yet ATS thread contain little else but white privileged males constantly whining about how they have been marginalised and oppressed.

Its not possible to have an intelligent discussion with such closed minds, or those who lack even the most basic education or reasoning skills. Racism is ignorance and is proved every time a racist makes a post.

In respect of race in general, there is of course only one race and that is the Human race. For political and financial reasons, the concept of race difference was perpetrated and maintained. Some of your would do well to learn about this as a primer for intelligent discussion.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

I thought so. The difference it makes is your narrative. If you are suggesting that black or brown on white racism is in any way comparable to white on black, then you need an education.
I do??

Racism is Racism!

Racism is about power. A poor man's disdain for a rich man, has far less impact than the opposite. You are essentially suggesting that they are the same and further, that the poor man's insults are now in the ascendancy.
Do you not see that there are people stoking the racial flames in this country for personal and political gain? I’m saying if we stop buying into that crap we take away their power. Stop being a sheeple and parroting the talking points they feed us! Stop believing the way they want you to! Things aren’t as bad as we’re told by the race-baiters.

What difference does it make what age I am? Why ask? Perhaps you should venture outside your bubble and see how the world has changed. Are you disputing that young people intermingle more?

Younger people have less perspective due to lack of life experience. Younger people also think they are smarter than all those before them.

Talk about living in a bubble. Pot Meet Kettle!

Your statement is only based upon your opinion. With all due respect, its just your opinion. The more people spotlight differences, the greater understanding that is had. That is simple fact.

This is what I mean about lack of perspective. Just because you’re just now discovering the differences doesn’t mean everyone else is, too!

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedog1973

What I find interesting is how a site which is about being opened minded could attract so many closed minded individuals. A claim that this thread was for an open debate contains a multitude of bitter minded often racist and ignorant comments, mainly presented as though impartial.

The common theme here is that the racism that white experience is somehow not known by wider society. Yet ATS thread contain little else but white privileged males constantly whining about how they have been marginalised and oppressed.

Its not possible to have an intelligent discussion with such closed minds, or those who lack even the most basic education or reasoning skills. Racism is ignorance and is proved every time a racist makes a post.

In respect of race in general, there is of course only one race and that is the Human race. For political and financial reasons, the concept of race difference was perpetrated and maintained. Some of your would do well to learn about this as a primer for intelligent discussion.

Oh that’s right! Go ahead and dismiss everyone’s comments and call us all uneducated racists because obviously we’re not as young, smart, experienced and educated as you!

Come back with a thicker skin and open mind next time. Stop listening to the race-baiters and think for yourself. Every argument I’ve made is logical. I’m the one saying segregation is wrong. I’m the one saying racism is racism regardless who does it. I’m the one pointing out why this issue never dies. But go ahead and act superior. I’m sure the country will be in great hands once the younger generation takes over and shows us the error in our ways.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12
I probably shouldn't be posting because I've been designated a "people like you" by many ATS members and I interpret that as someone thinking my opinion doesn't count because it's different than theirs.

So I'll just listen....
edit on 16-7-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

So why did you even post at all?? Just to stir the pot somehow? You could have just read the thread.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

reply to post by SilentKillah

I pointed out in the other thread... I've been robbed twice, once at gunpoint the other my house was broken in to. Both times by white people... the burglar was caught on my neighbor's security cameras. Statistics don't always match reality.

Statistics also tell me that I'm more likely to be identified in a line up and charged with a robbery that I didn't commit simply because I'm black, and the person that was robbed could only see baggy clothing. And that fact skews the statistics that you are relying on with your argument.

You’ve done a lot of complaining in this thread about how bad black people have it and how unfair everything is in America. I’m left wondering….what do you think needs to be done and who is going to do it? Based on how bad you say things are, I just don’t see an answer to these numerous problems….certainly no answer that will please you.

What do you suggest?

Good question here. Please realize that the only thing that I am looking for an outcome the profiling of black people just because you (generally... not specifically you but ones self) don't feel like they belong. It's not like it's everyone though. It seems that what I'd imagine to be uncultured white people, possibly Fox news watchers have this vision that if you walk through the "hood" you will be robbed and killed. No... my mother in law lives in what many here would look at as the "hood" or "ghetto". Duplex houses along the road, liquor store right around the corner from the houses... typical movie hood scene.

Let me tell you that these typical, proper engligh talking, white college kids in DC don't care... they live there too!!! They walk past "thugs" every single day... never robbed. White next door neighbors to my mother in law... married couple with a 3 year old daughter. Another older white lady walks her little dog to the corner and talks to the "thugs"... said a joke or something one day because I heard them bust out laughing and give her a high 5. I mean, it's not a LOT of white people there or anything, but it's enough to notice when they're drunk coming back from wherever and you can hear them talking loud and yelling while walking down the street at 2AM. They're not worried... and I LOVE to see that!

Then you have the majority of white... the uncultured ones outside of that area that seem to think that black people are some type of animal predators out to get every white person in their territory.

I suggest opening your mind, stop being terrified of black "thugs", and don't follow every one of them like a suspect because you don't know them and think they don't belong.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

it only until the hardcore racists die off that the progress that younger generations have made in respect of racism can develop unspoiled by the cynical, ignorant and petty mindset of racists.

What progress made by the younger generations??

Haven’t you been reading the thread? Apparently things are terrible now! There hasn’t been a significant improvement since the civil rights movement. Racism is running rampant and affecting tens of millions!!

You're exactly right when I can't read a Trayvon Martin thread without someone saying "that thug deserved it". Many white teenagers own guns. Many white teenagers smoke the natural herbs of the land. Many white teenagers make threats toward other teenagers. Are they thugs too?????

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentKillah

I think to say "many white teenagers", when used as a juxtaposition in the way you are, is a completely invalid statement.

if we are to talk about individuals, then it must be individuals we discuss.

All that aside, however, I agree. Treyvon Martin likely was not a "thug".

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedog1973

You may be right in that ther eis only one race.

But what you bemoan....why would ATS have a higher number of "white, priveleged" men?

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThreeBears
I'm referring to the racism or what is better termed as Ethno-nationalism, such as you find in Europe.

Africa for Africans, Asia for Asians, White countries for everyone.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by FuZe7

I don't really understand where the notion that the descendents of Europeans owe the descendents of Africans anything comes from?

If white privileged did exist, wouldn't that be rightful? Why shouldn't we (black and white) have the right to support our people first? By "our people" I'm referring to family, social circles, community, etc... (who just happen to be of the same race).

edit on 18-7-2013 by FuZe7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

There is no need for this crap... I can agree with that. But do you know why blacks are segregated?:

1. For 177 years maybe a little less, blacks were told by whites to keep to themselves. Blacks couldn't drink the water whites did. Blacks couldn't sit in white people's spots on the bus. Blacks couldn't have what whites had... because whites said so. That's not to say that some whites were unprivledged. But that is only because they cared for blacks in some way. Majority however... no so much. 60 years of freedom (with prejudice might I add)... not even half the time blacks were oppressed completely oppressed. Habits are hard to break!

2. Prejudice means that many blacks can't get good jobs, and can't live where the middle class live. If you want to break that barrier, move to the hood or don't be so upset that the house around the corner opened up section 8 housing! The black family is likely only moving there because they want their child to have a better education at that suburb school anyway!

3. Education isn't as good in the city... you do realize that right? Try asking a bunch of $15,000 - $25,000 income FAMILIES to have their children to bring in $600.00 worth of community school supplies every quarter. These families don't have that money! Don't even think about donations... that's not happening. Government gives most of the money to the better schools... meaning the teachers are paid less at inner city schools (they're looking for the new job at that suburb school), property is old and no money to fix stuff, etc.

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join