It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Race. We must talk about it, but we can't. Help, please?

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
reply to post by olaru12

I'm sorry, I did quote the wrong reply. lol.
It wasn't against you olaru. We've had our differences before and I do respect you and your views. The same might not be said about me and I'm ok with that. I'm horrible at putting my thoughts and intentions into words.

No worries, I treasure our exchanges as I do with most of those that can disagree with me with honor and sincerity.

It's a discourse not a contest..........at least it should be!
edit on 17-7-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by FuZe7
reply to post by firemonkey

I'm fairly racist, my opinions are fact based though. Not baseless hate like the stereotypical racist.

If you think mankind will ever lose their instinctual racial bias you're in for a let down.

I guess the real "problem" is that I'm a realist.

You can't say that. "Realist" is a 'code name' for racist now-a-days.

A realist acknowledges the differences amongst the races.

A racists hates the races because of the differences.

People today fail to distinguish that. And reasonably so. A lot of "realist" are in fact racist themselves. They are soo self absorbed that they don't even see it.

I consider myself a realist. I'll hold my own and speak my mind, but I don't hate anybody because of the melanin content of their skin. I've said before, I've been around the block many times, I have respect in my area, much more than your typical white dude. ~ I don't show fear. See, some people show fear around others, because they are different or because they have heard negative things. That fear can, and is, misinterpreted as hate. I think that is a problem in itself that can be solved by these discussions. Because these discussions enlighten us about who we are; our racial differences.

edit on 17-7-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I'm fairly racist, my opinions are fact based though. Not baseless hate like the stereotypical racist.

If you think mankind will ever lose their instinctual racial bias you're in for a let down.

Its natural to prefer people from the same culture. I would be lying if I said otherwise. The difference is some people hate while others tolerate difference. Who you marry and hang out with is different than people you have to work with or meet in public. People choose language, skin color, nationality, social status, attitudes, etc.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

You can't say that. "Realist" is a 'code name' for racist now-a-days.

A realist acknowledges the differences amongst the races.

A racists hates the races because of the differences.

People today fail to distinguish that.

Good post!!! Seriously!!!

I can sincerely agree that hating someone because of their skin color is ignorant. I think a big problem stems from the fact that when race is discussed, this is the perceived notion by some.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

BFT,

Ya know you have completely missed the point. I asked you to consider what a group of black professional experiences of racism are. The thing about being black is the high visibility factor. You could have two Phds and be a CEO you are black therefore there is an instantaneous automatic set of assumptions that kick in within the first 30 seconds of contact. This mythical black man with the 2 PHds is probably judged and found lacking BEFORE he can even blurt out “I got 2 Phds”. This is what happened with Zimmerman.

edit on 17-7-2013 by Tiger5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

I was raised by white parents and grew up in a mostly white city. Why should this ingrained (since birth) preference to associate with and support what I consider "my people" be considered a bad thing or wrong?

edit on 17-7-2013 by FuZe7 because: (no reason given)

I don't think you are a racist. You are prejudiced however. We all are! We all Pre......judge everyone we are around. Conscientiously or unconsciously.

I automatically see a well dressed person as affluent.

A guy dressed in leather on a Harley as a Dentist.

I am prejudiced [pre judge]against people that use, there, their and they're improperly as stupid.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

So maybe the solution here is an effort to accept human nature?

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

reply to post by olaru12

That is true, however, some people are ignorant in their acceptance. Unfortunately. :/

I give everybody the benefit of the doubt. All is equal in my eyes. you have to earn your derogatory name. And I've been known to say it, to all races. Act like a douche, I'm gonna call you out. And I'd give respect to anyone that would do the same to me.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

reply to post by olaru12

Precisely...

When I meet a pretty woman with large breasts, I don't even care how she uses, there, their or they're....

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Racism is a symptom of a weak mind or a black heart.

There is nothing else that needs to be said on this topic.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12

Look how Italian immigrants worked so hard to learn English and join our society. Look at Asians that come to America today. They have a deep desire to contribute and become a part of our culture.

My favorite places in almost any large city is the "China Town" where I can get a feel for another culture without traveling overseas. However there are many people in the Oriental communities that were born and raised in the US and have never learned English. Even in America there are insulated, separate neighborhoods and communities as there are everywhere world wide. It's how we treat the people that choose to live in that lifestyle that matters.

I have no problem with gated white only communities except for the Mexican maids and gardeners. It's their chosen lifestyle and it's none of my business.

Perhaps our mantra to help heal America from the increasing hate and division should be "Mind your own Business"

I'm Sorry, it's just the insane ramblings of a labeled and marginalized "people like you"....nevermind.

Thanks GOODNESS you said it! I couldn't get the words right, but you nailed it!

Second line.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tiger5

BFT,

Ya know you have completely missed the point. I asked you to consider what a group of black professional experiences of racism are. The thing about being black is the high visibility factor. You could have two Phdss and be a CEO you are black therefore there is an instantaneous automatic set of assumptions that kick in within the first 30 seconds of contact. This mythical black man with the 2 PHds is probably judged and found lacking BEFORE he can even blurt out “I got 2 Phds”. This is what happened with Zimmerman.

A black man with 2Phds probably doesn't dress like a gangster, while standing in the rain and profiling homes to see whats the best opportunity to break in and steal from. He dresses appropriately, speaks appropriately, and conducts himself appropriately.

Hot air and irrellevant!

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

you have to earn your derogatory name.

That's the best thing I've read in this thread!!!

We're on the brink of a solution here ladies and gentlemen!!!

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12

reply to post by olaru12

Precisely...

When I meet a pretty woman with large breasts, I don't even care how she uses, there, their or they're....

Now I know why you're referred to as "People like you"...

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Err You do not know many PHds. Academics are probaly the least fashion conscious people on the planet. You have made a lot of assumptions that need to be scrutinised very carefully. Again you have missed or ducked my original question.

Have you ever polled 100 educated black professional men..... Your silent response speaks volumes

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

BFT,

Ya know you have completely missed the point. I asked you to consider what a group of black professional experiences of racism are. The thing about being black is the high visibility factor. You could have two Phdss and be a CEO you are black therefore there is an instantaneous automatic set of assumptions that kick in within the first 30 seconds of contact. This mythical black man with the 2 PHds is probably judged and found lacking BEFORE he can even blurt out “I got 2 Phds”. This is what happened with Zimmerman.

A black man with 2Phds probably doesn't dress like a gangster, while standing in the rain and profiling homes to see whats the best opportunity to break in and steal from. He dresses appropriately, speaks appropriately, and conducts himself appropriately.

Hot air and irrellevant!

Oh... really... dressed like TM? I may not have a PhD YET, but I am in a Doctorate program in Management and have MS degrees in Program Management and Software Engineering. I've already stated in this thread... on a chilly night, you better BET I'll be standing outside smoking a cigarette dressed JUST like TM. You think I'm going to put on a suit to step outside and smoke??? And yes... I do smoke in the rain. Most nicotine addicts do. Oh... and if I'm running low on cigs, why would I drive to a store right around the corner? I'd smoke one walking there, and another walking home! You'd profile me knowing NOTHING about me. Just because I wore a hoody to cover my head from the rain and cold while walking to the store. How ignorant is that... really?

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKillah

BFT,

Hot air and irrellevant!

Oh... really... dressed like TM? I may not have a PhD YET, but I am in a Doctorate program in Management and have MS degrees in Program Management and Software Engineering. I've already stated in this thread... on a chilly night, you better BET I'll be standing outside smoking a cigarette dressed JUST like TM. You think I'm going to put on a suit to step outside and smoke??? And yes... I do smoke in the rain. Most nicotine addicts do. Oh... and if I'm running low on cigs, why would I drive to a store right around the corner? I'd smoke one walking there, and another walking home! You'd profile me knowing NOTHING about me. Just because I wore a hoody to cover my head from the rain and cold while walking to the store. How ignorant is that... really?

As long as you're not creeping through backyards, or violently attacking people you'll be perfectly fine.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Err You do not know many PHds. Academics are probaly the least fashion conscious people on the planet. You have made a lot of assumptions that need to be scrutinised very carefully. Again you have missed or ducked my original question.

Have you ever polled 100 educated black professional men..... Your silent response speaks volumes

Thank you. I don't give a flying # about how I dress. I'm married with kids. If I'm not at work, I'm not impressing ANYONE. I'm wearing only what feels comfortable... and baggy clothes sure feel comfortable to me! Thanks for pointing that out!

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   

BFT,

Ya know you have completely missed the point. I asked you to consider what a group of black professional experiences of racism are. The thing about being black is the high visibility factor. You could have two Phds and be a CEO you are black therefore there is an instantaneous automatic set of assumptions that kick in within the first 30 seconds of contact. This mythical black man with the 2 PHds is probably judged and found lacking BEFORE he can even blurt out “I got 2 Phds”. This is what happened with Zimmerman.

edit on 17-7-2013 by Tiger5 because: (no reason given)

Not talking about Zimmerman.

That aside, I don't know what you are talking about. I don't treat people better or worse, regardless of education, color, having a peg leg.

I am sure there are some who do. When I was fat people treated me much less kindly than they do now. It sucks that people are prejudiced against various things, certainly.

But the more you scream about it the more you fan the flames. Me, for example....why do I have to put up with all this nonsense? I am absolutely sick and tired of hearing any and all sides of the racism "debate".

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKillah

BFT,

Hot air and irrellevant!

As long as you're not creeping through backyards, or violently attacking people you'll be perfectly fine.

I walk through the woods to go to the store. I cut a path through my back woods that leads to the street. I'm just lucky there are no other houses around for someone to profile me. Or I'd probably be dead on my OWN PROPERTY going off of how "people like you" act!

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join