It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Race. We must talk about it, but we can't. Help, please?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
This is indeed an interesting video showing kids reactions to a/the interracial cheerios commercial. I just think it seems appropriate to this topic, and demonstrates a sensible attitude towards racism. Perhaps there is hope for future generations.

If you don't agree then please move on ....

Kids React to Interracial Family in Cheerios Commercial

Sorry if this has already been posted.

Enjoy.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Look how Italian immigrants worked so hard to learn English and join our society. Look at Asians that come to America today. They have a deep desire to contribute and become a part of our culture.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
reply to post by charles1952

Okay, the topic is how to get an open and honest (and intellectual) discussion going on race. I don't think we can, Charles. Racism is ignorance that dwells in the irrational part of the mind. I don't think mere words can cure such a disease.
edit on 7/16/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)
I'm glad I read your post, very well said and to the point.

This is about human nature not something that can be cured by a discussion any more then why we are still killing each other as a species after 30,000 years of evolving.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by FuZe7

Look how Italian immigrants worked so hard to learn English and join our society. Look at Asians that come to America today. They have a deep desire to contribute and become a part of our culture.

My favorite places in almost any large city is the "China Town" where I can get a feel for another culture without traveling overseas. However there are many people in the Oriental communities that were born and raised in the US and have never learned English. Even in America there are insulated, separate neighborhoods and communities as there are everywhere world wide. It's how we treat the people that choose to live in that lifestyle that matters.

I have no problem with gated white only communities except for the Mexican maids and gardeners. It's their chosen lifestyle and it's none of my business.

Perhaps our mantra to help heal America from the increasing hate and division should be "Mind your own Business"

I'm Sorry, it's just the insane ramblings of a labeled and marginalized "people like you"....nevermind.

edit on 17-7-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Well props to you as you have admitted it. I am also prejudiced. Perhaps if we all acknowledge our own prejudice then we can have a platform to move forwards. All that is then needed is that we then look at how we acknowledge our predjudices and fight against it. It is like fear - cowards are those who run and hide heroes are those who confront it. Both cowards and heroes feel fear but simply act differently.
edit on 17-7-2013 by Tiger5 because: misspelling

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Question. Why does the "people like you" keep coming up? Do you not feel your opinion is valid or something?

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Originally posted by TDawgRex
I try to be honest with myself (though it is hard and sometimes hurts) and will be with you, the members of ATS as well. I have stated before that I am prejudice. As try as I might, I cannot wipe that away. It is part of me, just as it is part of everybody else.

But at least I can define it (or refine if you will). I look at people as just that. First and foremost, they are fellow human beings, then I see them as Americans, Germans, Algerians, Chinese, etc. I don’t hyphenate people. Heck I like experiancing different cultures, as long as it isn’t violent.

But then the prejudice comes into play. How are they acting? How are they treating others? Does it meet my standards? If not, why? Do I meet theirs and is it acceptable to both parties?

I hate it when people paint others with a broad brush but I am guilty of it as well from time to time and I always kick myself in the ass for doing so.

I imagine that many people are like me, and that is one of the reasons humanity will never get along. If it’s not race, then it’s political or religious ideology, or class warfare, etc, etc.

edit on 16-7-2013 by TDawgRex because: Fat Paws and no thumbs

This is a really honest reply. I don't mean to be patronising about it, but I really so feel the sincerity in your words.

I think firemonkey might have approached the problem in a rather abrasive way, but I actually agree with both him and TDawg here.

When it comes to factors that we systematically discriminate against, the big one is class. None can dispute that. Your moolah and social standing are the bread and butter of your significance to the cold, hard eyes of society. Poor "whites", "blacks", et cetera suffer terribly for this.

That being said, race and sexual privilege also do exist. Many people here don't want to hear that. They want to believe that it's just a divide-and-conquer tactic (which it is) but it goes deeper... much deeper than that.

Consider the following. The large majority of leaders in the West are late middle-aged, rich white men. Some people may think "Well damn right! It's our land!" and others may just see it as a logical conclusion since it's mainly European society we're talking about, here. But herein lies the rub. The closer you resemble the upper echelons of society, the more you may possibly benefit.

I have to stress, and please, please read this carefully. Phenomena such as white and/or male privilege are not based on extra benefits one may receive just because. I am in no way claiming that you might receive your monthly "Caucasaman" check in the mail without fail. White/male privilege is a misnomer because it concerns the penalties that white people/males may not suffer where others do.

I'm not bitter or resentful about it. As a black man I've made the best of my situation and do not have the oh-so-ubiquitous chip on the shoulder. It would be a waste of time and energy to carry all the time. With a good education and a Received Pronunciation accent on an okay day, staying positive and grateful isn't really a hard thing to do, maybe.

But I'm not ignorant of the challenges I have faced and will continue to face because of my appearance. People are still surprised about the stereotypes I break. Some cross over to the other side of the road whether I'm wearing a suit or jeans and a t-shirt (no hoddies, you gotta know where you're going!
). I will still get asked why I think I have the right to play classical music and sing "Rule Britannia" when I'm nothing more than a (can't say here) with a UK passport... and yes, I've had that one before.

Negative connotations come with my skin colour, and they do leave me at a disadvantage.

Of course, it must be mentioned that the same can happen to white people. I consider white Zimbabweans as oppressed, whether they are wealthier than the mean income or not. Indians in Amin's Uganda, Slavs in North African antiquity, Koreans by the Japanese centuries ago and so on.

We need to stop assuming. We all do it, but if you can just stop those thoughts in your head, who knows? You might make a new friend.

Disclaimer: By the way, I'm not a racist because my best friend is white... well half Sri-Lankan but you'd never know the difference... Hahaha. Sorry guys, couldn't resist!

Disclaimer Disclaimer: Just in case no one got the joke reference, it's a common cop-out. My best friend is as I've described, but yeah, I don't think that would justify anything, it was a joke. That I've now ruined before its time... I love this site.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by olaru12

Question. Why does the "people like you" keep coming up? Do you not feel your opinion is valid or something?

It's just an illustration of how many ATS members choose to frame their debates by marginalizing and insulting people that have different ideas. Why, do you have a guilty conscious?

It's my feeble attempt at trying raise the bar of discussion in the threads....that's all.

Actually I am very comfortable with my designated outsider status and I am fully prepared to take the abuse that all iconoclasts are subject to. And I can do it with grace and style. Try it!!

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

No, it just seemed weird to me the number of times I have seen you say that. My conscience is clear as mud, like most humans. Thanks for asking.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

reply to post by olaru12

No, it just seemed weird to me the number of times I have seen you say that.

Why do you care how I phrase my responses? Are you a cyber stalker? Why are you following me?

Do I know you btw?

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Tiger5

I have had the pleasure of interacting with many black men and women with education, degrees, licenses, etc. I used to do call center work for Time Warner Cable of NYC (as one particular example), and the majority of the folks I worked with were black.

The Purchasing Manager that works in my department is an educated black man from Nigeria, whose dad immigrated here to complete his PhD several years ago.

It isn't just black people who perpetuate that culture, either. Like I said, we have a low percentage of black folks living here. But there is no shortage of folks who carry that particular culture. It is just more hispanic and white people doing it. And not a single one of them hangs out around me. My sisters "baby daddy" (as he likes to call himself) is not allowed at my house. Not because of his language insomuch as his past threats of violence that he obviously isn't man enough to follow through on. But that is another story. And an interesting one at that, as he is a hispanic that was raised by white foster parents, but he feels like he is a failure as a hispanic. So he tries to embrace "his heritage" and just ends up embracing italian heritage (named his dogs Gucci and Hugo, his son has a poorly spelled italian name, he tries to emulate the Jersey Shore, etc, etc).

Honestly, the whole race and culture thing is just silly to me. It is allowing two things you are born into to identify you. Instead of you creating your own identity.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12

reply to post by olaru12

It's just an illustration of how many ATS members choose to frame their debates by marginalizing and insulting people that have different ideas. Why, do you have a guilty conscious?

It's my feeble attempt at trying raise the bar of discussion in the threads....that's all.

Actually I am very comfortable with my designated outsider status and I am fully prepared to take the abuse that all iconoclasts are subject to. And I can do it with grace and style. Try it!!

The point of that is, not everyone can say "you people" without being ostracized. Now, is that playing fair/equal?
edit on 17-7-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by FuZe7

Like I have mentioned: my grandfather came through Ellis Island as a child when his family made it into America ahead of the Bolsheviks in Hungary.

My great grandfather used to have a thick accent. He would sit the grandkids (my mom and her siblings and cousins) up on his knee and sing the National Anthem to them. Over and over. Often, mom says, he would cry at how happy he was to be here. How much being an American meant to him.

These stories....they shaped my life. They are the source of my outlook. For a couple of years I have called myself a "freedom fundamentalist" because of the outlook my family stories have given me.

THAT is what culture is. THAT is what should bind our nation. Not some separate culture that lives within the macro organism.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by firemonkey

Originally posted by FuZe7
reply to post by firemonkey

In my profession, "minorities" are preferred for government contracts. I get the business that's not gobbled up by "minority" owned businesses. Despite the fact that I'm actually the minority, but that's beside the point I guess...

Is that discriminatory?

edit on 17-7-2013 by FuZe7 because: (no reason given)

How are you the "minority"...just curious?

I'm white

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by FuZe7

Firemonkey has apparently recieved the ban hammer.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish

Originally posted by olaru12

reply to post by olaru12

The point of that is, not everyone can say "you people" without being ostracized. Now, is that playing fair/equal?
edit on 17-7-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

I'm not going to respond to "people Like You"..............see what I mean?

Even in a cyber community there should still be "good manners"....I know it's a difficult concept!

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by firemonkey

I'm fairly racist, my opinions are fact based though. Not baseless hate like the stereotypical racist.

If you think mankind will ever lose their instinctual racial bias you're in for a let down.

I guess the real "problem" is that I'm a realist.

I was raised by white parents and grew up in a mostly white city. Why should this ingrained (since birth) preference to associate with and support what I consider "my people" be considered a bad thing or wrong?

edit on 17-7-2013 by FuZe7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Thank you. You brought up an excellent example of 'culture'. Not race. The problem we are facing now is a cultural problem. This culture is perpetuated mostly (NOTE: I say mostly, not only) by one race in general, granted all other races do share the same cultural Identity. Therefore, calling out that culture is then perceived to be a calling out on that race. And people that call that culture out make the mistake of calling it out due to race, because they are uneducated, and that's all they, see is color... It's not racism per se, it's bigotry.

This is why discussions like these are important. It's to educate, to know that we (as races) are all different in our own special ways. We need to embrace those differences. We can better understand each other once we do that. That's what multiculturalism is all about. .

It's hot here and I'm tired, I hope I made my point clear without sounding uncouth.
edit on 17-7-2013 by kimish because: add text

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

I'm sorry, I did quote the wrong reply. lol.
It wasn't against you olaru. We've had our differences before and I do respect you and your views. The same might not be said about me and I'm ok with that. I'm horrible at putting my thoughts and intentions into words.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

I don't usually post on ATS, but I'm enjoying your posts... "People like you..."

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join