It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Race. We must talk about it, but we can't. Help, please?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

So what can we (the majority of us) unite behind so that we put aside our differences??

I asked that same question,
An alien invasion

youtu.be...

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentKillah

Good point, I am sure there are some jobs where it is easier than others. Sign language will not be a good language on a construction site for example. How do you yell to another to look out below in sign language, or in another language they don't understand.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by kimish

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

How does the Marine Corps take a huge diverse group of people with varying backgrounds from across the country, put them all together and not have racial tensions? The only thing I can come up with is discipline, personal responsibility and our shared goals. These are all things that are lacking in society. We can’t force people to unite.

I would say that everyone is pretty much treated equally is a bigger factor than the discipline. Granted, discipline is still a factor.

For the most part that's true. We were treated a certain way based on rank rather than race or other factors.

Are you suggesting that people in America aren't treated equally? There are no laws that favor one race over another. If there is unequal treatment it's done by individuals, not the country.

edit on 17-7-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

The only one wanting to make a big deal about this is the democrats and the mainstream media to take attention away from egypt, turkey, the spying, ufos&aliens, the corruption with bush and obama, etc. So many important issues YET we are stuck debating a non-racial issue like zimmerman vs martin.

I agree with you EC I have started topics on those subjects, they get little interest.

When I told my parents zimmerman was innocent they looked at me with pure amazement like I was speaking a foreign language. I tried to explain and I kept getting cut off. It shows how thorough the brainwashing by the media is. Pure disgusting!

Sometimes I really do want to smash the television, but I control myself...somehow!

Sometimes you have to turn away from information overload, turn everything off and hug a tree

and hang on for dear life
edit on 103131p://bWednesday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
All men are created equal.

They just don't stay that way. We have choices. We can keep crying that every body's picking on me and never amount to much, or we can be all that we can be.

There will always be racism. But we cannot allow that to define who we are.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

All I can say, is after this verdict, I'm glad that I decided to buy land and live away from a neighborhood. How long will my race be considered suspicious because of the way we dress and talk away from the work center?

I'm white, my wife is white and my children are white. I moved to the country as well to get away from people, crime, drugs, etc. I don't see anything wrong with your decision to move...obviously. I do think your fears are motivated by media hype. Statistically, your children are far more likely to die from other things (including black on black crime) than a lone, white (or Hispanic) neighborhood watchman. To each his own but don't you think you're allowing this media hype to manipulate your judgement? You're just feeding the racial divide.

Thanks for chiming in. First I want to note however, that I didn't move because of the incident... I moved before it happened because I wanted land. Now I'm just feeling that it was a good choice for me to do so.

Regarding the possibility of death of my children... I agree. Statistically it is more likely that they could be killed from black on black crime etc. However... statiscically I also have a better chance at seeking actual justing from the killer being locked up if it does happen.

This media thing did hype it up... and for good reason if you ask me. It has shown me that I need to tell me kids never to argue and fight with a white person because if he dies, theres a chance nothing will be done about it. I thought only cops got this treatment for quite some time, but apparently, anyone that kills a black person does when there are no witnesses to see the fight begin and the other person says he was attacked by a black man fighting like a gorilla.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

AA is special treatment. As is getting "bonus" points on a civil service test because of your race. I wouldn't say that's equality.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

The only one wanting to make a big deal about this is the democrats and the mainstream media to take attention away from egypt, turkey, the spying, ufos&aliens, the corruption with bush and obama, etc. So many important issues YET we are stuck debating a non-racial issue like zimmerman vs martin.

I agree with you EC I have started topics on those subjects, they get little interest.

When I told my parents zimmerman was innocent they looked at me with pure amazement like I was speaking a foreign language. I tried to explain and I kept getting cut off. It shows how thorough the brainwashing by the media is. Pure disgusting!

Sometimes I really do want to smash the television, but I control myself...somehow!

Sometimes you have to turn away from information overload, turn everything off and hug a tree

and hang on for dear life
edit on 103131p://bWednesday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

Yep it can lead to momentary insanity which can lead to jail. I have had some minor anger issues because of personal issues and business insolvency problems. Feeding the cats and going on hunting trips cures a lot of headaches though.

And speaking on ATS beats listening to government propaganda anytime.
edit on 17/7/13 by EarthCitizen07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
reply to post by seabag

AA is special treatment. As is getting "bonus" points on a civil service test because of your race. I wouldn't say that's equality.

Well, that's true but supposedly that works against me (as a white guy) and I could care less.

Can we move on now?

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

you're accusing someone of hate speech while saying that it wasn't meant hatefully. it's nonsensical.

Being racist isn't always hateful, sometimes it is purely ignorance (ignorance meaning not knowing, not an insult). Some people honestly just don't see that their views and opinions are racists.

those two are racists, plain and simple. i have no love for fox news or any of the people you listed, however they are not as bold or as racist as sharpton and jackson.

If you don't see the racism on Fox News, then it is either because you are ignorant of it, don't care about it, or you agree with it.

This is a great example of someone holding racist views but not realizing it.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by FuZe7
reply to post by firemonkey

In my profession, "minorities" are preferred for government contracts. I get the business that's not gobbled up by "minority" owned businesses. Despite the fact that I'm actually the minority, but that's beside the point I guess...

Is that discriminatory?

edit on 17-7-2013 by FuZe7 because: (no reason given)

How are you the "minority"...just curious?

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

Good point, I am sure there are some jobs where it is easier than others. Sign language will not be a good language on a construction site for example. How do you yell to another to look out below in sign language, or in another language they don't understand.

This is not aimed at you TKDRL , but you make a good point . My job was extremely dangerous , I worked on the river where there is always a chance of men falling overboard into the river and drowning or ran through the wheels (props) , crushed between barges , lines breaking and causing severe damage if not outright killing someone , wires (cables) breaking that could sever limbs and kill someone etc; etc; .

Because of the ACLU my company was forced to hire Hispanics . Well not forced because that makes it look like they discriminated against others which they didn't . But the ACLU pushed us to hire these Hispanic men looking for work and whether they spoke English was of no concern to them . And that was a HUGE mistake . The first one they hired was placed on my boat and as 1st Mate at the time , it was up to me to train him and keep him safe . I could not do that because of the language barrier . Performing a dangerous job such as ours we must be able to communicate with one another clearly and concisely to keep one another safe . He had no idea what I was saying and I had no idea what he was saying . I called the office and complained and told them that if the ACLU had anything to say , have them call me and get them on the boat and work with us and they will see what I mean .

I did not want to get hurt or killed nor did I want this man to get hurt or killed and I did not want this man on my or any other boat and after some calls no one spoke Spanish fluently enough for it to work out . So I ask , Does this make me a racist ? There are times when a common language is not only desired but actually NEEDED . You do not have time to talk with "sign language" to try and get your point across . Grenhorns received on the job job training , no classroom training . You were thrown into the job with both feet .

So I ask again , am I racist for asking to have this man removed from my boat where no one spoke Spanish ?
edit on 17-7-2013 by whenandwhere because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-7-2013 by whenandwhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I asked that same question,
An alien invasion

I hope not!!

I figured we could unite behind saving our country from TPTB and their banking cartels but apparently even that is divisive.

Like I said….there is no solution beyond everyone taking personal responsibility for their own actions.

edit on 17-7-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

How does the Marine Corps take a huge diverse group of people with varying backgrounds from across the country, put them all together and not have racial tensions?

a new, elite group. the few and the proud...that could describe very similarly how some feel about their race.

there is no tension between groups because there is only one group.

people can be united under a goal, or shown that the dividers aren't real. different paths with the same result.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by FuZe7

disclaimer: this absulutly isn't intended to be interpenetrated as a hateful or derogatory post.

I believe the disconnect stems from the fact that I don't believe the issue ever was "oppression".

Why do you (and African Americans in general) feel so strongly that American society ever owed your people anything? Or European society in general? Do you ever see white people in Nigeria, China, or Japan complaining that they've been oppressed? Do these countries offer white people affirmative action?

Maybe you would be better off if you just appreciated the fact that your people were ultimately accepted and allowed to become a part our society and culture. If not for your ancestors selling your other ancestors into slavery, you would basically be living in the wild in Africa. There's nothing African about you now, except for your genes.

Again, I'm not African American...I'm white. This again is one of the racist opinions people hold that they don't even know it...if someone supports affirmative action and recognizes our racist past as a country...they must be black. Now that you know I'm not black, I'm sure you will attempt to label me as something else.

As for the rest of your post, just wow....do you claim not to be racist? Just an honest question.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKillah

It doesn't matter if they are immigrants or not! They are from a different CULTURE and taught a different way than you were! Geographic location in America should NOT matter... why because MAJORITY in that area speak the same way and that's what s/he has LEARNED.

I learned a lot of things growing up. I unlearned them when i saw that it would inhibit my ability to succeed. It is common sense. Sure, things like a whole different version of English shouldn't matter. But it does. Plain and simple. Continued use, which you are free to do, will not likely alter the amount of success you have. Since my black niece is capable of speaking proper English, I am absolutely positive that it can be done. In fact, the only time she doesn't use proper English is when she is around her friends who will heckle her for not being "black enough" if she doesn't participate in their group think.

I also don't see white people that are referred to as "rednecks" being discriminated against. I've worked with A LOT of down south, country accent, weird phrase saying people from America. Nobody is saying "those rednecks should really learn to speak proper English". But urban blacks should???

I am pretty down south, redneck myself. But I can also do math, and people tend to think I am smart (at least in real life). So i get ample opportunities.

Sure I may have an accent, but I don't grossly mispronounce words, nor do i riddle my sentences with what are known in communication as "mindless utterances" ("ya know what i mean", "ya know what i'm sayin'", etc). When I speak words, there is a clear and concise communication. Regardless of my redneck accent.

I worked in a restaurant once. An individual was having a very difficult time asking about something he wanted. The server, not being a primary English server, just could not figure out what "scrimps" were. Of course, the customer thought it was hilarious and kind of made some play out of it, but the point is poor English is a hindrance. And it should never be up to the person listening to be better at understanding you. It is up to you to communicate clearly. The cable company sure wouldn't be allowed to blame you for static, right? You expect clear communication.

National culture??? Really??? Since this country was called America up until 50 - 60 years ago (almost 177 years went by), blacks were taught to stay to themselves, not interact with whites, call the white man Master, only eat the scraps that whites didn't want (pig feet, chitterlings, etc.), and you don't think that the culture sticks? 177 years of de-moralization, people STILL ALIVE that experienced this crap FIRST HAND (like my grandmother being raped by the white man she worked for)... and 60 years is supposed to make all the difference in blacks social habits??? Be serious for one second please.
edit on 17-7-2013 by SilentKillah because: (no reason given)

I am being serious. Your grandmothers experience is unfortunate. My mom was raped by a family member when she was a little girl. Should I rage against all family members worldwide?

Like i said, that anger is an albatross. And all those excuses are just obstacles to getting what you want out of life: success, security, and happiness.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

For what its worth, I claim to not be racist. And I hope that people disagree with me.

I am sick of that stupid game and stopped playing it a few years ago. I hear it thrown around as the insult du jour and it just makes me ashamed to be from this culture.

The word "racist" has become a fan for a fire that should not be burning.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

what that translates to is, they were pressured into making the change, because white girls should not have won, "period."

You are referring to the comments made on youtube
You are REALLY trying to make this about race, but there is no evidence to say that is true except for youtube comments. And if you want to start comparing youtube comments, I can grab some pretty colorful comments against blacks if you want.

we have black professors, black musicians, black billionaires, black tv shows, black talk show hosts, black movie stars, black politicians, black church leaders, black professional dancers, black artists, black doctors, black lawyers, black architects, black scientists, black physicists, black entrepeneurs, black everything. they have all the same priviledges that white people do plus they have:

their own exclusive (read racist, apartheid) universities, social programs, and their poverty is treated as being more important than the poverty of whites.

for example, when my husband and i had our first child, he lost his job. we were in a low income bracket, so immediately we were in dire straights. we asked for welfare and were told we didn't qualify because we were white. it was a point based system and one of the points was race.

Do you consider yourself racist?

Do you have a negative opinion of black people?

I'm curious what you think of your own opinion...it is quite clear from your posts...but I wonder what you think about it.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I dont care if its a black man, a white man or a snowman thats saying it...

Its still true.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Sometimes I really do want to smash the television,

This is a bad thing?

but I control myself...somehow!

Kardashians & Honey Boo Boo ?

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join