It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holder wades deeper into Zimmerman battle, calls for review of ‘stand-your-ground’

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Source

Attorney General Eric Holder waded deeper into the controversy over the George Zimmerman case and verdict on Tuesday, suggesting a national review of "stand-your-ground" laws during a speech before the annual NAACP convention in Orlando.

This is getting ridiculous. This Administration is constantly overstepping its bounds and sticking it's nose into state business. How much longer are they going to keep this up.

The Fed has no right to question this law, and allowing them to do so will open the doors to them questioning other laws set up to allow people to defend themselves.

We need to get these clowns out of office.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
How long are they going to pour fuel over this fire? This is getting ridiculous. Trayvon this Zimmerman that. And Chantel gets a scholarship, has to pass her SAT first.
It would seem there is a bigger agenda being stoked by TPTB. As I said in another thread, what a terrible time to be American, your ways of life are changing quickly, hold on, it appears you're in for a bumpy ride.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

"But we must examine laws that take this further by eliminating the common sense and age-old requirement that people who feel threatened have a duty to retreat, outside their home, if they can do so safely," Holder said. "By allowing -- and perhaps encouraging -- violent situations to escalate in public, such laws undermine public safety."

Yeah he would like that wouldn't he? You got to run like a little girl and call daddy for help. Pathetic. That way works wonderful for all the giant liberal cities out there doesn't it. These fools want us to be defenseless, helpless, looking to authority to do everything. To hell with that.

edit on Tue, 16 Jul 2013 17:25:09 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
The only review stand your ground needs is a review to widen the scope of what is considered stand your ground.It should be made a federal law and not just a state law.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
People?

You ALL really need to be paying attention to Holders comments what it means is:

They are going after self defense laws,, they have already came after gun laws this is a double win for those fascists.

You have no right to defend yourself the only thing you are suppose to do is run like a coward or dial 9-11, and the police or government is suppose to come save you.

As if Zimmerman is any justification for anything that has been 'proposed' is going to work take Chicago a place that doesn't have SYG, that has this nations highest gun laws.

And minorities are dying every day, just without all the press coverage, or the media sennsationalism.

People You ALL need to stand your ground and protect your civil rights, your constitutional rights, and defend the US CONSTITUTION.

The original the highest STAND YOUR GROUND LAW in this country.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Wait so the guy who's shown he has little to no understanding of the United States Constitution is calling for a review of a state's (Florida) legitimately passed law? This is shocking news to me.

Eric Holder is a moron.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
States have the right to pass laws that their citizens want. I don't understand why the feds have to butt into it except for their agenda to attack gun rights. This whole Trayvon thing is getting out of hand. What's next, taking Zimmerman out with a drone? They are responsible for more innocent lives than Zimmerman could ever be.

Not Guilty

Peace

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The irony in all of this is Zimmerman declined the SYG hearing and went to court on self defence so it makes no sense for Holder to say that without ulterior motives

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

You have no right to defend yourself the only thing you are suppose to do is [color=gold] run like a coward or dial 9-11, and the police or government is suppose to come save you.

Well folks,
the moment has come
to play a song from the 1980's.

Mike

/music

Take the children and yourself
And hide out in the cellar
By now the fighting will be closed at hand
Don't believe the church and state
And everything they tell you
Believe in me, I'm with the high command

Can you hear me, can you hear me running?
Can you hear me running, can you hear me calling you?

There's a gun and ammunition
Just inside the doorway
Use it only in emergency
Better you should pray to God
The father and the spirit
Will guide you and protect from up here

Swear allegiance to the flag
Whatever flag they offer
Never hint at what you really feel
Teach the children quietly
For someday sons and daughters
Will [color=gold] rise up and fight while we stood still

Can you hear me?

Hear me calling you
Can you hear me running, hear me running, babe?
Can you hear me running, hear me running?
Calling you, calling you

- MIKE & THE MECHANICS
- SILENT RUNNING

edit on 16-7-2013 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-7-2013 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Here is Attorney Holder in his own words.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by XTexan

Interesting that the AG Holder honed onto the "Stand Your Ground" law(s) even though the Zimmerman trial wasn't based on it. They waived it because it is much easier to show innocence in a straight self-defense case than try to wade through the provisions of a "Stand Your Ground" case.

I think the AG is hoping something sticks with this....

ETA: Kudos to a poster a couple up...same point so mine is just a reiteration of the facts already presented.
edit on 16-7-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

"But we must examine laws that take this further by eliminating the common sense and age-old requirement that people who feel threatened have a duty to retreat, outside their home, if they can do so safely," Holder said. "By allowing -- and perhaps encouraging -- violent situations to escalate in public, such laws undermine public safety."

Yeah he would like that wouldn't he? You got to run like a little girl and call daddy for help. Pathetic. That way works wonderful for all the giant liberal cities out there doesn't it. These fools want us to be defenseless, helpless, looking to authority to do everything. To hell with that.

edit on Tue, 16 Jul 2013 17:25:09 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

I almost threw my drink at the screen when I heard that idiot say that.

I'm not a fan of the Republicans but they need to find a pair and hold these traitors feet to the fire. I'd prefer that the U.S. populace do so, but they are still watching Big Brother or something.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
People?

You ALL really need to be paying attention to Holders comments what it means is:

They are going after self defense laws...

Agreed.

AG Holder states "...[Stand Your Ground laws] senselessly expand the concept of self-defense and sow dangerous conflict in our neighborhoods..."

Expand the concept of self-defense? How do you expand that concept? It is inherently human to preserve your life through flight or fight.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Expand the concept of self-defense? How do you expand that concept? It is inherently human to preserve your life through flight or fight.

That is the same ideology behind the solution to 'work place violence' is to hide under a desk, and wait for the police to show up.

It is all totally nonsensical.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by XTexan

Sorry, but I disagree.

I am a native born Texan who owns guns and I've had a concealed carry permit for over ten years. On the other hand, the "stand your ground" laws in Texas are different than those in Florida and I'm not so sure that Zimmerman would have gotten off so easily here.

governor.state.tx.us...

In 1995, the Texas Legislature created an exception to a 1973 statute, which required a person to retreat in the face of a criminal attack. The exception allowed a person to use force without retreat when an intruder unlawfully entered their home. Senate Bill 378 extends a person’s right to stand their ground beyond the home to vehicles and workplaces, allowing the reasonable use of deadly force when an intruder is:

Committing certain violent crimes, such as murder or sexual assault, or is attempting to commit such crimes;
Unlawfully trying to enter a protected place; or
Unlawfully trying to remove a person from a protected place.

The law also provides civil immunity for a person who lawfully uses deadly force in the above circumstances. The use of deadly force is not lawful when it is used to provoke or if a crime other than a Class C misdemeanor is committed by the victim.

That being said, I have to agree with the attorney general on this one and judging by the response to the verdict across this country, I think the nation is going to demand it.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

Zimmerman and his lawyers didn't use Stand Your Ground...they waived that and fell onto basic self-defense....but does that matter to you?!

ETA: The "response" from around the nation is only a minute amount of people...how does that equate to what the Nation wants? This is a State issue; not a Federal issue. Do people understand Federalism or Republicanism anymore?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Reply to post by Flatfish

Did you miss the part about SYG having nothing to do with Zimmermans defense?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flatfish

That being said, I have to agree with the attorney general on this one and judging by the response to the verdict across this country, I think [color=gold] the nation is going to demand it.

I bet Holder didn't miss the fact that Zim used self-defense and not stand-your-ground.

Even if [color=gold] the nation did.

Mike

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Funny, the nation demand it? Then why are the protests pulling less people than minor league sporting events? It's a joke, they are nowhere near a majority.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Reply to post by Flatfish

Did you miss the part about SYG having nothing to do with Zimmermans defense?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

They still can't grasp race didn't so I wouldn't expect to understand SYG didn't.
edit on 16-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join