It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tea party Sens. Rand Paul and Ted Cruz sign on to military sexual assault bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
To be honest I'm a bit annoyed that they are still calling themselves the Tea Party. Conservatives highjacked that movement thinking it would do them some good, and when it actually just got a bunch of irrational zealots elected, you'd think they would back track.

Either way this is good news.

Tea party Republican Senators Rand Paul (TN) and Ted Cruz (TX) have joined an effort spearheaded by Democratic Sen. Kristen Gillibrand to take prosecution of military sexual assaults out of the armed forces chain of command and place it in civilian hands. According to Politico, the two outspoken conservatives, who have both hinted at presidential runs in 2016, could provide Gillibrand’s bill, with “critical conservative cover” that it will need to gain a majority of votes in the Senate.

The purpose of the bill is to take the prosecution of sexual assaults of the military’s chain of command and hand it over to civilian authorities. Outside the military hierarchy, officers and subordinates alike will be treated as equal before the law. Currently, the majority of sexual assaults in the military go unpunished, if they are reported at all.

Source

Now mind you election season in the US starts the day after Inauguration for some, and methinks Rand and Ted Cruz might have some plans to run against Hillary in 2016. The GOP is going to have to really dig deep and get as much help as they can get if they stand a chance to beat her in a general election.

I don't like her anymore than I like Obama, or Romney or any other globalist politician, but she's a political nightmare for anybody on the opposite team.

As for the story, it's amazing to me that even after the last half decade of verifiable information regarding the insanity of rape in the military, the unwillingness of the brass to do anything about it; that we didn't move it out of their hands.

But such is bureaucracy I suppose.

Thoughts ATS?

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I agree that it needs to be taken away from the military and given to a civilian authority. The military brass would rather just push everything under the rug so they look all nice and shiny.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
And you cant have a presidential election without a Paul, thats just un-american.

2nd

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I'd say it's about time somebody tried to put a stop to the madness! The way things stand now if you report a sexual assault (or sexual harassment) in the military you are setting yourself up for even more abuse. Something has to change in order to stop this!

As far as Paul or Cruz running against Hillary- No way TPTB are EVER going to let a Paul run the country, and Cruz will be questioned incessantly about his "natural born citizen status" as even though his parents are both citizens Cruz himself was born in Canada. The Left will twist this to their advantage in their PR releases come campaign time.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

\and Cruz will be questioned incessantly about his "natural born citizen status" as even though his parents are both citizens Cruz himself was born in Canada.

I didn't know there was an issue with that. Should be interesting once the ad campaigns get under way.

Either way, I don't think anybody can stop the Hillary Machine.

~Tenth

top topics

join