It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People keep speaking about a "reset" and how they look forward to it...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Sort of like the "hope and change" mantra that usually meant different things to different people. In any event, a "reset" would pretty much mean the end of the global economy and life as we know it, probably NEVER returning to what we current enjoy within our life time, and beyond. JiT would immediately halt, fuel, food, commods, riots, banking collapse, stock collapse, martial law, and a huge spiral out of control with massive dictator like implementation taking place - and thats probably the best perspective. All out war and chaos would probably be in there somewhere as well.

I really do not understand why people rally for a "reset" or a collapse of the system. It would be painful beyond anything they could ever imagine, and life would never be the way it was before - it would be catastrophically worse.

Now I agree that we have dug a hole we can't get out of, and I hope it gets solved, and the age of "greed" gets reigned in...
edit on 16-7-2013 by pityocamptes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Anyone who sees the collapse of society as anything other than the catastrophe it is, is living in a fantasy world.

Regardless of the reset event, there are some things (like you mentioned) that will certainly happen...assuming whatever the event is, some of us initially survive.

First and foremost, the loss of power will have some really reaching consequences. Immediately, people on life support will die. Food will get scarce, and trucks and cars will stop rolling in a matter of days (no power for the pumps). Same with planes. The world will suddenly get a LOT bigger for everyone.

After just a few days without power, the night will bring rampant crime and looting in cities. Within weeks, armed gangs will outman the police, and the military will be hard pressed to restore order in the major cities. Lesser cities will be on their own...and likely ruled by such gangs. No news, and no papers, no Internet. Maybe just a handful of HAM radio operators, but none of them real likely to talk except to pre-established folks. (and even then, they may be more wary).

After a few months, resources in the cities will become more scarce, and the gangs will branch out to the countryside. Until this point, most rural dwellers that survived are likely doing ok. Maybe they had to deal with a random looter or two, or even a small gang, but likely nothing organized, and even more likely nobody at all.
The show Revolution (for all of it's faults) has likely called it pretty well. The rise of military rule in such a vacuum. Likely by elements that were the military in peacetime. They will quell or absorb the gangs...after securing major cities.

Water is the first major challenge, and I'd bet many die just from lack of this. Then food. During those initial months, many will starve. Of course the highest death rate though, will be from our fellow man. Competing for those few resources, people will act in ways completely foreign to their normal selves. It will be anarchy, likely for months. Those initial months will be hard and risky.

Such a world would be a very scary place to get through. I figure after a year or so, we'll see something take shape (likely a military dictatorship). Which, likely won't be too bad considering the alternatives. Eventually, we'll get back on our feet, but it would likely take a couple decades.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I agree. I keep hearing young people, protesters on tv, news articles all indicating the same thing - let the system "reset" - what exactly does "reset" mean to these people? Do they realize that there is no "clean" way of "resetting"?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Ask China, ask Iran, ask Russia.

Or look here.

List of Coups

or

Rebelions

The only thing that history has proven is things change.

Society collapse all the time, civilizations fall and rise, it is the nature of the world.

Humanity has survived it many times, its Naive to think this civilization is the one thats collapse would herald the end (with modern weapons I suppose it could happen)

People adapt, a reset or social collapse of the current system wouldn't even be a new thing in recent human history.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes

When the loose confederation of states decided to rise up against the tyranny of King George and his unfair rule, they did so at their own peril.

They where not however destroyed, they did not go live in caves. When the Revolution was over they went back to their homes and their farms and they created a GREAT NATION!

Change is inevitable! Do not fear the change or the loss of an old way of life that needs to end...

Embrace it!
edit on 16-7-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Two posters above fail to acknowledge that those issues are like comparing apples and oranges. In the event of a system "reset" or collapse, JiT, which 99.99999% people take for granted ceases to exist. EVERYTHING is baed on this from a global perspective, the consequences ripple through the global communities and nations, and things get quickly out of hand.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I'm one of the many people that believe in a reset in the global system. The downward spiral will only fall so much until it meets an equal or a greater indefinite force of impact on our society. It's inevitable IMO with the way things are looking these days. We all suffer either way...slowly but surely.

A collective revolution (change) will only happen when people are no longer in their "comfort" zones but in their survival instincts.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Oops double
edit on 16-7-2013 by PurpleVortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleVortex
I'm one of the many people that believe in a reset in the global system. The downward spiral will only fall so much until it meets an equal or a greater indefinite force of impact on our society. It's inevitable IMO with the way things are looking these days. We all suffer either way...slowly but surely.

A collective revolution (change) will only happen when people are no longer in their "comfort" zones but in their survival instincts.

It can't happen though. It sounds great on paper, but in reality you are literally talking about millions, if not tens or hundreds, dying in such an upheaval...
edit on 16-7-2013 by pityocamptes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I think people want some sort of change, but with pre-requisites. The two major ones are;

1) No personal effort can be involved, whatsoever, except for typing
2) As long as one can benefit from the new system, then nothing else matters

Those with the motivation to change things are either already in power, or more frequently, take a direct approach that is based on the same cultural story that has been causing all of these issues all along. The mass majority will only go so far as to complain but will continue to participate in the same way as what has led into this mess (either exploitation or apathy).

There are those who are not only suggesting solutions, but living their life by them. To actually make a larger impact, it requires active participation from as many individuals as possible, but that violates rule number 1.

Technology enables us to approach our existence and societal constructs in a different way. Not only are there ways to change things without outright destroying the old systems, but we can use the old systems simply in a different way to get different results.

However, a part of me thinks that the mass majority of people want destruction and collapse, even if they might not have thought through the personal impact it might have (it will violate rule number 1 again).

I think the turning point will be when a certain stage of technology is released, whenever that might be, wherein one approach leads to massive world wide destruction, or massive world wide growth without any sort of grey area.

While I think its much better to work towards this together, right here and now even within the current systems, I have sincere doubts that people will violate rule number 1 until they have no choice whatsoever. And at that point, it will just be a scramble to get anything into place to stop the chaos, which I suspect has been exactly the plan all along by those in power.

Rock and a hard place really... Its just one that people could literally walk out of with their own steps to the open field that is right by it, but I think most will remain huddled there until all of it is gone.
edit on 16-7-2013 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Anyone who sees the collapse of society as anything other than the catastrophe it is, is living in a fantasy world.

Seriously!

It wouldn't be a utopia of survivors like some movies try to make it out to be.
The nuclear plants would all melt down. Probably kill all the survivors off anyways.
But before then, all the chronically ill would suffer and die miserable deaths.
People would mass starve. Painful!
No more cancer treatments. No more oxygen treatments. No more medicine at all.
Cut your finger? Die from infection.
Get a sore throat? Die from infection.
Appendix having issues? Die from infection.
Got a hanker'n for coffee? Too darn bad.
Got a hanker'n for food? Nope. Everything is contaminated.
Thirsty? Don't drink the water. Contamination and radiation from the nuke plants.

etc etc etc

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes

History suggests otherwise. It can, and it will. Yes, many will fall but many more will rise to be the foundation of a new society. A society that works hopefully. I'd die today if I knew my fellow man would live a better life tomorrow, supported by a government who has the best interest of its people, not the government who robbes and spies on its people. The Nobel peace prize was well deserved by Snowden, we need more examples like him to wake up the world.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by pityocamptes
Two posters above fail to acknowledge that those issues are like comparing apples and oranges. In the event of a system "reset" or collapse, JiT, which 99.99999% people take for granted ceases to exist. EVERYTHING is baed on this from a global perspective, the consequences ripple through the global communities and nations, and things get quickly out of hand.

Let me guess you are not old enough to remember the Soviet Union Collapsing and with it a form of Communism A COMPLETE way of life! Russia RESET and yeah people lost things and lives were lost and yeah they may not be better for it but it happened none the less. Look at the Romans they are no longer around if you want some ancient history.

Yes if the lights go out or there is a violent revolution bad things will happen. But instead of fearing it and spreading your fear why not accept it and come up with ideas of how to prevent something like that happening?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage

Let me guess you are not old enough to remember the Soviet Union Collapsing and with it a form of Communism A COMPLETE way of life! Russia RESET and yeah people lost things and lives were lost and yeah they may not be better for it but it happened none the less. Look at the Romans they are no longer around if you want some ancient history.

Yes if the lights go out or there is a violent revolution bad things will happen. But instead of fearing it and spreading your fear why not accept it and come up with ideas of how to prevent something like that happening?

Apples and oranges. I remember very well the Soviet fall - not the same.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

But instead of fearing it and spreading your fear why not accept it and come up with ideas of how to prevent something like that happening?

I think that is an excellent point. Why arent we doing this? I think it all comes down to rule number 1 again, it actually requires participation and personal effort. I am not sure most people see that what they are doing right now requires this all the same, but it seems to be a theme.

Another option is to appeal to those in power that their plan is not the best for humanity, and not even the best for the satisfaction of their own greed. Since the world population tends to be looked at as a resource to exploit, the idea is nipped in the bud. A massive shift would occur if the world population was instead looked at as a resource to enable.

The issue with that idea is that success and profit are viewed solely in a bank account and what that bank account can manipulate. By enabling individuals instead of exploiting them, the quality of life would drastically improve for everyone (and even more so over time), but this will not be quantified in a bank account.

So where will the change actually occur? Will it be through an engineered collapse that "the people" will cheer on, but will require great loss of individual rights and lives? Will it be through those in power realizing they could live and even better life by enabling and taking care of their citizens? Will it be through people approaching all of the same constructs, but in a different way?

My hope is that it is the last option there, but it is also important to appeal to those in power that they could get better results. In the end, the most likely by a large margin imo, is an engineered collapse that "the people" will grandly cheer on until they realize just how much they are really losing. Then they will go back to complaining and following twitter feeds.

At some point our technology will reach a level where we will have to confront our cultural story of exploitation. But, that has yet to come.

(If you can sense frustration on my part its because its there)
edit on 16-7-2013 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Fear a "reset"? You are damn right I do!!!!

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

I really do not understand why people rally for a "reset" or a collapse of the system. [color=gold] It would be painful beyond anything they could ever imagine, and life would never be the way it was before - it would be catastrophically worse.

See, that right there.
That is the bitter fruit of lies and propaganda.

That thought is what the bankers want you to believe.
That thought is why atheism is a fad, running around saying faith = hate.

The truth is that a reset was supposed to happen in the year 2000.

The Year of Jubilee

And thou shalt number seven sabbaths of years unto thee, seven times seven years; and the space of the seven sabbaths of years shall be unto thee forty and nine years. 9Then shalt thou cause the trumpet of the jubile to sound on the tenth day of the seventh month, in the day of atonement shall ye make the trumpet sound throughout all your land. 10And [color=gold] ye shall hallow the fiftieth year, and proclaim liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof: it shall be a jubile unto you; and ye shall return every man unto his possession, and ye shall return every man unto his family. 11A jubile shall that fiftieth year be unto you: ye shall not sow, neither reap that which groweth of itself in it, nor gather the grapes in it of thy vine undressed. 12For it is the jubile; it shall be holy unto you: ye shall eat the increase thereof out of the field.

Return of Property

13In the year of this jubile ye shall return every man unto his possession. 14And if thou sell ought unto thy neighbour, or buyest ought of thy neighbour's hand, ye shall not oppress one another: 15According to the number of years after the jubile thou shalt buy of thy neighbour, and according unto the number of years of the fruits he shall sell unto thee: 16According to the multitude of years thou shalt increase the price thereof, and according to the fewness of years thou shalt diminish the price of it: for according to the number of the years of the fruits doth he sell unto thee. 17Ye shall not therefore oppress one another; but thou shalt fear thy God: for I am the LORD your God.

- King James
- Leviticus 25: 8-17

The forgiveness of all debts.

But NOOOOO.... instead massive bad debts were amassed
just in time
under a new instrument called credit-default-swaps.

Then a few politicians were bribed,
and the public coffers backed the bad debts.

No one got their property back.
No debts were erased.
Everything was "too big to fail"
and a generation of useful idiots flooded the internet
punching any and all religious posters in the eye.
While screaming "for great justice"

What fools.
By this device the debt holders can now say,
"but the people insisted on honoring the debts"
and "They bailed us out"
and "See they have no faith in your law Lord"
"they deserve to serve us. And their children's children."

Forgiveness of all debts,
return of all property and intellectual rights every 50 years.

Reset, is simple, healthy, and mandated by The Lord.

He's a criminal for the people rather than against them, a modern-day Robin Hood rescuing debt-ridden folks from the system's grasp by destroying bank mortgage documents.

But what do I know,
I'm a so-called Christ tard.

Mike

edit on 16-7-2013 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-7-2013 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Apples and oranges. I remember very well the Soviet fall - not the same.

Alright then good luck to you. To answer your original question.

People keep speaking about a "reset" and how they look forward to it

Basically they are tired of the same old dynamic that had been in place and want it to change no matter the consequences. For others who know change is inevitable they are just hoping to make it through it. Regardless change will come for better or worse so why not look forward to it you cannot stop it only try to guide it.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
So explain to me what happens when JiT $hits out? How that affects global markets and society as a whole? How that would imply war, which leads to...? Nothing is contained within a "bubble" nor isolated... explain to me why more and more larger size companies are implementing CoG style contingencies that are normally reserved for sovereign nations?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

For those who weren't business majors....JIT is "Just In Time" inventory, and as the poster suggests, it basically means that when the trucks stop rolling, the stores will have about 3 days worth of supplies, and then that's all folks. So, the poster is basically correct. Comparing this to colonial times, or even Russia (which was actually more gradual than people think), is really not a fair comparison.

Flyers Fan raises a good point with the nuke plants, though I think it a bit pessimistic. Here's a good site for finding out if you'd be screwed. (sorry if you're on the Eastern seaboard (and not right on the water), chances are, you're too close to one).

www.nrdc.org...

Luckily, I'm out of the woods, though not by a whole lot....but enough to be comfortably sure. Likewise, I've plotted the affected radius of the worlds largest nuke over the closest target candidate, and we're pretty good here too... Of course, can't do anything about the effects of long term fallout, but hope for the best. Luckily, the winds are in my favor here, as most will go out to sea.

Thing is, now our economy is global. So what affects one, has ripples to others. If you think the world's largest economy hitting RESET wouldn't completely fubar the global markets and send the entire system into a tailspin, then you aren't thinking it through enough.
edit on 16-7-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join