It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hollywood hospital fires six for snooping into patient records

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Six medical workers have been fired from Cedars-Sinai hospital for illegally accessing patient records, the Los Angeles Times reported on Friday. Cedars-Sinai officials sent the newspaper a statement saying that 14 patient records were "inappropriately accessed" between June 18 and June 24.

Source

I wonder if one (or more) of these "stars" press secretaries, etc... are involved in this leaking of medical information. After all, it keeps their client's name in the press, and people talking about them. In that world, it's considered free press, regardless of the impact it would have on the "little people" involved. If a trial or legal case comes forth, they would get even more free press....and their clients get the sympathies, boosting their public perceptions.

I would not put it past the Hollywood mindset to screw over people, get them fired, or even brought up on HIPAA violations to further their own agendas.

Keep an eye on this one ATS, as I predict this too will "leak out" eventually.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I have a slightly different take on this and think people need to get over this near religious obsession with 'Privacy'. Oh there is a place for it, to be sure and Medical records don't need to be public on the net or even public record to any level. Restriction is proper and it works. However, they treat patient records like the files for the nation's nuclear battle plan at times for security level and it's patently absurd. Is someone hiding an extra chromosome they want to hide from the world or alien DNA or something?

Case in point, and for all we know after reading this carefully, all that happened with some of it here, a neighbor and friend of mine went to work as a Comp tech at a Sleep study clinic in Kansas. Well, he put quite a bit out to get all of it lined up and even paid accommodations to work a couple hundred miles away at this place. (times are tough). His first week, patient records crossed his screen as an inadvertent move while working on their computers. HIPPA Doesn't care, was what he was told. Fired on the spot. No appeal and no discussion.

It's worth restricting...but absent true abuse and some form of damage done? It's not worth ruining careers over, IMO. Aside from that, Uncle is sharing the same stuff with everyone he deems "need to know" all the way to the IRS...for what they could EVER need to know with anything medical....but an average person seeing one, even by accident? Oh, your career is over.

edit on 16-7-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: Oh..spell check needs shot sometimes.. lol

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
So basically they were fired for doing something illegal.

So?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
So basically they were fired for doing something illegal.

So?

Yes, and I agree with the decision. However, I wonder if there is more to the story that is not obvious. Is the Hollywood machine involved in this "leak" in some way? Following the money will get you to the tabloid, but, what if you follow it further? Does it lead back to the people who's information was leaked?

There have been cases discovered in the past of this type of behavior from the recording industry "seeding" music on P2P sites, and later feigning it was "leaked". The movie industry is also been caught doing the same with movie releases. It is common practice it seems, so why should this be any different....it's all FREE PRESS for their clients.

top topics

join