It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ticked off at Verizon over NSA? Here's how you get back with a $0 ETF fee!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I called quite a few times in June as a verizon customer, saying how I felt that they violated my privacy due to this whole NSA thing. I wasn't personally named, the cops had no probable cause, and they just bent over and submitted to some FISA court and wanted out of my contract on principle.

They didn't care, they had their contract & I was crap out of luck, until now.

HOWEVER, on Sept 26 of this year their extended warranty program goes up in price. According to their own contract, if at any time they raise their prices, and you don't agree with the price change, you can call them up and get out of your contract for FREE. No ETF fee (early termination fee), and you can get your phone unlocked, so that you can use your phone on other networks, etc.

I had Asurion, which when I got this letter, i immediately dropped for VERIZON'S extended warranty program. Come Sept 26, I'll be sure to call & get my free ETF. (And then immediately buy a $50 phone card, and basically have the same plan with no contract & save myself an extra $70 a month to boot!)

Just thought others here who are in the same boat as I am, (and don't like their privacy violated) would appreciate the info.

And for those of you that will argue "you're still being violated", if enough of us call and cancel and tell them WHY they're losing us after the cancellation, maybe the next time they get that court order they'll tell FISA to stuff it.And if not, at least they don't deserve my money.

(I know he odds are slim, but dare to dream.)

/The More You Know

edit on 16-7-2013 by schadenfreude because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
That's awesome, thank you for the information. I will share it with everyone I know who has verizon. Not that it matters much cuz I'm sure all the other providers are "sharing" info as well.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by MrBigDave

Keep in mind that if they have Asurion, that that is a third party insurance & therefore doesn't apply. They need to get on the Verizon extended warranty program to claim "hardship" when the price spikes.

And for those that will say "But with Asurion, if I lose my phone I can get it replaced for free", to that I say TAKE BETTER CARE OF YOUR STUFF.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
i think we should all, as being aware of the spying, cause as much phonetic chaos as we possibly can.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
It looks like the Verizon lawyers might be on top of this one... they added some text (in bold below) at the end of the pertinent section in the agreement that wasn't there in the past.

Can Verizon Wireless Change This Agreement or My Service?

We may change prices or any other term of your Service or this agreement at any time,but we'll provide notice first, including written notice if you have Postpay Service. If you use your Service after the change takes effect, that means you're accepting the change. If you're a Postpay customer and a change to your Plan or this agreement has a material adverse effect on you, you can cancel the line of Service that has been affected within 60 days of receiving the notice with no early termination fee if we fail to negate the change after you notify us of your objection to it.

Which, I think means they can negate the price increase to your individual plan and keep the status quo.

Verizon customer agreement

It looks like the price increase in the extended warranty is 1.01 per month. I think they will gladly back off of that to keep you on your contract. But, who knows...
edit on 16-7-2013 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

The important point in your post there is "materially adverse" is not defined. They can't tell you how much is too much for you.

If the rules have been changed recently however where this doesnt work plz let me know, not trying to deceive anyone.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by schadenfreude

The important point in your post there is "materially adverse" is not defined. They can't tell you how much is too much for you.

You're right... that term is undefined. But based on that text they added at the end, no matter how much (or little) it is, if they back the price increase out of your monthly bill, you still have to pay the ETF if you cancel.

If the rules have been changed recently however where this doesnt work plz let me know, not trying to deceive anyone.

I understand you're not trying to deceive anyone. The reason I looked it up was that I couldn't believe their lawyers would let that happen for very long.

I'm fairly certain the rules have changed and precisely because customers were using that loophole to avoid the ETF.

On the bright side, it's an easy opportunity to avoid the monthly extended warranty increase. I know it's not much, but worth a phone call.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I feel that if you are paying for service no one has a right to listen/read.

Examples- If a phone was provided at no cost by the government then the government has a right to listen in, If power was provided free then they have a right to monitor via smartmeters, Same train of thought for internet.

If you are paying for a service the information is yours not the NSA spies.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Well I tried this out myself today. Gave it 24 hours just in case & nada. No dice, doesn't work,

Sorry guys, I was so hoping it would.

new topics

top topics

join