It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Herbology indicates Alien contact

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by MarioOnTheFly

Well thats one way of looking at it. However, when I throw a ball up in the air, it falls to Earth, which is observable evidence for the existence of gravity, making my assertion that I will not suddenly fly off into air a scientific understanding, rather than a belief.

Belief without evidence is a matter of faith, and has no place in the discussion of the topic in my opinion. There is rather too much of that prattle surrounding this topic, stated as fact, when it is little more than the beginings of a religion.

Personally speaking, I find it is best to seperate my religious mind from my reasoning one, when examining anything with reason, because unless I do so I cannot be objective, or indeed accurate.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

observable evidence for the existence of gravity

indeed...we observe it...yet no scientist on earth can explain it to you...why does gravity exist and what makes it work. They "believe" it has something to do with mass and a hypothetical particle named graviton...which are as yet unproven to exist...but the force that we observe is taken for granted. We have no evidence for it's "inner" workings...it just simply is.

Numerous people around the world claim...they observed UFO's...but have no evidence. Unfortunately, the phenomenon is not that wide spread as to be obvious to everyone...as gravity is.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by AlienView

People who are in tune with their bodies can detect subtle changes within their body.

I would suspect that once the connection was made between an herb and an effect, it ushered in an explosion of people trying various things to see what the effect was. I would also imagine that a lot of people died as a result.

But then again, also remember that humans are ever present observers. Seeing a monkey avoid a plant is likely an indication you should too.

But even animals like primates and monkeys, even my dog, use some form of herbalism. Ever seen drunk monkeys eating rotting fruit?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
My cats eat only a certain grass, surely the aliens taught them that

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by MarioOnTheFly

Scientists as a rule do not "believe things". What they do is assemble theories which seem to do a decent job of explaining the universe and things within it, which at the present time seem the most complete. Over time, thier understanding may improve, a theory be amended or even discarded in the face of new, better understanding.

However, thier preference for one theory over another is based on available evidence, observation, and repeatable results in experimentation. It is why science transcends race and religion, why there are scientists from every even slightly developed culture on this planet. Because of this, if you want to prove something to the vast majority of human beings, you do not use the methods of some half baked psuedo religious belief, but the methods of experimentation, observation, and applying the understanding you gain from those to the every day world, which is precisely how this apparantly interesting, but probably mundane herbology issue came to our attention.

Yeah, sure, aliens right? Nope. Science is just a fancy word for the way our ancestors developed thier reasoning skills, back when the difference between a good theory and a bad one was a severe gastro intestinal collapse and eventual death for those who made an error, by eating the wrong coloured berry.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Unas figured out that some plants are stargates and he ate their flesh and went to their world and took over. he took over many homeworlds but the tides are turning and he will soon step down. There is only one plant that takes you to the creator and the rest are overcome with violence and hate. All you have to do is follow the effects of a plant to know what aspects the home world will have. If you die without finding a gate then you are trapt here and current society hides the truth.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

The only thing you got right is that even monkeys know how to medicate themselves naturally, not only monkeys but many other animals. We humans not only were capable of learning in the same way but from observing other animals...

Even more complicated than medicine would be how we discovered some poisons...

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I'm with you (gave you a star) but things are not as simple as that

...thier preference for one theory over another is based on available evidence, observation, and repeatable results in experimentation

This is a very simplistic view of the world, reputation of the claimant or the experimenter has also a great impact. Then there is the evidence that the prominence of some theories over others do not fallow a scientific merit but mostly an human interest (and interests) selection. Like many other things science tends to shift toward the interests of those that can pay for it... and not all science is good science...

edit on 16-7-2013 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

The only thing you got right is that even monkeys know how to medicate themselves naturally, not only monkeys but many other animals.

Here's a video of a few self medicated animals

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I love it! Our ancestors were WAY to stupid to figure out what had medicinal value in the environment around them.

Generations of trial and error led to the understanding of the properties of plants, not aliens! Just because we don't know how things were discovered, transported or built does not mean that it must be due to other worldly intervention.

I am not saying I don't believe in the possibility of alien life, I am just saying I think the OP is vastly underestimating the intelligence of our ancestors. Everything we know today has been built upon the collective knowledge of the people before us, this is how the human race learns...how we use that information is another thread.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
There has never been a drug free society.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I used to play a mental game while walking through a forest of I wonder what that tastes like. Humans played the same game over thousands of years only they took all the risks.

Now say J (o and e had yet to be invented) picked up a mushroom ate it and subsequently asphyxiated and died. Bb (remember O not yet invented) saw J eat that and die, and decided eating that was bad to eat. Bb would also tell his tribe or family DONT eat that it killed J! And they pass it down first verbally and then on cave walls until it is written about

This repeats itself until we have tasted or tried most things we have come across on this planet...

Just remember eating that, killed J![
edit on 16-7-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

U should hear as to how the coffee bean was discovered. Supposedly it was bout a sheep herder, whom I can't remember the name, but he noticed his sheep/or goats weree hyper active for some reason. So one day he followed them, and saw them eating a plant. He to also eat the plant, was supposedly hyper active like his sheep were.

This is according to legend of how coffee was discovered. The discovery of tea is also a legends, and I think its Buddhist one.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Specimen

U should hear as to how the coffee bean was discovered. Supposedly it was bout a sheep herder, whom I can't remember the name, but he noticed his sheep/or goats weree hyper active for some reason. So one day he followed them, and saw them eating a plant. He to also eat the plant, was supposedly hyper active like his sheep were.

This is according to legend of how coffee was discovered. The discovery of tea is also a legends, and I think its Buddhist one.

I have he(a)rd that...lol

Yeah humans are pretty crazy bunch willing to try strange things without adding Aliens in the mix.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Lol. True say.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I can see that happening. I always wondered how they discovered fire and the wheel. They had to have a little help. Even just a push in the right direction. So maybe they got those answers and knowledge from our creators.

I would believe that more than, "Hey you eat that and lets see if you die" type stuff.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
People used to listen to their parents about the important stuff. We are being conditioned to ignore that stuff now so we get dependent on society. If we are dependent on society and the governing body, we cannot live without them. That is why they make us sick, so they can get us reliant on the medicines to get normal again, when all we needed to do is pay attention to what we were taught. Schools are important in this conditioning process yet many teachers do not realize they are even part of it, parroting what they are told without questioning or thoroughly researching it first.

There is not a necessary link between Herbology and Aliens, if anything it would show evidence as to the contrary. Humans have been intelligent for a very long time. If anything we have gotten less intelligent and more gullible lately.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
If anything we have gotten less intelligent and more gullible lately.

This is sadly true, and more apparent with each new generation of teenager. Try reading the Twitter or FB posts of your average western teen these days, root canal is more bearable.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982

Can you imagine the discovery of last year's hops left in water in the grain storage area of the winter shelter?
Pats on the hairy back all around. Hi Fives, even!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join