It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Running that car fuel system cleaner stuff through 4-stroke lawn mower.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Is it worth running a bit of that car fuel system cleaner stuff through a 4-stroke lawn mower to clean the carburetor and such?
Since my 4-stroke lawn mower has been running for 15+ years (It's a Briggs & Stratton) i think it might be a good idea to do a big service on it aka new piston rings,throttle cable,oil change, and spark plug change.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Conspiracyskeptic

Carbon build up and rings will be an issue at this stage.
Some fuel system additive/cleaner cant hurt though.

Ed: hope you haven't waited 15 yrs. for an oil change !?

edit on 16-7-2013 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Conspiracyskeptic

The carburettor on your Briggs and Stratton should not really require cleaning, assuming that the air/dust filter has been kept clean(by soaking it in petrol overnight),if the filter is either dirty or clogged the engine would be difficult to start anyway.
Before you undertake a major overhaul, check the compression in the engine, simply by removing the air filter and placing the palm of your hand against the carburettor intake, if there is sufficient suction to enable you to feel your palm being sucked with enough suction to cause the engine to cut out,it should be ok.a very small amount of Redex added to the petrol before each use should ensure that carbon deposits are burned off.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
One thing I learned throughout the years:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Timely

No i have not waited 15 years to do an oil change it's just i've noticed there's a bit more smoke than usual upon starting it from cold and the throttle doesn't seem as responsive then i looked at the throttle cable and noticed it has gotten bent and that's likely the reason why the throttle dosn't seem as responsive.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by nake13

It's likely been awhile since the mower's air filter was last cleaned.But my Morrison rotary hoe is in even worse condition than my mower it hasn't had an oil change or new spark plug for years plus the petrol/gasoline just sits in the tank since it hardly gets used but once i get it started and tune it,it runs just fine.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Would mixing some Marvel Mystery Oil in with the fuel do the mower any good?
Just asking since i think i might be able to get it in my country of New Zealand.

top topics

join