It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Edward Snowden nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Oh please!

Continue making a mockery of the Nobel Peace Prize.

How about actually nominate someone who actually deserves it.

Instead of reality tv stars.

since when was snowden a reality TV star? Do you think he did what he did for his 15 minutes of fame? Are you saying putting his life on the line, giving up his freedom and spending the rest of his life on the run to provide truth to the people and uncover corruption isnt a deserved cause?

I'm 100% behind Snowden and anybody else who does what he did.
edit on 16-7-2013 by Silicis n Volvo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by TFCJay
I wonder if there are any regrets for giving one to Obama - who clearly did nothing to earn it - which, coincidently, cheapened the award.

It should have been revoked by now.
The man has expanded everything Bush began with the Patriot Act, drone strikes increased exponentially under his watch, mass surveillance and the building of the Utah facility, continuation of illegal detention... I could continue for hours.

Awarding it to Obama didn't just cheapen the Nobel Peace Prize, it's completely discredited it in the eyes of the world. Awarding it to Snowden (which will not happen) would change nothing in my opinion. It's a mockery and will remain so as long as Obama is on that list.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The person who discovers a cure for cancer would not get the Nobel Peace Prize they would be awarded the Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine!

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I suspect many other countries will be weighing in as well. As time goes by the world will see that he is truly a pacifist, which is a notable quality to have for a person in nomination for the 'peace' prize. I still think he should not stand alone in this, but he should at least be held in nomination next to his contemporaries - fellow peace activists equally persecuted by the US government, Bradly Manning and Julian Assange.

As the 'selection' of Obama for the Nobel Prize for Peace made a mockery of it all, so does his 'election' make a mockery of the office of President of the United States.

Russian Leaders Say that Edward Snowden Deserves the Nobel Peace Prize
July 12, 2013

Member[s] of the State Duma, Russia’s Lower House of Parliament, are expressing strong support for Edward Snowden to receive the Nobel Peace Prize. Snowden has been running from US authorities after revealing that the National Security Administration (NSA) has been illegally wire tapping the communications of nearly every American citizen for years.
United Russia representative Alexander Sidyakin has said that Snowden is a worthy candidate for the Nobel Peace Prize.
“I join the opinion that we by no means should expel him. I think Snowden is a great pacifist. This man has done no less to get the Nobel Peace Prize than US President Barack Obama,” said Sidyakin.
The opinion received further support from Kirill Kabanov, a member of the presidential Council for Human Rights:
“His motives were not material; his differences were not differences with the ideology of the United States. He defended his own constitution, the defended democracy in the United States,” Kabanov said.
Russia has considered granting political asylum to Snowden, as US authorities are seeking to get him back. Snowden is a former intelligence analyst with the NSA and has been on the run since he made his revelation. Snowden told the public about PRISM, a massive data mining and surveillance program that the US government did not acknowledge to even exist.
Snowden has been charged by US authorities with theft of government property, unauthorized communication of national defense information and willful communication of classified communications intelligence. Each of the charges carries a maximum 10-year prison sentence.

edit on 16-7-2013 by Lysistrata because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Samuelis

This would go somewhere towards restoring the credibility of the Nobel Peace Prize after somehow it was awarded to Obama in 2009.

Amen. That made a mockery of it.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Assuming the award has something to do with peace, please look at the effects his actions have had so far. The most obvious result is increased suspicion and criticism of several nations.

But how does than curing cancer have anything to do with world peace ?? He suggested that they should give it to someone who cures cancer? Why ? Isn't it a "peace prize" ? I don't think that promoting peace has anything to do with curing illness.

Snowden is promoting peace in a way...by exposing lies that ordinary people usually swallow and follow...especially in to war. After Snowden...I'm certain there will be at least a drop in numbers of die hard Gov supporters...as it is evident even here on ATS.

He has started something...we do not know yet...what the end result will be...

By exposing lies...you in fact promote peace...because...people go to war over lies. A clear evidence of this...is the infamous IRAQ WMD's. A lie that promoted war...and many innocent people died on both sides. So his nomination has valid basis in my book.

Go Snowden !!!!

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Lysistrata

It's good to see some support coming in for snedward. I wonder if Venezuela or Iceland will also weigh in?

No matter how unlikely the chance of winning is, it's helping to keep the discussion going on such a worthy cause. Thanks for posting.
edit on 16-7-2013 by Samuelis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by MarioOnTheFly

By exposing lies...you in fact promote peace..

Exactly what I think, he's working to give us the ultimate peace of mind, by defending our right to privacy. Nothing could be more worthy. Secrecy promotes division.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Samuelis

By exposing lies...you in fact promote peace..

Exactly what I think, he's working to give us the ultimate peace of mind, by defending our right to privacy. Nothing could be more worthy. Secrecy promotes division.

indeed...let us not forget...

"The very word "secrecy" is repugnant in a free and open society; and we are as a people inherently and historically opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths and secret proceedings. We decided long ago that the dangers of excessive and unwarranted concealment of pertinent facts far outweighed the dangers which are cited to justify it.

...you know who it is....

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Snowden is showing the world how to be ethically responsible

How so?
By running to the 2 LARGEST SPIES in the world Russia and China.

You should get the facts right before spouting off so much...........Snowden did no such thing, and China never even enters the picture. You are making things up!

BTW - V Putin is at least 100,000 times more credible that BHO - in all respects.........!

Putin accuses US of 'trapping' Snowden in Russia

Putin accused Washington of preventing Snowden from leaving Russia after the fugitive ex-intelligence analyst arrived from Hong Kong on June 23.

"He arrived on our territory uninvited, he did not fly to us, he was flying in transit to other countries," Putin said in televised remarks.
"But as soon as he was in the air, it became known, and our American partners essentially blocked off his further flight."
Snowden was checked in for a flight from Moscow to Havana, Cuba on June 24 but never boarded the plane.
"They themselves scared off all the other countries, no one wants to take him, and therefore they essentially themselves trapped him on our territory," Putin said.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Every time I read that quote I read it in his voice. As relevant as ever.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Lysistrata

Right on!

This argument that he is a traitor doesn't hold much water. There's no evidence to suggest he has been irresponsible with the information as of yet, so any arguments to the contrary are pure speculation.

The man deserves the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. Innocent until proven guilty.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   

reply to post by SpaDe_

Who in your opinion is a more deserving person to receive this once coveted award?

Someone who cures cancer.

I think your confusing the Nobel Peace Prize with the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Samuelis

Increased world safety? It's creating an even wider rift and tension between the US, Russia and China. It's made just about every ally and trading partner of the US suspicious. I don't think it's made the world safer.

It's made us live closer to reality than the dream world bubble we were in, but we're not safer, in fact, now that the cat is out of the bag, a coup or police state takeover is more likely.

I don't know, I just think he'd have to kill a few thousand brown people with drones to qualify for a peace prize

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

It's creating an even wider rift and tension between the US, Russia and China. It's made just about every ally and trading partner of the US suspicious.

In a political sense it has risen tensions between countries. But on the back of that it has created a more fair and safe environment for global governments to operate in. Enhancing democracy for each individual country. Let's not forget allied nations were also included in the leaks. Fair point though.

Haha I think your right snedward needs to invest in some drones, then he'll win for sure.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

It's creating an even wider rift and tension between the US, Russia and China. It's made just about every ally and trading partner of the US suspicious

rightly so..wouldn't you say ?

Wouldn't you be suspicious of your neighbor if you found out that he was listening in on your conversations? You wouldn't ? Please...don't lie to yourself.

I fail to see how you guys simply neglect the fact the US is illegally spying. Now, maybe you justify that to your self. But other nations don't have to.

And if anyone is suspicious about US...they have a pretty damn good reason for it.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
This would essentially tell the world of covert spying, and intelligence officials who are in bed with eachother to F- off. I really hope that he wins this prize, and gets a little credibilty back for himself. Since his reveal of spying, the US gov, has gone to great lengths to damage his name, and paint him as a traitor. which is total Bull-Sh@t
edit on 16-7-2013 by Glassbender777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne

reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

Sorry someone deserving the the NPP is one who brings people together not have them fighting with other countries, and themselves.

PEACE?

Snowden?

That is a joke because the world hates this country even more than it use to.

The world doesn't hate this country, they hate our government, there is a big difference, and that's a bit cynical of you Neo, I've read your posts for years and I'm surprised to see you say that. People of the world don't understand how we allow it to continue, but they don't hate us for it, they are saddened.

Before there can be peace, the people controlling things have to be brought down. Snowden has brought us one step closer to that reality, and we can use every bit of help we get. I applaud him, and he is one of the first great men of our time to lay on the sword for FREEDOM.

~Namaste

The world doesn't hate this country, they hate our government,
2nd

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Glassbender777

the US gov, has gone to great lengths to damage his name, and paint him as a traitor.

Rather unsuccessfully too I might add. They didn't have much ammunition so they had to resort to the China bad Russia bad tactic. Which is basically an appeal to patriotism. That and repeatedly screaming TRAITOR!

and Snowden has remained pretty well liked, except for a few here and there.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by shauny

The world doesn't hate this country, they hate our government,
2nd

This is true. Americans are great people, but I'm judging from my experience on Ats. And TV

edit on 16-7-2013 by Samuelis because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join