It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When you "dream" about someone, are they "dreaming" with you?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

I assume that when we are awake, having a body to move around locks us into the body that's locked into its present reality. But this present reality has been learnt over a long time, young kids seem to be half in a dream state, talking to people that we cant see etc. but as the brain gets programed it changes. All the conclusions of the dream state depend on remembering what happened, if its lucid the memory of it is clear. If not it can be a bit of a kalidiscope of bits and pieces.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I find dreaming incredibly fascinating! I have often wondered the same thing. I believe anything truly is possible. I think there are times we are dreaming of someone who is dreaming of us. Now I do not claim this from personal experience but think about how many dreams we each night that we do not remember. .So that would easily make it possible for someone else to not remember the dream they were in with us. I once red that every single face you see in your dreams is a face you have once seen. Think about how many faces we see everyday!

I think we all experience dreaming differently depending on how in touch we are with our minds. I know lucid dreaming is real from experience. However I am not 100% sure on my belief of where we actually are when we are dreaming. The topic is so complex and understudied so most of what we have to go of off is hearsay.

I too have incredible, vivid, emotional, sometimes wacky dreams! I enjoy going to bed at night for this reason. I am excited to see where I will go and how much control I will have over my situation. I often wake up groggy because I was so busy! It is nice to see that there are so many people who share similar experiences. Sometimes all of the dreaming/living and the feeling of constantly being "on" worries me but dreaming is not a option for me. I think deja vu is something you have once dreamt off. There are also times when I will see or touch a object and I have a mini flashback to a dream I had. There have been times where continuous events happen in my dreams and end up coming true. Weird right?

This was a good read before bed!

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Cybernet

I must say that I have no idea! I will say that I dream every single night. I believe I have what is known as eeg sleep anamoly.. which basically means that for whatever reason, my brain gets kicked out of the deep sleep.. which ensues a constant dream state when sleeping (of course, its more complicated, but that's the general idea).. For this reason, I can sometimes manipulate my dreams. I have even KNOWN I was dreaming.. in my dream I will even tell myself "You are dreaming"! I sometimes try to wake up, but I cannot. Other times, I have woken up just a few minutes after. It's usually never scary, just something ordinary, yet I know it's a dream and not reality when it is happening and sometimes I can create things to happen.

But on the other hand, some dreams are SO realistic that it is almost unbelievable. I dream of 1 person in general quite often.I have not seen them in several years. I often think it might be my mind trying to create closure to something that was very emotional to me for a long time. In my dream, we are doing ordinary things, talking, going out, etc.. My dream always ends with no real "substance" concluded though - sort of like real life. Is this my mind's way of trying to find that closure? Maybe somewhere deep down, I miss this person and my mind is lonely for them? Perhaps they are thinking/dreaming of me and somehow I am being told of this? Maybe there is no reason and it is just random.

Since I am able to manipulate some dreams - but others seem like complete reality - I really cannot come to any conclusion. I really liked this thread and your questions though!

Maybe an alternate reality? Maybe our mind's wander to other people's minds? Maybe other possibilities that could have happened? or possibly just our brains shooting out images and we make them into a story somewhere along the way before waking.

I would be kind of embarrassed sometimes if the people I dreamed of had any inkling of it though!

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I have thought this before. I think when we dream of someone else, it maybe/probably really is them. I don't think this implies they would be aware of a shared dream the next day, however. I think it is more like you synch up with their subconscious, allowing a subconscious projection of them(actually them, but beneath the level of conscious awareness) to manifest in your dream.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by TheJourney

Its a very interesting subject, ie. does being "non conscious" in the body, equal the dream reality state. Which includes the dead, and people in vegetative states etc. If we have proof (it only needs to be personal) that we can share dreams, and they are extrasomatic, like the internet and books are extrasomatic knowledge, then it sort of proves the dream state, exists in an extrasomatic reality. which might be the true reality, which we exist in for a greater time than we might inhabit a body.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Nope. Not unless it's by coincidence.
If you show me some evidence to the contrary I may change my mind, but until then it's just a pretty thought with no backing.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Sometimes I've had dreams during the day that feature other people I know, and the content of the dream is actually real. I'm am aware in my dream of them doing something that afternoon at a far distance and thinking of me. Sometimes I even hear actual words that were spoken as if I was eavesdropping somehow. I know for a fact that others can appear in our dreams, but they are only there as a messenger as far as I have experienced. I suppose people could act and react within a simultaneous dream state. It would be totally crazy if a sleeping dreaming person could interact with a waking ''dreaming'' person. At that point I think the intrusion would become very disturbing if it was not able to be blocked out when the sleeper needed to block it out. The awake person would definitely have to be feeling odd intuitive senses. I don't know. I definitely know I have heard an awake person's voice in my sleeping dreams.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   
There are definitely mind power connections going on in the world. How to develop it is the question.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by anonentity

I have often wondered if we go into a dream state once we die.
Maybe the dream state is our place of origin, and this physical life is just one of many dream realities we have somehow entered into.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I would like to thank everyone for the very interesting comments so far. I've read through all of them and will try my best to reply back to every single one soon

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

One of the side effects of restless legs is that I spend a lot of time coming in and out of dreams at night. What I find fascinating is who is controlling the mental processes of the other people in my dream? Like you, my dreams are always first person and it seems like in a dream state I am experiencing everything from my perspective. That means that my consciousness has the ability to create and control other people in a dream and keep that separate from my own conscious. I can't control what they say or do and they really do seem to have a mind of their own. A few nights ago I had the most bizarre experience during a dream. I had just fallen asleep and my wife was in my dream. It was very mundane but in my dream I mentioned that it felt like deja vu and I knew what she was going to say. I then realized that it wasn't deja vu and as I realized it was a dream I will never forget the look on her face. It was almost a smirk as if to say the gig is up and I know you realize this is a dream. I felt myself wake up and reach over to pat my wife and tell her about my dream. The next thing I knew I woke up from that and she wasn't even in the bed. Unfortunately I can't convey the creepiness in a post but the intricate layers my conscious can create and splinter in to is very disconcerting.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

When you "dream" about someone, are they "dreaming" with you?

I saw a video on this subject on You Tube a couple of years ago... the content suggested that if the subjects were closely familiar with one another and if they had recently shared some event or memorable moment, the chances of connective dreaming was possible.

Personally, I don't subscribe a lot to the notion because even reaching a state of being capable of lucid dreaming (aware that you are in a dream) on your own is fairly rare. (There are several methods that are supposed to assist in learning how to dream lucidly and I have tried a few with... well, modest results.) Connective dreaming is a full, giant step beyond that.

I guess it is and will be... for now, anyway, an entirely personal experience.

My dime.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I used to wonder this until i had a dream about a girl i work with, i knew she wasn't sleeping at the time because i had been on the nightshift and i was sleeping during the day while she was working.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by liverlad

You've also got to ask the question, does the person that your dreaming about want to interact? or are they just random encounters that when you wake up just get put in the "food for thought pile". You can definiatly direct a dream before you go to sleep. But if you just, observe what happens in them they do seem to have logical flow, even though disjointed. Id hazard that the disjointedness might be a natural scrambler,
I've had dreams of making out with a female that I have known, but not having any relationship with, and have got some very strange looks the next time i've met her. Then now and again have had trysts with past lovers, that seem very real, which gives the sexual chakra a bit of a credence boost.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
We've been dreaming since we've been human so if we really shared dreams it would be common knowledge by now. The fact that there aren't any verified instances of this happening means it's probably not the case.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by evictiongnostic

I beg to differ, if shared dreaming were an "accepted" fact, it would have a massive effect on the modern society, In the book "The Golden bough" It states that in New Guinea the natives hold friends and whoever responsable for whatever happens in there dreams. The Author states a very angry native came up to him and had a good go at him for stealing his pig during the night in a dream.(off the top of my head).
If as a modern society we accepted shared dreaming as a fact. Whether real or not, not much could remain secret, and the whole modern society is based on each individual having packets of information and not the whole, even if we could understand the whole.
A dream like everything else is "Information" if the information so garnered is valid and usefull to the waking state, our whole reason for living would be altered. In fact all of our programing would have to be relearnt, which when adult might be a near impossibility.
I don't think one would have to look far for reasonable proof of shared dreaming, whether the proof meets a sceptics level of proof, is another dilemma, because its subjective. It dosn't meet the repeatability requirement, but that might be the skill level of the dreamer. As its not taught in the mainstream, probably never will.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Why don't you hold hands with someone and ask them to think about the same thing that you are?

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SystemResistor

Which is an interesting concept, if memory and consciousness is stored outside the brain and the carrier is electrical impulses, why shouldn't it be possible to get in synch with another persons nervous system.?
I had a weird dream the other night the only bit I remember is having an interesting conversation with another guy, the words I remember were when he said "When I was alive". I'm sure we delete most of the memories from this side of consciousness, because it would be hard to have two lives.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

I have dreamed of people and they have not dreamed of me because I have told them my dreams (maybe they just didn't recall theirs, if they had also dreamed of me).

But I will say this: I once had a dream (while I was sleeping during the daytime) that my grandmother was at Store X, where she was looking at furniture. I know of Store X, had been there before, but they didn't sell furniture (at that time).

I talked to my grandmother that same day after I awoke, and she told me how she went to Store X and they now sell furniture (because she saw it, and was looking at it).

Was I seeing through her eyes and dreaming what she was seeing in her own reality/life?

edit on 12-8-2013 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join