It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Impassioned Speech: Agree or Disagree?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
We all have our biases. Whenever we come to a position, our minds lodge it into a cognitive system called "system 1" by psychologist Daniel Kahneman. System 1 is fast, intuitive, and automatic thinking. System 2 in contrast is slow, analytical, and rational thinking.

Whenever we speak, were always in danger of letting system 1 take over our rational faculties. This happens whenever we become impassioned. It is unavoidable. Your automatic system 1 thinking will inject personal biases into your speech regardless of what you subjectively think is going on.

Thus, if you want to be rational, you have to be slow, and you have to calm yourself.

Agree, or disagree?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astrocyte
Thus, if you want to be rational, you have to be slow, and you have to calm yourself.

Agree, or disagree?

I'll think about it.

Seriously, I always try to mull a situation over and read all about it before I make a judgment or take a position on it. So, I would say that I agree.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Astrocyte

Agreed. However you should not forget to use system 1 as well. I have been in electronics all my life. It used to upset the NASA engineers when I would have the answer almost instantly to a problem but not be able to explain WHY it was that way for a while. It would take system 2 a little time to be able to give an explanation. They learned to accept my initial answers during time short problems on faith from past experience but if there was time they would demand an explanation.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

edit on 15-7-2013 by tinhattribunal because: (no reason given)

i think actual intuition, like what the poster above me is relating, would be a seperate process from normal front brain speaking.

note... i tried to apply both #1 and #2 at the same time which is why i had to edit out my originial post.
edit on 15-7-2013 by tinhattribunal because: (no reason given)

top topics

join