It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harry Reid: Republicans can avoid Senate rules change if they confirm 7 Obama nominations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Wow.. What a generous guy. He won't change Senate rules in ways he's said he wouldn't in the past..and fought like mad to prevent when HE was among the minority, but lets see what he has to say about it now?

WASHINGTON (AP) — Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid says Republicans can avoid a change in Senate filibuster rules only if they confirm seven presidential appointees they've been blocking.

Speaking to the liberal-leaning Center for American Progress, Reid said Monday that a partial deal to confirm fewer than those seven will not suffice.

Well, I see. So it's a "Do it my way or else" type of thing. That would border very close to a criminal charge if done in any other circumstances and by someone other than a sitting US Senator. Interesting..but not as interesting as this bit.

He again threatened to change Senate rules to allow simple-majority votes for presidential nominees other than judges, calling such a move, "a minor change, no big deal." He added that it would be the easiest way to avoid such infighting.
Source

Okay.. I'll go with no big deal, on one condition. Given how he seems happy as a clam to be issuing ultimatums and conditions himself these days..... If he'll remember how 'minor' and 'no big deal' this rule change is when HIS SIDE is just a hair under the 49/51 split the next time ...and is told to sit down, shut up and deal with the fact anyone the ruling party wants will be confirmed into these positions ...without so much as a "what's your opinion?" required by HIS party.

Somehow...I'm thinking Harry won't be NEARLY as casual about it when that time comes and it's his own butt being thrown into the "who gives a hoot what you think" bin. We'll see...as folks like me will absolutely never forget this to remind him and his whole crew about when they scream bloody murder on the tables turned later with their OWN rule change.

Crazy times.. Crazier people..

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Harry Reid has finally surpassed John Kerry to attain the title of "World's Most Notorious Flip-Flopper". Methinks there may be a mid-term election bumper sticker in that somewhere!

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Well, I see. So it's a "Do it my way or else" type of thing.

Wrabbit, I see this more of a "You scratch my back, I will scratch yours" scenario. I think the sense of force or of this being an ultimatum is inherent with politics.

I would call this "politicking" as per usual. Yes it seems ironic and dare i say hypocritical.
edit on 15-7-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Oh, it's not Earth Shattering in being a line never approached or crossed before, of course. These days, with so many things actually qualifying that way, I know it can get a little mundane for these more common outrages.

However, the bottom line here is that under the rule change, a class of Presidential Appointees would literally be rubber stamped through without debate, serious challenge possible or even a vetting worth the term ....if President and Senate are of the same Party. I'm thinking as much about long term and how I'd have felt with Bush holding this power with a rubber stamping Senate as Obama. Bush had full control of both houses of Congress for a short time, just as Obama has.

The fact they do infight SO much, whether privately on the same side most of the time or not, is what keeps the true radicals and extremes of right OR left from taking appointed positions in Government. One side will scream from the rooftops if an appointment is too far out of line. Changing the rules to a simple majority means 51 votes sets the appointment and to hell with what any minority opinions may have been.

What gets me is how critically short sighted it is...as if SO arrogant as to be sure Republicans will never retake the Senate. That approach is such ignorance of history to support such Hubris that it's obscene to watch, IMO.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
His own words.

Reid needs to quit

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Taking all the power positions.
so later he will not Need to ask any thing.
just get what he wont.

Dictatorship...

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Oh, it's not Earth Shattering in being a line never approached or crossed before, of course. These days, with so many things actually qualifying that way, I know it can get a little mundane for these more common outrages.

Quite true. Perhaps my complacency is a sign that we, or at least myself, has been conditioned to shrug off these contemptuous situations as business as normal.

However, the bottom line here is that under the rule change, a class of Presidential Appointees would literally be rubber stamped through without debate, serious challenge possible or even a vetting worth the term ....if President and Senate are of the same Party. I'm thinking as much about long term and how I'd have felt with Bush holding this power with a rubber stamping Senate as Obama. Bush had full control of both houses of Congress for a short time, just as Obama has.

The future implications of such actions would be significant for sure, but not to detract from its significance, couldn't the next administration just reverse all previous postings if it so desired?

What gets me is how critically short sighted it is...as if SO arrogant as to be sure Republicans will never retake the Senate. That approach is such ignorance of history to support such Hubris that it's obscene to watch, IMO.

It certainly sets an unusual precedence. How easy would this rule be to repeal? I am sure the GOP is well aware of the implications of such a ruling and would probably would not be open to touching this with 100ft pole unless they knew they could counter it at some point.

Perhaps this is an attempt to get key people into positions strictly to enact policy during end of this term only?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I'm utterly dumbfounded as to how this asshat keeps getting reelected.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Maybe if the GOP didn't insist on abusing the filibuster Reid wouldn't need to say anything.

Record number of cloture votes, dozens of positions left unfilled. I think Harry's been waiting too long to do this.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Harry's words:

He again threatened to change Senate rules to allow simple-majority votes for presidential nominees other than judges, calling such a move, "a minor change, no big deal." He added that it would be the easiest way to avoid such infighting.

I bet he senses some trouble with the yahoos up for nomination !!

I swear some of Nancy's bad habits are rubbing off.

Now he sees an opportunity for blackmail.

Who's up for hearings anyway ?

They must be a weird lot.

Almost all of Obama's 'nominations' have been from his den of iniquity.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Harry Reid is about the biggest jackass in the senate.
Not surprised though. When things don't go his way, he whines like a little kid.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234
Maybe if the GOP didn't insist on abusing the filibuster Reid wouldn't need to say anything.

Record number of cloture votes, dozens of positions left unfilled. I think Harry's been waiting too long to do this.

Thank God there's some sane people left in Congress !!

Just think how far down the drain we would be without any resistance to the loonies.

Ineptitude Incorporated

All the Democrats have to do is agree with Republicans once in a while.....problem solved !

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman

Harry Reid is about the biggest jackass in the senate.
Not surprised though. When things don't go his way, he whines like a little kid.

He's still in a neck and neck race with Slimeball Schumer for the title of biggest jackass.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Well, it make the news during the last election. Unions, in Las Vegas, bussed in workers and looked over their shoulders when they voted. Did not make national news, did it?

new topics

top topics

join