Is needing or wanting to worshiping a God a human defect or benefit?

page: 2
7
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealTruthSeeker

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by RealTruthSeeker
 

Is God a philosopher?
Is God a philosophy?

edit on 15-7-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)


Ask Plato, he seemed to have all the answers.
edit on 16-7-2013 by RealTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

Where is Plato? Is he actual or is he just a thought?




posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Originally posted by RealTruthSeeker

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by RealTruthSeeker
 

Is God a philosopher?
Is God a philosophy?

edit on 15-7-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)


Ask Plato, he seemed to have all the answers.
edit on 16-7-2013 by RealTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

Where is Plato? Is he actual or is he just a thought?


LOL, I know you've read this guy. en.wikipedia.org... Pretty deep when he's not going in circles.



posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealTruthSeeker

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Originally posted by RealTruthSeeker

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by RealTruthSeeker
 

Is God a philosopher?
Is God a philosophy?

edit on 15-7-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)


Ask Plato, he seemed to have all the answers.
edit on 16-7-2013 by RealTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

Where is Plato? Is he actual or is he just a thought?


LOL, I know you've read this guy. en.wikipedia.org... Pretty deep when he's not going in circles.

I cannot ask Plato. He is no more.



posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain
 


Maybe your question has already been answered by him. Maybe Plato asked himself the same questions, his book might have answers that you can expand upon.



posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealTruthSeeker
reply to post by Itisnowagain
 


Maybe your question has already been answered by him. Maybe Plato asked himself the same questions, his book might have answers that you can expand upon.

I am asking you what you think.



posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Originally posted by RealTruthSeeker
reply to post by Itisnowagain
 


Maybe your question has already been answered by him. Maybe Plato asked himself the same questions, his book might have answers that you can expand upon.

I am asking you what you think.


If your asking if I think God is a philosopher, I would say no. God (at lest the one I believe in) is pretty good about saying things rather clearly.

Is God a philosophy? I guess that depends on your view God.
edit on 16-7-2013 by RealTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Greatest I am
 


Great thread, i think this is a valid question and really gets to the heart of what religion is all about.

I really think human kind is still in its infancy. If not its infancy, then maybe its a toddler. Sure we have made some amazing advancements, but in the grand scheme of things we are still hanging out in our crib throwing tantrums if we don't get what we want.

Religion is a way for humans to fill the void they feel because they are all alone. There is no one greater than them that we know of, so where there is absence they fill the space with an imaginary being that is far greater and more powerful than themselves. Religious people have a need to be ruled, to be told what to do and what not to do. They need the motivation of not only punishment for misdeeds, but an ultimate reward as well.

There is zero evidence that any of the thousands of deities through out time are real, yet people by the millions retain a death grip on the ideas of the deity. IMO this is all out of fear of the unknown and the desire to be lead.

It is far easier to follow orders than to give them, and following the imagined orders of a "God" justify anything if spun correctly.

So, to answer your question, is it a defect, i would say no, not a defect. I would instead say that religion is a weakness, a weakness that can, and will be overcome someday. I just don't see that day coming any time soon.

DC



posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical
 





No it isn't. Everyone worships at least one thing, most worship several. Worship is nothing more than ascribing great worth to someone or something.


What you describe is respect and appreciation. Worship is obsession, and that's a sickness.



posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
reply to post by NOTurTypical
 





No it isn't. Everyone worships at least one thing, most worship several. Worship is nothing more than ascribing great worth to someone or something.


What you describe is respect and appreciation. Worship is obsession, and that's a sickness.


Sorry, can't find a single definition that either uses the word "obsession" or "sickness". In fact, most say "great admiration or regard". Everyone on Earth worships at least one thing, most people worship several.



posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by Greatest I am
 


The true God does not want anything to complete itself as it has all there is - it is all that is. But it can only know this when it recognizes this truth. God is not God until he sees that it is all God.
edit on 15-7-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)


Mind telling us how you know this?

Does this insecure God have a name?

Regards
DL



posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Visitor2012
It's the nature of all of us, to seek the boundlessness of our own existence. It could be in the form of a search for an external God, the Universe, something within yourself or outside of yourself, using tools like science, religion or spirituality. And that drive, desire or search is as natural as a tree growing in the Forrest. All of these methods of searching for answers sprout from the same root within us all. So to call one method, a defect or benefit , is a judgment nobody is qualified to make, because we're ALL doing the same thing.

If you are trying to grow in your understanding of your place within this Universe, regardless of your approach to the problem, ask yourself: 'Is my yearning a defect or a benefit?' . Your answer is the only Honest one you're going to get.


edit on 15-7-2013 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)


I can understand the seeking. As a Gnostic Christian, that is what I do. Even after my apotheosis, I set aside the God I found, raise the bar of my expectation and continued seeking the next step of Jacob's ladder. So to speak.

Believers in no way seek the boundlessness of their own existence because they have settled on idol worshipping their Godinabook.

I would say that is a defect.

Regards
DL



posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined
reply to post by Greatest I am
 



In a sense, you should feel sorry for those few who make it to heaven as they must spend eternity watching their loved ones in purposeless torture. That would drive any moral person insane.


This must be part of your defective thinking you mentioned.

What possibly led you to that conclusion? What do you think heaven is?

What makes you think that any other kind of life would be better?

What do you expect in an afterlife?


Not to have to watch the vast majority of us be tortured without purpose.

How does the God you follow dole out his reward and punishment after death if not the traditional Christian way?

Regards
DL



posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by logical7
reply to post by Greatest I am
 


SnF!

Worshipping God is our need and its for our own benefit.
Humans have an inherent need to worship/to be spiritual and if its not God that they worship then they start worshipping self, fame, power, money etc.
If the self/desires are given the highest priority the person sooner or later would start wronging people around.
Even worshipping God but with the aim of pleasing the self is useless in the eyes of God as it would again just make the person self-righteous and arrogant.
God commands sincere worship that is directed towards God alone and only this kind of worship improves the person making him/her humble and compassionate, and only these people truly deserve Heaven.
Avoiding sins/wrongs to avoid hell and doing good deeds to get Heaven are also good enough motivators although not the best but even here consciousness of God would be good.


So worshipping is self-serving and beneficial to us.
God then does not care if we worship or not.
Is that about right?

As to your last, are you saying that even good atheists will end in heaven?

Regards
DL



posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealTruthSeeker
reply to post by Itisnowagain
 


I don't see how worshiping a god could be a defect, that just doesn't make sense. Naturally there are benefits for praying, but when doing so you should be praying for others and not your self, "For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him." Matthew 6:8

"......For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered." Romans 8:26

Don't get me wrong, I slide a few in for myself, but I see it as benefit for others. I pray for my friends all the time, I can't say for sure if it was my prayer alone that the prayer was granted, but I do believe it helps.
edit on 15-7-2013 by RealTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)



Do you see the ego self-gratification you enjoy?

Look at me, God answered my prayer. Wow, aren't I special to have God's ear.

Don't you see the self-centeredness of what you are thinking?

Regards
DL



posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by Greatest I am
 



Gods have no needs or wants and has no rewards to give in exchange for what Gods have no need or want of.

Correct. And 'worshipping' some "God" because one is convinced that 'we were made by God to worship him' is silly, in my opinion. Also, I agree with there are no rewards or benefits that can't be enjoyed by focusing on OUR FELLOW HUMANS, and their best interests....
heaven and hell should have NOTHING to do with it.

That will be 2 cents, please.



You sell your words too cheep.

Regards
DL



posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealTruthSeeker
[

God provides help when he knows you need it. At the same time you should also be giving something back. Respect, maybe.



I could not ignore this.

More than 10 million children starve and die of other preventable causes each and every year of late.

You say your God provides help when needed.

That is an outright lie as far as those dying children are concerned.

Regards
DL



posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I always wonder where worship gets us when someone, through worshipping a God blows themself up and a number of other people they have never met.

I think I remember a newspaper telling everyone that we have a God worshipping gene - does anyone else remember this?



posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
reply to post by Greatest I am
 


I believe that the worship of anything is based on fear. If you were about to get in a gang fight and there's this six-foot-six muscle-bound black belt in karate, which side do you want to be on? His side, right?

The very first of mankind had LOTS to fear. So they created gods for these fearful things so that man could be on the side of the gods.

An earthquake god won't hurt me, I'm on his side.
Pray for the gods to be on our side in this war, and hope that our gods are stronger than their gods.


Worshiping is all about fear. Face it, if it were well known that NO ONE ever gets punished by a god for ANYTHING they do, we'd all say, "Oh, there's a god? Who cares?"
edit on 7/15/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)


No argument as that is an easy reach.

Constantine cashed in on the O T God of war then forced him on the Franks and that is how the West became Christian. Might is what we chose even knowing that we were choosing an immoral genocidal son murderer as our God.

We did and do not care about morals. We only care about power.

Regards
DL



posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by xDeadcowx
reply to post by Greatest I am
 


Great thread, i think this is a valid question and really gets to the heart of what religion is all about.

I really think human kind is still in its infancy. If not its infancy, then maybe its a toddler. Sure we have made some amazing advancements, but in the grand scheme of things we are still hanging out in our crib throwing tantrums if we don't get what we want.

Religion is a way for humans to fill the void they feel because they are all alone. There is no one greater than them that we know of, so where there is absence they fill the space with an imaginary being that is far greater and more powerful than themselves. Religious people have a need to be ruled, to be told what to do and what not to do. They need the motivation of not only punishment for misdeeds, but an ultimate reward as well.

There is zero evidence that any of the thousands of deities through out time are real, yet people by the millions retain a death grip on the ideas of the deity. IMO this is all out of fear of the unknown and the desire to be lead.

It is far easier to follow orders than to give them, and following the imagined orders of a "God" justify anything if spun correctly.

So, to answer your question, is it a defect, i would say no, not a defect. I would instead say that religion is a weakness, a weakness that can, and will be overcome someday. I just don't see that day coming any time soon.

DC


Well put.

I do not agree with your last though.

Religions are shrinking as we speak and stats show that the smarter we get the less we need to assuage our fears with imaginary constructs.

The Noble Lie will end within 40 years if I am correct.

Regards
DL



posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shiloh7
I always wonder where worship gets us when someone, through worshipping a God blows themself up and a number of other people they have never met.

I think I remember a newspaper telling everyone that we have a God worshipping gene - does anyone else remember this?


Not I.

Regards
DL





new topics
top topics
 
7
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join